United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot to reply to it during Tripp's rant thread, but I thought this comment by Rich was important:

richcharters wrote:
Also, concerning to me was Obama was implying that Romney didn't "listen to" the teacher regarding class size. The video shows that Romney had access to:
1) a statistical study of every school district in Mass. that correlated class size and performance (and showed that parental involvement and quality of teachers were more important)
2) an international study that showed that class size was not the main determining factor for countries with better education

Do we want a candidate who ignores data from scientific studies and bases his position on the input of one teacher from Philly?? That seems to me to be what Obama is saying Romney should have done.

One of the things I like about Romney is that he has a strong rational streak. In one of the most emotional and important debates in our country, his instinct is to look at the data and to have a rational analysis of that data drive policy. He doesn't always do this (particularly when campaigning for office, which he's been doing almost without stop) but if he's elected I think he will do it a lot more often than most Presidents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like that he is clearly a very smart guy. I think he would be rational and avoid impulsive actions in relation to foreign affairs (which lets face it is probably the most important thing that impacts on us us non-US RSPers).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff morales
United States
Near Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Lets Eat!
badge
I also live
mbmbmbmbmb
myopia wrote:
I like that he is clearly a very smart guy. I think he would be rational and avoid impulsive actions in relation to foreign affairs (which lets face it is probably the most important thing that impacts on us us non-US RSPers).

Maybe Romney will have a better gift than a box of NTSC DVDs that Obama picked up at WalMart on the way to the airport. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
myopia wrote:
WE'RE SORRY FOR DUBYA, OKAY?!?!
Jeez, it's like we'll never live that down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
myopia wrote:
WE'RE SORRY FOR DUBYA, OKAY?!?!
Jeez, it's like we'll never live that down.

I didn't realise as I was typing but your right I could have just said not-Bush. But lets keep Chad's Romney like fest on track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
I forgot to reply to it during Tripp's rant thread, but I thought this comment by Rich was important:

richcharters wrote:
Also, concerning to me was Obama was implying that Romney didn't "listen to" the teacher regarding class size. The video shows that Romney had access to:
1) a statistical study of every school district in Mass. that correlated class size and performance (and showed that parental involvement and quality of teachers were more important)
2) an international study that showed that class size was not the main determining factor for countries with better education

Do we want a candidate who ignores data from scientific studies and bases his position on the input of one teacher from Philly?? That seems to me to be what Obama is saying Romney should have done.

One of the things I like about Romney is that he has a strong rational streak. In one of the most emotional and important debates in our country, his instinct is to look at the data and to have a rational analysis of that data drive policy. He doesn't always do this (particularly when campaigning for office, which he's been doing almost without stop) but if he's elected I think he will do it a lot more often than most Presidents.

But class size effects quality of teachers: it pushes good teachers to the private sector by increasing the amount of work they do by giving them more students to account for and paying them shit to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff morales
United States
Near Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Lets Eat!
badge
I also live
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:

richcharters wrote:

But class size effects quality of teachers: it pushes good teachers to the private sector by increasing the amount of work they do by giving them more students to account for and paying them shit to do it.

This may be true, but to the point of the person the OP quoted, if the students came to class better prepared and better disciplined by parents, then class size would not be as important.

I think teachers are bailing out to private schools because they want to teach, not run a federally funded daycare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Lincoln
NE: NEBRASKA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like his teeth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ordinary Evidence
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that, no matter how I might feel about an issue, he has a position to match it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that his OS is upgradeable over wifi and 3G.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nothing but static
New Zealand
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that he knows he is going to lose but remains upbeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.