Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have this in the Tundra Orc forum but it doesn't seem to get much activity so I am going to repost

All,

I have not played the f2f version of the game with the Orcs but it seems that when I play against someone on the iOS version, the Orcs dominate.

I wonder if it is just bad luck (or play) on my part.

To me, the unit that can keep rolling after an attack to gain another attacks seems super powerful. To me, it seems you could (in theory) win the game in a few turns with lucky die rolls (or actually in one if really lucky).

Also, the smasher seems way too powerful as well at 4 hps.

What is the best way to defeat this deck? Which faction?

Thoughts?
jonpfl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonpfl wrote:
I have this in the Tundra Orc forum but it doesn't seem to get much activity so I am going to repost

All,

I have not played the f2f version of the game with the Orcs but it seems that when I play against someone on the iOS version, the Orcs dominate.

To me, the unit that can keep rolling after an attack to gain another attacks seems super powerful. To me, it seems you could (in theory) win the game in a few turns with lucky die rolls (or actually in one if really lucky).

Thoughts?
jonpfl

You'd probably have the best luck on the main "Summoner Wars" page. They are eventually going to roll that into the Master Set page (allegedly), but it's the general purpose forum for now.

Fighters are easy magic for your opponent. If you're lucky, they could do some damage, but they're rarely worth the cost and make it easy for your opponents to kill them and summon more counteroffensives.

Smashers are useful but those 4 HP disappear fast due to Sluggish. It's the equivalent of 2.66 normal HP, but the opponent can know for a fact if they are attempting to kill him.

The problem is likely not that the TO are that strong, but that your opponents are better than you. The TO are one of the easiest factions to play, up there with Guild Dwarves, and both of those have the highest win ratios because of it. The other factions all can beat them with a skilled player, but they require different tactics and approaches.

My main advice would be to observe what your opponent does if they're giving you a drubbing, regardless of what faction they're playing. Certain strategies are generally useful, and certain ones are most applicable to specific factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thenobleknave wrote:
jonpfl wrote:

All,

Thoughts?
jonpfl

You'd probably have the best luck on the main "Summoner Wars" page. They are eventually going to roll that into the Master Set page (allegedly), but it's the general purpose forum for now.

Fighters are easy magic for your opponent. If you're lucky, they could do some damage, but they're rarely worth the cost and make it easy for your opponents to kill them and summon more counteroffensives.

Smashers are useful but those 4 HP disappear fast due to Sluggish. It's the equivalent of 2.66 normal HP, but the opponent can know for a fact if they are attempting to kill him.

The problem is likely not that the TO are that strong, but that your opponents are better than you. The TO are one of the easiest factions to play, up there with Guild Dwarves, and both of those have the highest win ratios because of it. The other factions all can beat them with a skilled player, but they require different tactics and approaches.

My main advice would be to observe what your opponent does if they're giving you a drubbing, regardless of what faction they're playing. Certain strategies are generally useful, and certain ones are most applicable to specific factions.

What makes the TO and GD so good for beginners? My biggest problem is that he brings out a fighter and I go to kill him and the following turn I lose the unit that killed the fighter. What is a good strategy to deal with Smashers and Fighters? I was using the Jungle Elves and I loaded up the deck with Gorillas but to take out the Smashers but I still seem to be overwhelmed with units near the end of the game.

Thx
jonpfl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
jonpfl wrote:
thenobleknave wrote:
jonpfl wrote:

All,

Thoughts?
jonpfl

What makes the TO and GD so good for beginners? My biggest problem is that he brings out a fighter and I go to kill him and the following turn I lose the unit that killed the fighter. What is a good strategy to deal with Smashers and Fighters? I was using the Jungle Elves and I loaded up the deck with Gorillas but to take out the Smashers but I still seem to be overwhelmed with units near the end of the game.

Thx
jonpfl

TO and GD are good "beginner" factions (in my opinion) because they have really good champions. I'm surprised to hear you say that they are beating you with commons. Dumping pretty much everything into magic except for Freeze (TO) and Heroic Feat (GD) and getting the champions out is a pretty effective strategy.

As for the commons, I'd say force him to overextend himself. You don't need to "run out" and kill the fighters, wait until they are on your side of the board. When you are defeated, do you generally have a larger deck less than your opponent? Try building magic more. Generally, if you lose with a significant number of cards undrawn you probably aren't building enough (and to some degree how much you build needs to be reactive to your opponent).

When I've had success against the Tundra orcs who are playing fast (getting a lot of units/champions on the board), it's been by being defensive - letting him expend his deck while exhausting mine a bit more slowly and hopefully having enough to go in for the kill afterwards.

Another way to learn is the play the TO yourself and see how you get beat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
general anti-snowflake tactics
With most factions against Tundra Orcs, I hang back and use ranged attacks (especially on their walls!*), baiting them into sending their commons over so I can make magic out of them. The Tundra Orc Shaman is a fairly cruddy ranged unit. If a Smasher has to expose himself by coming onto my side of the board, he should suffer multiple attacks with automatic hits in return. I also build magic early to bring out a good champion who can chew up Smashers.

*Ice Walls can't fight back against ranged attacks, and (unlike Vine Walls) they go into your magic pile when you knock them down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
With most factions against Tundra Orcs, I hang back and use ranged attacks (especially on their walls!*), baiting them into sending their commons over so I can make magic out of them. The Tundra Orc Shaman is a fairly cruddy ranged unit. If a Smasher has to expose himself by coming onto my side of the board, he should suffer multiple attacks with automatic hits in return. I also build magic early to bring out a good champion who can chew up Smashers.

*Ice Walls can't fight back against ranged attacks, and (unlike Vine Walls) they go into your magic pile when you knock them down.

Thx for the advice, I will try this out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TO are heavy on melee, so let them come to you. It also makes it easier for you to summon a unit that can instantly attack a TO unit. Being on your side of the board lessens the TO's summoner's ability. Certain factions will struggle against the TO due to their aggressive nature, MV being one. Factions that can hang back and turtle will have a better chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.