Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
mbmbmbmbmb

Hello!

Yesterday,
Marcelo Souza
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
came to my house for a play of Claustrophobia.

The scenario is Holding Back the Invasion, in which the humans of New Jerusalem discover that there is a pit, bigger and deeper than the others, which is certainly the cause of the major increase in the numbers of creatures that had been attacking the defensive positions of the humans. A mission is hurried put togheter in order to enter the tunnels and take a great amount explosives to the mouth of the pit in order to destroy it and close it. Four were assigned to the task: two mercenaries, a convicted brute and a Redeemer - they know they won't come back alive, but the goal is more important than the mere earthly existence of them.

The daylight soon begins to disperse and, as indicated in the map, a few hundred yards away from the entrance the corridor becomes moist and, soon, flooded to waist. Continue is difficult and time consuming, but necessary. The path rises and becomes drier, and, after going straight for about three hundred yards, it started to went down steeply into a natural bottleneck where the group needed to pass one at a time. A perfect space for an attack. The mercenary who went ahead disregarded the danger when he heard nothing coming from further away. A mistake. For the troglodytes attacked from the shadows, jumping from tunnels too narrow for a human - the sort that these monsters built precisely for the purpose of moving to where they wanted and to allow their damned sneak attacks. The mercenary was able to defend itself and eliminate the creatures, but not before suffering several wounds that left him bleeding from numerous cuts.

The Redeemer took advantage of its healing abilities and restored the mercenary's health as much as it was possible, which was not much. "Here," said the Redeemer, in an ominous tone, "the Lord's power is weaker, but fear not, because our goal is pure and our progress will be blessed." The words were a little comfort when, a few hundred yards across and down, after many curves, a new narrowing was found. The injured mercenary offered to go ahead. "The loss will be smaller, if it occurs," he said. Nothing more was said as he forced himself through the passage and, of course, the wicked troglodytes attacked, using the advantage they had in a tight space. This time the mercenary didn't resist well enough and became the first victim.

The screams of the mercenary warned the rest of the danger of moving on. Thus the Redeemer, the brute and the other mercenary receded to an intersection, whose lateral tunnel had been ignored at first. The map couldn't help them anymore, only instinct would guide them foward. The junction, though, no longer was empty: there, awaiting them, intending to attack them from behind, standed a combat demon who controlled two troglodytes. Even without the surprise sneak attack, the monsters acted faster and the demon and its minions caused extensive damage. The mercenary was severely injured, as if the demon knew that, by knocking him down, it would slow down the advancement of humans, leaving them without a scout. The humans answer to the attack was quick and brutal enough to destroy the demon and its servants.

Encouraged by the victory, they followed by lateral tunnel and, even when the trio suffered new attacks by troglodytes, they still felt confident and their inspired defense was only surpassed by the fury of their attacks. However, they stopped in front of a new narrowing. The Redeemer, the brute and the mercenary looked at each other - everyone knew there would be problems ahead. The brute took a step forward and squeezing, passed on to the other side. When he felt he slipped out of the grip of the rock, the brute was happy - no attack happened. The joy vanished when, on the other side, a crossroads was covered by that terrible carnivorous plant that feeds on blood. The plant tentacles felt the presence of the vital fluid and agitated themselves, but until they feel properly the taste of blood they were passive enough. The brute shouted out, calling for his companions to hurry.

The mercenary was the second to come, and when he arrived, a new onslaught made by the troglodytes occurred. It was crazy, suicidal, because fight there was the best way for a quick death, but the monsters had no will of their own - they acted in accordance with the commands they receive from their demon masters, who had no shortage of creatures in their armies. The brute maintained his position, but the mercenary, wounded, was surrounded by the plants and the thorns of it dug deep into his skin while blows of the troglodytes slashed even more, even when the plant also began to feed of them.

When the Redeemer came, the brute, holding the blood-soaked bag of the mercenary, called for haste and the two managed to avoid the hungry tentacles which, fortunately, were more interested in the carcasses of the troglodytes and that of the mercenary. The brute led the duo, but progress was slow - the heavy shield that he carried allowed no rush, and the same applied for the full armor of the Redeemer. A dead end had them fearful that they might be completely lost - they had to return a long way until the last side tunel they remembered to have avoided. Before they got there, a new attack happened - led by another combat demon in control of many troglodytes, clearly in frenzy, probably imbued by some diabolical power that left them even more lethal.

The fight was fast and violent, leaving at the end the Redeemer and the brute as winners, although both injured. There was no way to wait to recover, being so deep in the territory of the demons. It was necessary to continue and that they did. Was the brute who noticed the marks on the stone that ultimately led them to the pit. There was no celebration at all - the Redeemer only put in the ground his shoulder bag and the brute did the same with his and the pack of the mercenary. The estimate was that only one of them would have enough explosives to do the task, and the estimate was more right than wrong. The brute guarded the mouth of the tunnel while the Redeemer prepared the explosives. An attack of troglodytes was repelled by the brute, but he saw that, coming over, was coming a great host of creatures led by demons. "They are coming with everything," warned the brute.

"Let them come," replied the Redeemer. "The Lord's work is done."

The two made a brief, though fervent, prayer. They waited until they felt the smell of the creatures and saw their distorted forms coming into the tunnel. When the detonation occurred everything, by dozens of yards in all directions, appeared to be vaporize. An enormous crater appeared in an instant, and in the next, began to be filled by countless tons of rock and earth.

On the ground, far above, where a gigantic hollow came to be, the Church erected a chapel, and above its entrance there was a message the read: "One life for many. Many for all."

The scenario began unfortunate for me - I played with the humans. Water, narrowings, carnivorous plants, you name it, I got it. I thought I wouldn't get very far, specially with my mercenaries being badly beaten. I abandoned one to their fate and the other lasted a little longer, but it was the second to fall.

The brute and the Redeemer, walking one space at a time, would have to be enough. At least what they lacked in movement they had in defense. I also had luck with the bad luck of Marcelo with the dice, for in the attack that could have decided the match for the demons (when he struck with his second combat demon and four frantic troglodytes - a condition that allows them to roll back the dice that didn't caused damage in the first roll), he managed to give only 1 point of damage of 7 possible. From there on, the situation changed, as I eliminated the second demon and three tiles later I found the pit. With the brute and the Redeemer in somewhat good shape, he couldn't prevent them pass the whole round in the pit to prepare the explosives. Thus, the pit was sealed, and the humans won!

And that was it!

Regards,

Note: Sorry for the mistakes in grammar and spelling. I do try. Edit: add a missing word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Tiago. That reads so much better than the google translation that somebody provided on your Portuguese thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Thanks, Tiago. That reads so much better than the google translation that somebody provided on your Portuguese thread.

No problem at all! I know its not perfect, but I guess it does the job.

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.