Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...don't take things so personally mate, BGG was never my main reason for installing Ad-block. The internet is pretty much unbearable without it these days.

Sad Meeple, for a start have you EVER tried to watch youtube videos recently? I can't be bothered to sit through 30 second adverts and music clips just to watch 15 seconds worth of a cute panda sneezing or something.

EDIT: As an aside, I DO kinda feel a little creeped though because if a website can post something like this regardless if you're using Ad-block then it means that they could just post an advert there and other sites can do the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if any of the BGG admin use adblock for Facebook? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Adblock usually blocks images from other sites, my guess is sad meeple is locally hosted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just added a new filter to block Sad Meeple.

Does that make me a bad person?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
nbread wrote:

Don't think of it as adding a filter. Think of it as driving Sad Meeple to suicide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Rodriguez
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I added an exception to my adblock to allow ads from BGG, though I might have to remove it with all the money I'm spending on Kickstarter because of these advertisements
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, the new site doesn't look that different after all. I mean all "new features" have been in hold awaiting the update since before I joined; so sad meeple is a clear indication the new site is live!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orph wrote:
Adblock usually blocks images from other sites, my guess is sad meeple is locally hosted.

Yup. You can block the site that he is hosted from, but you'll get some broken stuff in the form of images elsewhere on the site.

There are other ways, of course, but if you're wondering, that's how it's done. Most likely it looks for a cookie, and, not finding it, substitutes a local pic in place of the intended advertisement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
nbread wrote:

Don't think of it as adding a filter. Think of it as driving Sad Meeple to suicide.

If he is always going to be sad, perhaps it is best that he is put out of his misery. . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
bgdev.club is really a site address, no www or .com needed :)
badge
Join the Board Game Development Club, see behind the scenes, participate in development, add the games you are working on
mbmbmbmbmb
Laudwic wrote:

If he is always going to be sad, perhaps it is best that he is put out of his misery. . . .

There are two easy ways to make the meeple happy instead of dead (disabling adblock on bgg or donating), and dead meeples are no fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
dakarp wrote:

A fine solution: kill the meeple.

RustanR wrote:
There are two easy ways to make the meeple happy instead of dead (disabling adblock on bgg or donating), and dead meeples are no fun.

If I never see the meeple, how can I tell (or care) if he is alive or dead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RustanR wrote:

I'm an Ameritrash gamer, dead meeples sounds like perfect fun to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ham
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
HONK HONK
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
dakarp wrote:

A fine solution: kill the meeple.

RustanR wrote:

If I never see the meeple, how can I tell (or care) if he is alive or dead?

Shrodinger's meeple?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Very Sad Meeple
msg tools
I don't understand what you guys have against me, I only joined BGG to find people to play games with. I'm very sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RustanR wrote:
Laudwic wrote:

Well there's no way on this earth that I'm going to disable adblock.
I guess I've never donated enough every year that I've donated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:
Yup. You can block the site that he is hosted from, but you'll get some broken stuff in the form of images elsewhere on the site.

There are other ways, of course, but if you're wondering, that's how it's done. Most likely it looks for a cookie, and, not finding it, substitutes a local pic in place of the intended advertisement.

I just right-clicked on it and then clicked "block image." I've had no other issues.

I'm curious, if I turn off adblock, but never click an ad, is that any different than having adblock on? Is revenue based on ad clicks or on ad views?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I just did that. Hopefully it works delightfully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Ferdinand
United Kingdom

All Yanks are welcome!
flag msg tools
Cut here
badge
Oi! Not here!
mb
Disgustipater wrote:

I'm curious, if I turn off adblock, but never click an ad, is that any different than having adblock on? Is revenue based on ad clicks or on ad views?

Clicks, according to what a web designer (from another site that uses ads). Although I have no doubt it is noticed if they are blocked as well.

