Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcos Romero
United States
Jacksonville
FL -
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've realized that our normal gaming group likes games where we interact, yet not so much games where you screw the other players. I'm happy with the amount of co-op games that we have.

For instance I like Bohnanza and it's trading aspect, although it feels like it overstays it's welcome by about 15 minutes. However games where we directly confront other players seem to not go over very well(somebody gets angry).

What I'm looking for:
1. Typically 2-3 players
2. Plays in 90 mins or less
3. Not out of print or costing over $50
4. Fun and interactive, theme matters less to me.

Thanks,

Marcos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloom sounds perfect for you, then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also try Tobago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered Galaxy Trucker?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chinatown.

[edit]

Oops! I think it's out of print.

Consider Genoa, Goa, and Metropolys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried it yet, but Helvetia looks like it has a ton of interaction, but it's not of the attacking kind. With 2p, it uses a neutral board.

As an aside, I found Galaxy Trucker to be virtually without interaction. Unless you consider socializing while watching your ships fall apart to be "interaction".

What kinds of interaction are ok/not ok for your group?
- Blocking, such as worker placement?
- Racing, as in "early bird gets the worm"?
- Auctions?
- Leaching, like San Juan, Race for the Galaxy, and Puerto Rico?
- Shared control, like Acquire or Milestones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
As an aside, I found Galaxy Trucker to be virtually without interaction. Unless you consider socializing while watching your ships fall apart to be "interaction".

Here are a few ways that Galaxy Trucker is interactive:

1Players take tiles from a limited, shared pool.
2A player decides whether to defeat an enemy, lose to the enemy, or tie the enemy and let it go through to affect other players.
3A player decides which cargo to keep and which to allow other players to have, taking into account what kinds of cargo holds and what capacity the other players have.
4A player decides how fast to go in open space, which affects who finishes the round first and gets the biggest finishing bonus.

None of these are in-your-face interaction, but they are still interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bwingrave wrote:
Here are a few ways that Galaxy Trucker is interactive:

Thanks. It has been a while since my one and only game. Some of those are not things a first-timer is even likely to be aware of (like intentionally losing). But they all make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're ready for a medium-heavy game, my highest recommendation for your criteria is Brass.

Brass has a unique networking system that forces friendly interaction--even co-dependency--on all players' progress. It's a brilliant implementation of an economic system in board gaming. As such, it is one of my favorite games of all time.

But as I said, it's deeper than any listed so far, and it's going to push your time limit--especially with new players. But it's well worth the effort and extra time, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingsburg- with the Shifting Alliances variant
7 Wonders- with the new Cities expansion
Nefertiti
Ra
Legacy: Gears of Time
Last Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm.. try to find out more about "Thurn and Taxis". Do you know this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
QueesteGeest wrote:
Hmmm.. try to find out more about "Thurn and Taxis". Do you know this game?

Highly enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Race for the Galaxy
Maybe look at King of Tokyo for something a bit more light-hearted but still very interactive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Edwards
United States
Grove City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 7 Wonders is the best fit for what you want.
+1 Race for the Galaxy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcos Romero
United States
Jacksonville
FL -
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloom sounds good, and cheap as well. That looks like a winner.

Tobago seems like it might be fun as well. Have seen it mentioned here and there.

I've had my eye on Galaxy Trucker for a while, it looks like it would be a very fun game and would match a few different groups of gamers I regularly game with.

Race For the Galaxy although one of my favorite games is a little too like solitaire. You're only indirectly affected by your opponents moves.

As far as interactions with the group. Bohnanza is the perfect game especially with 5-7. Lots of trading and banter. Worker placement is really not much of an interaction I think. Dixit works well because we usually have a good laugh afterwards about what worked and what didn't. Ra is a nice auction interaction that isn't very confrontational vs Power Grid which can be pretty confrontational especially with a small group(2-3). Does that make sense? Like the trading of Bohnanza just find the game in smaller groups to not work at all. I.e. if I could find a Bohnanza like game with a little more strategy that plays with 2-3 players I'll be in heaven. Make sense?

I like the idea of Brass, however the group is very resistant to games over 90 mins. So don't know what to do about that.

We play 7 Wonders, but for some reason the wife doesn't like it at all. Don't know why. Haven't played any of the others mentioned other than Ra.

We really enjoy Thurn and Taxis at 2, a little less with 3 and it's barely tolerable at 4. At 4 it seems like the luck factor is much more pronounced while at 2 you can control the board pretty well.

I am interested in King of Tokyo except that it's fairly hard to get at the moment.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, hope my clarifications help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
friendly, zero confrontation, and not a co-op: Masons

one source of further information is this review:Stimulation without Confrontation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MRomeo99 wrote:

We really enjoy Thurn and Taxis at 2, a little less with 3 and it's barely tolerable at 4. At 4 it seems like the luck factor is much more pronounced while at 2 you can control the board pretty well.

Having won the World Boardgaming Championship Thurn and Taxis tournament 3 times in a row, and the Total Confusion Thurn and Taxis tournament 5 years in a row, both of which use 4-player games, I think the perception that this game is predominantly luck is inaccurate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MRomeo99 wrote:
I've realized that our normal gaming group likes games where we interact, yet not so much games where you screw the other players. I'm happy with the amount of co-op games that we have.

For instance I like Bohnanza and it's trading aspect, although it feels like it overstays it's welcome by about 15 minutes. However games where we directly confront other players seem to not go over very well(somebody gets angry).

What I'm looking for:
1. Typically 2-3 players
2. Plays in 90 mins or less
3. Not out of print or costing over $50
4. Fun and interactive, theme matters less to me.

Thanks,

Marcos

You realize you just described Settlers of Catan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eminent Domain plays like a stripped down version of RFTG, with more interaction in role selection and play. It also doesn't have the "icon learning curve" that many people complain about.

Mundus Novus is another card game with a fair deal of interaction (and a cool trading mechanic) that has the feel of heavier (and longer) trade/exploration games.

Both are card games that cost well under $50us, and neither has direct conflict.

Eminent Domain

Mundus Novus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MRomeo99 wrote:
I am interested in King of Tokyo except that it's fairly hard to get at the moment.

Hm. I just saw 8 copies of this sitting on my FLGS's shelves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.