Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Bloody Ridge» Forums » Rules

Subject: Defense limitations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have problems understanding what can and cannot you do with defensive orders. I'd like some examples...

Units under hasty or prepared defense are allowed to move around or must they stand in its hex? I know that units in PD would lose dug in status if they moved, so I guess they can move.

But how much far away? Which is the line that separates defense movs and retreats or counterattacks?

Can they attack only the lost positions and no further?

Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Units on defense orders may move within their area of operations, which you need to draw in on your Op Sheet. They may also counterattack so long as they have not been driven outside of their defensive area, which should cause mission failure. They may not counterattack beyond regaining their positions. (I would give some wiggle room if the enemy remains in contact. It may be better to include a few hexes of unoccupied terrain in front of the positions of your actual units to represent fire zones and the like.)

At a minimum, each battalion should have a clearly designated area. Company areas should be required if they area separated. I tend to write all defense Op Sheets with company areas.

The size of a defense area is a big question. A good rule of thumb is a maximum width of 12 hexes for a defending battalion and six hexes for company. Adjust this to the frontage that you're actually going to defend. (If you want to defend more than a 12 hex frontage with a battalion, you definitely need to sub-divide it by company, which means that you'll need at least three companies on the line. That may mean no reserve.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, that makes sense.

Can you force a company to stand to the last man or must they retreat after a number of losses or after losing a % of terrain, or it's only when the player "thinks" that the situation is impossible to sustain?

Does the attacking player have a say in that?

Have hou tried playing this with an umpire? Maybe it could avoid discussions on how to interpret orders... Or maybe there are no discussions when you know how to play, I'm just learning.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
You can have a company stay as long as you want, so far as casualties go. However:

1. Your morale is going to shoot up due to step losses, and possibly battalion morale. SYRs will force you out of position or you'll just die in assaults.

2. Much of the time you're better off withdrawing and then counterattacking when the attackers capture the objective and become unassigned.

The rule is that you get to decide what "failure" means. Obviously, you need to be reasonable about it. If you're forced out of your area of operations, you fail. Your opponent can prompt you on this (heck, anybody in any game can talk to the other players), and you need to decide how much you want them to play with you in the future.

http://www.gamersarchive.net/theGamers/archive/tcs/Lee/gd40/
http://gd42replay.wordpress.com/start-replay-here/ (you can read the "Game," "Situation," and "Players" pages and then come back to this page and on to the hourly reports)

http://www.gamersarchive.net/theGamers/archive/tcs/TCSGenera...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Avatar
elbmc1969 wrote:
You can have a company stay as long as you want, so far as casualties go. However:

1. Your morale is going to shoot up due to step losses, and possibly battalion morale. SYRs will force you out of position or you'll just die in assaults.

2. Much of the time you're better off withdrawing and then counterattacking when the attackers capture the objective and become unassigned.

The rule is that you get to decide what "failure" means. Obviously, you need to be reasonable about it. If you're forced out of your area of operations, you fail. Your opponent can prompt you on this (heck, anybody in any game can talk to the other players), and you need to decide how much you want them to play with you in the future.

http://www.gamersarchive.net/theGamers/archive/tcs/Lee/gd40/
http://gd42replay.wordpress.com/start-replay-here/ (you can read the "Game," "Situation," and "Players" pages and then come back to this page and on to the hourly reports)

http://www.gamersarchive.net/theGamers/archive/tcs/TCSGenera...

The point is while the game is 20 minutes a turn.... the desire to rush in is going to make for a short campaign. sometime s you need to await that suppressing fire roll, or get ALL the guys in the right spot before you roll for a PD.

This game rewards good tactical choices. Honor among players is required for "what you meant by X" i.e. stand and die.

It is a very flexible system there fore it is a challenge to you as the player to really think thru the plan the plan the options the choices the likely location of enemies, what will they do. If you are interested I have some aars and stuff floating around, some vids too. I can pop a link for you.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, if you post more links they'll be helpful.
Anyway, the answers are quite clear.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
hipshot wrote:
Honor among players is required for "what you meant by X" i.e. stand and die.


Since Bloody Ridge is Marines and Japanese, I have no qualms about "fighting to the last step loss."

whistle
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
elbmc1969 wrote:
hipshot wrote:
Honor among players is required for "what you meant by X" i.e. stand and die.


Since Bloody Ridge is Marines and Japanese, I have no qualms about "fighting to the last step loss."

whistle


Yes, I guess this "bloody" battle, as the name says, is ok for fighting to the last man, instead of withdrawing after many losses. The question was more for the system as a whole, but I'm getting the idea.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.