Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
After several months of almost no wargaming whatsoever I am now ready to return to the front!
The last few months have been hectic: I got married, moved to a new state, and am currently undertaking a dream career of being a professional chess player. cool Thanks to the love and devotion of my new wife and some money I saved over the single years, I am able to fully grasp this opportunity! Of course, since I will be mainly working from home, I agreed to handle all the domestic responsibilities as well.

I am now fully moved with my man cave completed: I have book cases for games and books, a chess table, a war game table, TV and recliner.

When I left my teaching job, each of my classes asked me what I was going to do after I moved. When I said be a professional chess player, they were all puzzled and said, "How can you do that? What job does your future wife do?" When I answered, "She's a lawyer." They all nodded their heads and had facial expressions that said, "Oh well, no wonder you can be a chess player!."

I look forward to catching up on the wargame info I have missed over the last 4 months and maybe even doing some reviews and sessions reports. My new place is going to be christened with the Fires of Midway If there has been any big news on games and such, I would appreciate it if someone would post info on this thread so I don't have to go searching everywhere. The only thing I have kept up with is the the release of Red Dragon/Green Crescent.
V/R,
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What kind of money is in professional chess playing these days? What kind of professional chess matches does one participate in when pursuing the path of a professional chess player? I'm intrigued (and don't worry, I'm no competition - I am a lousy chess player)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The money is not terrific, but you can win thousands depending on the size of tournament you play in. Some areas are more active than others (such as Pittsburgh which has 2 clubs plus Monroeville and Murrsyville had ones as well last I heard. Mainly I am just trying to see how good I can get. So far, 2012 has been good: I played 3 tournaments and finished 3rd on one and tied for first in the other two. Now, I am looking for bigger fish to fry devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool.

I keep waiting for WIF to go pro, but no dice...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations.

Quote:
What kind of money is in professional chess playing these days?

I would guess that most of the heavy cash is in the endorsement contracts.

What this hobby needs is $350 chess shoes, like the new LeBron sneakers from Nike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Sorry, I've been in an image-posting mood today...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on landing a lawyer and following your dreams. I'm jealous as hell.

Just remember, the real money is in the sponsorships. Get that jacket with various brand patches on it and you'll be all set.

Now, what companies would sponsor a chess player....
Burger King?
Dairy Queen?
Knights Inn?
White Castle?
A local pawn shop?

Glad I could help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UniqueRabbit wrote:
Congrats on landing a lawyer and following your dreams. I'm jealous as hell.

Just remember, the real money is in the sponsorships. Get that jacket with various brand patches on it and you'll be all set.

Now, what companies would sponsor a chess player....
Burger King?
Dairy Queen?
Knights Inn?
White Castle?
A local pawn shop?

Glad I could help. :D

Or an online dating site. "No stale mates at urhookinup.com!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome back. I was checking my geekbuddy list the other day and was wondering where you've been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
catosulla wrote:
!

Welcome back! I've been losing at that Third World War set I bought from you earlier this year ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my first game under my belt Won USA side of Coral Sea Fires of Midway. Slim victory as I won 7-5 on VP, losing Yorktown, but sinking the Shokaku and Shoho. On to the Battle of Midway! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Nemo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
catosulla wrote:
Thanks to the love and devotion of my new wife and some money I saved over the single years, I am able to fully grasp this opportunity! Of course, since I will be mainly working from home, I agreed to handle all the domestic responsibilities as well.

I am now fully moved with my man cave completed: I have book cases for games and books, a chess table, a war game table, TV and recliner.

Congratulations.

How much time do you think you will have each day after:
(1) Four hours of book studies on chess openings
(2) Visit to gym/swim/play squash/jog to keep physically fit
(3) Complete domestic work, including preparation of evening meal
(4) Deal with the requirements of the children that might be assumed to arrive in the next year or two
(5) Tournament preparation ... and play

I think this could significantly influence your choice of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My dream career is only for the next year (until next September). My goal is to push myself as hard as I can to see just how high I can get my rating to go and play big events like the US Open and the World Open. So some of those points I don't really have to worry about (like the children) since by the time they arrive I will be back in the workforce.
Most people never even get the chance to take even a year to chase their dream which tells you just how special a woman my wife is. I have bee averaging about 3-4 hrs of total study a day. It is funny you mention the opening study as this has been one of my major weak spots. For exercise, I have the bike and I take walks in the morning and afternoon. Stamina is important for success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hughes
Australia
Surfers Paradise
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great story; I wish you every success in your chess career.

I had a look at your top 10 players - neither Capablanca nor Nimzowitch figure? Does your style reflect those of your favourites?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the support Dave.
I do think my favorites reflect my style, especially Tal and Korchnoi. When I played years ago, and it looked like I was about to lose material, I would always think, "Now how can I defend this?" Today, I think, "Is there something else I can do somewhere else on the board disruptive or, in the case of a pawn, I look to see if moving it would open squares or lines for my pieces via the vacated square. I had this happen in a game back in June and the activity paid off in a time scramble. Gotta love how bishops can leap from one end of an open diagonal to another in a single bound!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hughes
Australia
Surfers Paradise
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at your favourites, you would describe them all I think as combative players in the modern style; welcoming complications, often choosing moves which will make the opponent's task more difficult rather than the objectively "best" move.

It's a good way to play, but exhausting. When I was playing competitively - at a much less exalted level than you I should add - especially in team matches in the evening when I was already tired after a hard day's graft - Nimzowitch and Capablanca were my friends; clarity was everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like those players because, to me, chess is a struggle. It is a battle of two minds, two ideas, two wills, and two egos. There are some who criticize Tal about his games, saying he shouldn't have won and such. Bull! Chess is a struggle and it is not Tal (or any other players fault) if their opponent cannot defend well, or find the right path, or crumbles under the pressure. To me, that is as ridiculous as when people say, "well if the Seahawks hadn't turned over the ball four times they would've won." But turnovers are part of the game, just as blunders, stress, stamina, and risks are all part of chess. Years ago, I used to beat a master strength friend of mine in local blitz tournaments repeatedly simply because he loved complicated positions and would analyze and analyze while his clock kept ticking away. So I purposely complicated the position and, when he got too short of time, he would blunder. At a slower pace, he always beat me, but in blitz I usually got his goat. Funny thing is, no one else in our club seemed to pick up on this and wondered all the time how I beat him in blitz so often ninja

Another reason I like those players so much (and it impacts my choice of openings I play as well) is the fact that at my age (I will be d10-4 d10-0 later this year I would rather play a wild, unpredictable, explosive game where I have good chances of winning than a slow squeeze. I know I only have this year, so I want to make the most of it and have fun at the same time. I guess you could say my playing philosophy is like running the wishbone offense: yeah, you will occasionally get those killing fumbles, but those long runs are beautiful to watch and no matter what, no one can ever say it is boring! That being said, I can win games where I have to press and squeeze, I just prefer to crush instead

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.