Subject: Considering games we enjoy, what should be next? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i play with quite a small group of 3 people and we have played a variety of games so far...

agricola
settlers of catan
letters from whitechapel
last night on earth
space hulk
saboteur

out of those games both saboteur and letters from whitechapel are the msot requested, they work well with only 3 players are quick to setup and both very fun. We like the hidden traitor element of saboteur and the hidden movement/ puzzle solving of whitechapel.

Are there any other games you think our group would like based off of those 2 games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep

Edit : not that it has anything major 'hidden', but feels like you would like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a true co-op like Yggdrasil, Pandemic, Defenders of the Realm or Flash Point: Fire Rescue. (The expansion to Pandemic even includes a hidden movement mechanic...)

Saboteur 2 (expansion-only editions) to spice things up with Saboteur

Mice and Mystics could be a good fit. It's a co-op/dungeon crawl/story telling game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I own but haven't yet played Ninja: Legend of the Scorpion Clan. It's a hidden movement based game where some people play ninja and others play guards. The goal is to prevent the ninja from recovering documents which are secretly placed somewhere in a large Japanese castle grounds map.

For some card games:

Shadow Hunters is a recent hit with my group. It's a relatively simple card game where everybody plays a secret character with a specific alignment (shadow/hunter/neutral) and you don't know your enemies or teammates initially. You can find out who people are through cards and actions in the game.

BANG!. If you like the idea of Shadow Hunters but would prefer a wild west theme, Bang! might be for you. You have a Sheriff, outlaws, deputies, and a renegade. Only the Sheriff is known to everybody, and the other players have secret identities. The outlaws try to kill the sheriff, the sheriff and deputies try to kill the outlaws and renegade, and the renegade has to kill everybody, but kill the sheriff last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think high on your list to try is Shadows over Camelot. Give it a look!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ninja recieved poor reviews so i thought i would avoid that one.

bang requires 4 players and we only have 3 but i would like to play it

shadows over camelot looks decent
lords of waterdeep looks interesting also.

shadow hunters is also 4+ players

i also own arkham horror which i have only palyed solo, whilst i enjoy it im not sure my friends will since its very bits heavy with alot of cards and tokens going on.

also have mansions of madness and not sure if they will like it either but both arkham horror and mom are rather big games and finding the space to set it up isnt easy. Most likely be giving 1 of those a try next week.

i have been considering confusion but its only 2 palyer. Although the gameplay looks good.

maybe soctland yard? since its similar to whitechapel im sure they would like it but im just worried they would prefer to just play whitechapel if its the better game.

Also we palyed settlers from catan which was ok but they got abit bored towards the end and it felt like there wasnt much to it. So possibly seafarers expansion would make this game shine?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Your list looks ALOT like mine (check my games) so I of course will recommend more games from my list. Get a game you know you would like and maybe start to explore games with direct conflict (LNOE doesn't count because it feels like you are hurting zombies). I mean games where you can "screw" your opponent.

I would direct you to Stone Age. It actually has fired Agricola (for the time being). Gameplay is similar but set-up and breakdown are faster, gameplay is faster, I enjoy the theme more, and there are no jobs/minor/major improvement cards that you constantly have to remember.

Cyclades also has been a surprise hit in our house. The theme is very enjoyable and components are beautiful. It is a great light-medium game that can introduce you to mechanics you may not yet be familiar with.

If you are looking for another trader type element and with also a bit of exploration check out Betrayal at House on the Hill. It is going to be my next purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gorkel wrote:
ninja recieved poor reviews so i thought i would avoid that one.

bang requires 4 players and we only have 3 but i would like to play it

shadows over camelot looks decent
lords of waterdeep looks interesting also.

shadow hunters is also 4+ players

i also own arkham horror which i have only palyed solo, whilst i enjoy it im not sure my friends will since its very bits heavy with alot of cards and tokens going on.

also have mansions of madness and not sure if they will like it either but both arkham horror and mom are rather big games and finding the space to set it up isnt easy. Most likely be giving 1 of those a try next week.

i have been considering confusion but its only 2 palyer. Although the gameplay looks good.

maybe soctland yard? since its similar to whitechapel im sure they would like it but im just worried they would prefer to just play whitechapel if its the better game.

Also we palyed settlers from catan which was ok but they got abit bored towards the end and it felt like there wasnt much to it. So possibly seafarers expansion would make this game shine?

Scotland Yard is too similar to Whitechapel. I don't think there is room for both in the same collection.

Seafarers adds a bit to Settlers, but Cities and Knights takes it to another level....so it really just depends on how much you want to add to the game. Seafarers is a lot more open in terms of play, and can involve exploring which I find to be fun. Also, Settlers isn't at its best with only 3 imo...

As for Shadows over Camelot...I recommend trying before you buy. There seem to be polarizing opinions on the game. I found the game really boring.

Ninja doesn't have horrible reviews...but I know nothing about gameplay. Nuns on the Run is by the same designer I believe. My friends/family have all enjoyed the game, and many of them also enjoy Saboteur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider Mansions of Madness a great step up from Last Night on Earth. Same one-versus-all play set up, but has puzzles, clue hunting, mysteries to solve, and more varied monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cardarelli
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How's about Carcassonne? If your friends are requesting things like Whitechapel and Saboteur then something else light and breezy might be the answer.

Or if the hidden role mechanic was what they like then another really light and breezy card game they might love is Citadels.

Of course when I have three players and looking for something light and breezy I always choose San Juan.

Light and breezy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Compton
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up a copy of Shadows over Camelot last week and have played a couple of times in a group of 3 and once in a group of 6.
The 6 player game was a real blast with the traitor card in play. As a 3 player game, without the loyalty cards in play, I don't think you get the same enjoyment from the game and it can seem a bit dull.
Additionally, those playing would need to be happy for a bit of role playing as this brings out the theme of the game.

Having said that, I would also suggest trying Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game, personally not played it yet, but its creeping up the list of games to play.

Also, Cosmic Encounter, is another fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Find a couple more people. Play The Resistance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+ 1 Cyclades

Try "Palastgefluster"

3 - 5 players. Nasty little fun card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cyclades is the one that has caught my eye but at 50.00 its abit pricey

carccasonne would make a great replacement for saboteur i think. Which im starting to get abit fed up of since we have palyed it to death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.