Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I would really like to buy this game, but I think that in order to play it I would need to do so over two evenings. As a bunch of dads with jobs, we generally only have a maximum 3-hour window available for gaming. From what I gather, AGoT will generally go over this, especially our first time. Since I don't have a GeekChic table (I just can't decide between the Sultan and the Vizier), I have come up with the following plan: 1) take lots of photos of the state of the game at the end of the first session; 2) Ziploc each player's components for storage 3) give myself at least 30 minutes to set everything up before everyone arrives for the second session, and 4) spend 10 minutes or so reminding everyone of each player's status/positions.

Does this seem like a reasonable solution?
Are there any game mechanics that will be completely disrupted by this approach?
Will any components not lend themselves to storage without mucking things up?
Is there a natural break point that you would suggest?
Any other suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Baker
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It'd probably take more than 30 minutes to take down/setup. Noting which house cards have been played, Westeros and Wildling deck situations, and pieces on the board. But I think the game is worth it. The good thing about this game is that there aren't any hidden cards or anything, everything is public knowledge so you wouldn't be jeopardizing secrecy by packing it all up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Pagliarulo
United States
Brighton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This sounds like a good method for "saving" the game state. The only other thing I would add would be for the cards: leader/battle cards, Wildling cards, and Westeros cards.

As long as you have recorded which leaders each house have used (can be written down quickly, or something), and which Wildling and Westeros cards have been played, everything should be good to go. If you want to maintain "full integrity," you could always find a place to put the Westeros and Wildling cards that allows to you leave them in the exact state they are left in at your break point.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the feedback.

Do I need to keep track of cards that are played because they have ongoing effects, or because they are removed from the game? If they still in effect, then I assume they are still out in view and a photo should take care of it. If they have been discarded, then a 'discards' Ziploc should do the trick. Am I on the right track?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...and obviously all decks could be put in a Ziploc to maintain "full integrity".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snaggle4th wrote:
Do I need to keep track of cards that are played because they have ongoing effects, or because they are removed from the game?

They're sort of removed from game, but not quite. With Westeros cards, the "Winter is Coming" card will shuffle that discard pile of Westeros cards back into the deck; with House cards, when you play your last House card you retrieve the other ones. There are a few House cards that interact with the House discard pile (like Davos wants to see Stannis in the discard, and Roose has the opportunity to give you back your discard pile right after the battle), but in general cards do not have ongoing effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Pagliarulo
United States
Brighton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
snaggle4th wrote:

Do I need to keep track of cards that are played because they have ongoing effects, or because they are removed from the game? If they still in effect, then I assume they are still out in view and a photo should take care of it. If they have been discarded, then a 'discards' Ziploc should do the trick. Am I on the right track?

The only "ongoing effects" would be the cards that can be drawn that prevent certain orders from being played during a round. If you're suspending play at the end of a round though, this isn't an issue.

I was thinking of it more as a way to keep the probability of each card being drawn the exact same as when you suspended play. E.g., if there are three cards that cause you to muster units, and two of them have been drawn already, putting them back into the deck would effectively give you more potential chances for mustering and slightly reducing the chance of other cards being drawn.

Ben has it right. The cards can re-enter play through a "Winter is Coming" Westeros card, but assuming your first half of the game doesn't end with drawing that card, I'd vote for the discards being kept as discards. And your solution sounds like it will do the trick!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
salem .
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah for westeros and house cards, a 'discards' ziploc and a 'unused' ziploc should work fine. you wouldn't even need one pair of ziplocs for each house and wildling deck, they could just all go in one pair of ziplocs (discards/unused), and get resorted at the start of the next game session (just make sure to reshuffle each pile of the unused wilding cards after you've put them in their I, II, III piles, in case you saw their faces when divvying them up).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Bardou
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remember too, the raven holder may need to keep track of what card was atop the wildling deck (if he saw it) and be in charge of selecting it (as secretively as they like I suppose) and placing it on top once the rest of the as yet undrawn cards have been shuffled upon resumption of play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amin
Canada
flag msg tools
http://podcastoficeandfire.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
Adapt this to the 2nd edition
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/50220/a-game-of-thrones-sa...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petter Bossum
Norway
Trondheim
Sør Trøndelag
flag msg tools
Another Idea:

Use one evening to learn the game, and perhaps play around a little, with only 5 turns or something.

The next evening you set up everything in advance, and put a timer on 180/10 ~= 15 minutes max per turn (to have some slack) and play the game in 3h

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darek C
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sabzevarian wrote:

Has anyone seen this for a 2nd edition game ?
That could ease up things certainly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.