Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
michael esposito
United States
morton grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to the local gamestore in Mt Prospect near Chicago, saw that they had WaW BnB and Into the Breech. He had HotG and DoH in LnL only
No FHII.

Not sure if I should wait for EGII or get BnB, or get into LnL

thoughts and observations on both systems merits and disadvantages would be most welcome.

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
mike_espo wrote:
I went to the local gamestore in Mt Prospect near Chicago, saw that they had WaW BnB and Into the Breech. He had HotG and DoH in LnL only
No FHII.

thoughts and observations on both systems merits and disadvantages would be most welcome.

thanks

all 3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael esposito
United States
morton grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would, but cash is short...cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
United States
Reading
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you prefer gaming at lower level of detail or at a level with more abstraction?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael esposito
United States
morton grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
like high detail, but also like 'bigger picture' as well.

I also want to take into consideration that some of these games may go out of print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My preference is towards higher level actions. My problem with squad level games, especially detailed ones, is that it takes longer to play than the game represents. Let's take the demo "Vierville" scenario that's available on the Lock n Load site. The scenario lasts for 6 turns, where each turn is 2-5 minutes, so the whole scenario represents about 20 minutes of time give or take. How long will it take you to play such a scenario? Maybe 60-90 minutes? It just seems odd to me. To me, I'd rather play a platoon or company level game where the action spans the better part of a day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Ferrari
United States
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael,

Depends on the detail that you prefer. Lock n Load is squad based, and WaW is platoon based. Both are great games and is hard to recommend one over the other.

Just note, Into the Breach requires The Untold Stories to play, in case you didn't know. Personally, if you go the WaW route, I would go with BnB since EGII will have mounted boards and also include the Death of the First Panzer module. BnB is a great module and will give you a better taste of the WaW series, since it has more scenarios and a larger variety of scenarios included.

That said, I would also suggest going to the LnL home page and go under Free Downloads, and Under Choose a Category, select Game Demos. There are demos of the Lock n Load system for Ring of Hills, Forgotten Heroes, and Band of Heroes. The demos have older versions of the rules and graphics, but it will give you a taste/feel for the LnL system. Each has one scenario that you can play to see if you like the system or not (FH has an additional Bonus scenario, so you may want to go that route if you like Vietnam actions). Looking into the demos may help you decide which system to choose.

Feel free to ask any other questions you may have, there are a bunch of knowledgable LnL/WaW players here on BGG that are happy to answer any questions you may have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
kwsrv wrote:
Michael,

Depends on the detail that you prefer. Lock n Load is squad based, and WaW is platoon based. Both are great games and is hard to recommend one over the other.

Just note, Into the Breach requires The Untold Stories to play, in case you didn't know. Personally, if you go the WaW route, I would go with BnB since EGII will have mounted boards and also include the Death of the First Panzer module. BnB is a great module and will give you a better taste of the WaW series, since it has more scenarios and a larger variety of scenarios included.

That said, I would also suggest going to the LnL home page and go under Free Downloads, and Under Choose a Category, select Game Demos. There are demos of the Lock n Load system for Ring of Hills, Forgotten Heroes, and Band of Heroes. The demos have older versions of the rules and graphics, but it will give you a taste/feel for the LnL system. Each has one scenario that you can play to see if you like the system or not (FH has an additional Bonus scenario, so you may want to go that route if you like Vietnam actions). Looking into the demos may help you decide which system to choose.

Feel free to ask any other questions you may have, there are a bunch of knowledgable LnL/WaW players here on BGG that are happy to answer any questions you may have.

What HE SAID.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ellis
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep - WaW is a great series, and BnB gives you a mass of stuff that will keep you playing for some time. I definitely recomend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dampenon Fabien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
Rookies talk about strategy, Grognards about Logistics
mbmbmbmbmb
mike_espo wrote:
No FHII.

thanks

I don't own nor play LnL but I'm a fan of WaW Series. These platoon-level games (I own all of them) are quickly learnt, present some beautiful components and own sufficient chrome to feel you are in Germany (at start but at last in France, at Paris), battling WWIII (I'm a former AFV Platoon leader and a fan of Tac Air from AH, so I think I may rate a game like WaW).

And, personnaly, I prefer manoeuver platoon counters in games at Company/Bataillon level,which cover a longer span of time than games at squad level.

And, of course, Platoon level games have, often, lighter rules than squad level ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael esposito
United States
morton grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. I am definately gonna pick up one tomorrow. I just wish we knew when EGII will come out. Would help my decision making....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin McCleary
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then why not see if you can pick up a used copy from Ebay or off the Consim "market" folder? With the 2nd edition of EG and Death of 1st Panzer "coming" I'm sure there will be - at some point - a deluge of the 1st ed's for sale. I don't think they're that hard to come by if you ask in the right places.

I have titles from both series - and truth in lending - I'm not all that thrilled with the platoon level "system" so I halted my purchases at Blood N Bridges; something just doesn't sit right with me. I found the squad level system to be a better design and the components are certainly top notch but the key thing, the system, just works better for me and I always much prefer platoon level games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.