Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Story developing:

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/24/shooting-reported-outsi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 dead at the scene 1 dead (the gunman) and 9 wounded in the subsequent confrontation. Many of the victims may have been shot by the police.

Appears it was a 'postal'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
I wonder how many stories like this would have been just local news before the Aurora shootings made the media hypersensitive to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
I wonder how many stories like this would have been just local news before the Aurora shootings made the media hypersensitive to it.

Given it's location not sure that Aurora has inceased it's coverage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
CrankyPants wrote:

Yeah, a shootout anywhere else and it's business as usual...A shootout in NYC and the news has to put "Not Terrorist Related" in the first sentence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:

Yeah, a shootout anywhere else and it's business as usual...A shootout in NYC and the news has to put "Not Terrorist Related" in the first sentence.

I have to admit to being mistified as to how you can be 'oversensative' to a shhotout in which two people are killed. I can't imagine what a country must be like in which people can be shot in the street and it is newsworthy on a local level only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:

It's the Empire State Building...

I'm betting countries that didn't get coverage of the Aurora shooting will get this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:

I have to admit to being mistified as to how you can be 'oversensative' to a shhotout in which two people are killed. I can't imagine what a country must be like in which people can be shot in the street and it is newsworthy on a local level only.

It's because we don't have enough guns. If everyone at the scene had been armed, the casualty count would have been much lower. [/NRA]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:

I'm betting countries that didn't get coverage of the Aurora shooting will get this one.

Not that each isn't horrifying and equally unsettling. If anything, the shame is that we've become desensitized ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:

Not that each isn't horrifying and equally unsettling. If anything, the shame is that we've become desensitized ....

Says the man with an armed marsupial avatar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It's because we don't have enough guns. If everyone at the scene had been armed, the casualty count would have been much lower. [/NRA]

I haven't read what if anything the NRA says and I don't know enough to speculate if other armed citizens would have made things better or worse but NYC already has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country. I'm wondering where and how they failed to prevent this tragedy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Mohling
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Lemur wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:

Says the man with an armed marsupial avatar.

Whoa, hey. Lemurs are primates, not marsupials. The difference is that primates have the right to defend themselves with guns, marsupials do not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the world is now officially outpacing satire.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/nation-celebrates-full-week...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
The assailant, Jeffrey Johnson, was fired last year from his job as a women’s accessory designer at Hazan Imports Corp

There's a sentence I never thought I would read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
Quote:

I haven't read what if anything the NRA says and I don't know enough to speculate if other armed citizens would have made things better or worse but NYC already has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country. I'm wondering where and how they failed to prevent this tragedy.

We are right across the river from Jersey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robigo wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:

Has the NRA actauly said this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
Quote:

Well he did not use a Semi-autiomatic rifle, that may have saved a few lives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
They are confirming that all wounded bystanders were hit by police bullets. You can see the video of the cops approaching the shooter from behind at the link below. It gives a pretty good idea at what range the gunfight starts.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/25/13478324-nypd-con...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
Quote:

He apparently bought the gun legally in FL, I'm guessing while living down there. And then failed to register it when he moved to NY.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.