Subject: Looking for a great travel game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Frederick
Canada
Mission
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Going to Mexico for a week. There will be four of us going. Looking for a compact game (easy to travel with). Something that will take an hour or two to play, that has some strategy to it. Something not to hard to teach and a game that has replayability for the week.cool Any thoughts, or Ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb

thumbsup Innovation

Small box...great as 2P, 3P or 4P...even 2 vs 2 team game play.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mb
Lighter: Citadels
Heavier: Race for the Galaxy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
godunow wrote:
Lighter: Citadels
Heavier: Race for the Galaxy

Citadels, San Juan, Race for the Galaxy, and 7 Wonders are all games that play great with 4, have tons of replayability, and can be extremely portable. Citadels and San Juan already have small boxes, 7 Wonders and Race For The Galaxy come in unnecessarily large boxes which could be ditched in exchange for something smaller.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovation is a good recommendation. Seconded.

The perfect board game for traveling is The Speicherstadt. The board is unnecessary because it's just a place holder for the cards (there is very minimal VPs scored in-game). So once you learn it, you can ditch the board. The money tokens are unnecessarily large. Replace them with pennies, or even your money tokens from For Sale. After you've done this, you've got a very good, very interesting, very compact board game in a large ziploc baggie.

Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You've got so many options at 4-player...

All the above suggestions are good (although I don't enjoy Citadels that much), plus the following:

Meuterer (depends on your group, but is a great 4p replacement - hard to find, though)
Glory to Rome (hard to get the new version shipped...)
Carcassonne (probably want to find smallish case)
Tichu (needs no disclaimer)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Travel Catan, 7 Wonders, Elder Sign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And there is always Blokus. Yeah, the box is a bit large, but the game itself takes up very little space when you are playing. Can be taught in 60 seconds but has a decent amount of depth.

Thurn and Taxis is another one that I think would travel well. Its in a normal size boardgame box, but again, it does not take up a lot of room when playing. Pretty easy to learn and teach and scales very well from 2 to 4 players. Takes about an hour to play a 4 player game and has some very subtle strategy that you will soon discover.

And if you just want to have some downright fun, give King of Tokyo a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Add Bohnanza to your list. It easily meets all your criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Press PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age with the Roll Through the Ages: The Late Bronze Age expansion (just an advanced replacement score sheet)

Although the score sheets fit in the box, I recommend laminating a set of 4 two-sided score sheets (Bronze Age on one side, Late Bronze Age on the other) and using wipe-off markers.

Especially with the Late Bronze Age score sheet, there are several different paths to victory. There's plenty to explore over a week.

For card games, I highly recommend Where's Bob's Hat? (60 cards), Wizard (60 cards), and Tichu (56 cards). They're all trick-taking games. Tichu is more advanced and it's a climbing game so the tricks are asymmetric.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Try Coloretto and No Thanks for good travel games in addition to many of the great suggestions already given.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've fallen in love with Lords of Scotland lately. Just picked it up in a local sale and have been wildly surprised what Richard James was able to do with just 100 cards. It plays up to 5, I think and it literally fits in your pocket. It's a must have.

+1 Caylus Magna Carta. Love that game to death.

My other suggestion would be Glen More. It can be a little wonky to learn at first but once you get it there's a whole multitude of strategy to explore there. It's an amazing little euro you can snag for pretty cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a mini version of Hey, That's My Fish!.

Timeline and Fluxx are really easy to teach and may be nice little fillers, depending on the complexity you are looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelia Wright
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Red november??? That board is TEENY!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+d10-1 to Tichu
+d10-1 to Citadels
Big +d10-1 to Innovation (especially if you like to play team games. With 4, the team variant is a must. Love this game)
+d10-1 to Glory to Rome (like Innovation but more strategic in a brainburny kind of way, and plays better with more people without requiring teams. 4 is a great number. With 2, I'd rather play Innovation)
+d10-1 to King of Tokyo, though I find that game to be good as a way to pass time rather than a reason to get a gaming group together (though this game usually gets more than one play in one sitting, happily)

never played Lords of Scotland, Speicherstadt, San Juan, or Bohnanza but from what I've researched of those games, they're worth looking into based off your criteria

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Meuterer (3-4)
+1 Bohnanza (3-7)
+1 San Juan (2-4)
+1 Wizard (3-6)

Don't know Tichu and Citadels too well but they should be good for this too. 7 Wonders depends on whether you'll have enough space to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.