The reason I began blocking ads, beside the obvious reason that they occupy valuable place on my sceen and makes reading and browsing crampy, is because GOOGLE ADS have almost-absolute rule on the internet, and two years ago my PC got severely infected by a virus from the pop-up window(s) that came from clicking on one of them. Until then, I would regularly click on at least two ads each day I visited a page that I wanted to support (this is how it works, economically) whenever my donation budget was depleted.
And yes I know one can report malicious ads and google will promptly remove them, but that is of no use as their threshold of accepting new ads from 3rd party web pages is close to non-existent. I've been in a dialogue with a former Microsoft programmer who's been looking at this subject for a length of time. Therefore: no more ads, especially from Google.
I have a good reputation of donating any cause I support, particularly so if I use their resources frequently and they are doing what they can to give good service to their users.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Disgustipater wrote:

I'm not sure about the Google ads, but ads from publishers and online stores, etc, that purchase ads pay for views. Blocking ads is, then, very different as you are not generating any views so your use of the site incurs bandwidth costs for us without generating any ad revenue in return.

I know ads aren't popular with everyone, but they are necessary for us to keep the site running. I understand why people want to block ads. But it does hurt the site.

We do try to balance the revenue needs of the site with usability. As a compromise, we offer members who donate $25 the option of disabling any or all ads on the site. Official site sanctioned adblock service can also be purchased with geekgold. Either method allows people to block ads while still directly or indirectly supporting the site while doing so.

In a perfect world we wouldn't need ad revenue to stay afloat. But as things are, we heavily rely on ad revenue to keep paying the bills. And even then we'd have a significant shortfall if it weren't for the generosity of folks who pay for supporter badges each year.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
In a perfect world we wouldn't need ad revenue to stay afloat. But as things are, we heavily rely on ad revenue to keep paying the bills. And even then we'd have a significant shortfall if it weren't for the generosity of folks who pay for supporter badges each year.

-MMM

Is BGG set up as a non-profit? Are the books available on BGG somewhere?

I'd feel better about donating more if there is transparency and accountability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the topic of BGG and ad revenue very funny, given that BGG generates so much money for game publishers that its not even funny. I spend thousands of dollars annually based purely on what I've learned on BGG. If anything game publishers should pay you just for being online.

It does tick me off though that although I donate each year, and buy a lot of promos through the BGG store, I must now be forced to look at the Sad Meeple, just because I don't like ads. The main reason I disable ads is that flash animations don't work with my handicap. I suffer from chronic migraine, cluster headaches and SUNCT syndrome, each is, like epilepsy, something easily triggered by animated imagery and flashing lights. I even disable all animated GIFs when I visit BGG so that all smileys and avatars won't sent me into a fit.

Plus, if you could only see the stupid ads I get served. I see crap for dating services, broadband ads from the very company I already use, and t-shirts, but damn few board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Shepherd
United Kingdom
Ovington
Northumberland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't block the ads (weirdly, I don't mind seeing ads for stuff I'm interested in... like, say, boardgames) ... BUT... sad meeple is appearing for a fraction of a second on every page load, before the ads appear... and I find the resulting flash of blue at the right hand side of the screen to be really, really distracting.

I think I might now end up looking at content blocking options *purely* to stop sad meeple in his tracks..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
MrShep wrote:
I don't block the ads (weirdly, I don't mind seeing ads for stuff I'm interested in... like, say, boardgames) ... BUT... sad meeple is appearing for a fraction of a second on every page load, before the ads appear... and I find the resulting flash of blue at the right hand side of the screen to be really, really distracting.

I think I might now end up looking at content blocking options *purely* to stop sad meeple in his tracks..

Hmm... We may have to tweak the timing on the appearance of sad meeple. We don't want it flashing like that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Very Sad Meeple
msg tools
dakarp wrote:
MrShep wrote:

Hmm... We may have to tweak the timing on the appearance of sad meeple. We don't want it flashing like that!

Sad meeple promises never to flash anybody.

Oh wait, you were referring to banner ads, not sad meeple's blue suede suit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.