Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eren Koyunoglu
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear wargamers,

I am fairly new to wargaming. I have a couple of games and will start playing them soon. I played Paths of Glory (which is a fantastic game but it was very hard to get the rules down at first), but no other ones. Which one should I start first and which ones later? Can you share your experiences?
I have Combat Commander Europe and Pacific, Command and Colors Ancients, Conflict of Heroes Storm of Steel and Twilight Struggle (I am not sure if it counts as a wargame). This weekend I will be getting Thunderbolt/Apache Leader, Fighting Formations: Grossdeutschland and No Retreat! The Russian Front so they are on the list too.

Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you can just choose the one game you most want play. None is super basic, but you have at least 3-4 that are more light than heavy (not sure about Fighting Formations).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ErenKoyunoglu wrote:
This weekend I will be getting Thunderbolt/Apache Leader, Fighting Formations: Grossdeutschland and No Retreat! The Russian Front so they are on the list too.

These titles are bringing you into the jungle for real. Not deep into the jungle, but definitely in there.

In my opinion: You need to pay a longer visit to the hex-and-counter land in order to get a proper wargaming experience and to infuse yourself with some classic wargaming culture.

The Gamers' Standard Combat Series* is an easy way in. All the classic stuff is here: CRTs, ZOCs, Overruns, supply, different weapon types. All presented in a fairly simple and straight forward manner. If you've grasped the different concepts in a few SCS games you are ready to tackle virtually ANY wargame. You will be familiar with the terminology and rules will become quite intuitive.

Also I'd recommend reading a few books about warfare. Nothing too heavy. Read a little something about logistics, about operational/tactical warfare. It helps in understanding WHY certain rules exist. Oh, and I always recommend reading up on the particular war/battle you are about to play. Wargames are about recreating history in a sense, if you don't have the historical context the pieces might as well be orcs and elves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Prop Joe wrote:
(not sure about Fighting Formations).

It's just above light. Fun game, but it has a very gamey initiative mechanism. Feels more like a heavy euro with a wargame exterior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, in my opinion (and I'm sure you'll find others...), I'd say start with C & C or Conflict of Heroes.

The others have a steeper learning curve.

Start with one of the two I mentioned, and see how it goes. You may be a fast learner!

No matter what you decide, enjoy the games!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
Haha! I must be SO old!

I say start with the basics, something like SPI's "Napoleon at Waterloo," a game made, I presume, especially for beginners. I think there is even a free version available that can be played on the computer.

These other games, with all their chrome, can come later after one learns a bit about the subtle qualities one finds in even the simplest games.

Just an opinion...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eren Koyunoglu
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all. Although I work at the university as an art historian, I am very interested in the history of the world wars (since my childhood) and read many books and watched many documentaries; maybe I should have chosen to be a war historian instead of art

I will probably start with CoH, it can be played as single player too...

If you played Paths of Glory, how are these games compare, are they easier ruleswise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dougherty
United States
Maplewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Conflict of Heroes Storms of Steel maintain the programmed instruction of Awakening the Bear? If so, I might start with that one just because it eases the learning curve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
awdougherty wrote:
Does Conflict of Heroes Storms of Steele maintain the programmed instruction of Awakening the Bear? If so, I might start with that one just because it eases the learning curve.

If memory serves:

Yes, but Price of Honor (the game after) does not. Or more specifically, version 3(?) of the rules skipped that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All are simpler than Paths of Glory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eren Koyunoglu
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prop Joe wrote:

Thank god It took 1 week of constant gaming to nail most of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Command and Colors: Ancients.

Great theme and flavor. Very many scenarios.

probability analysis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which game is physically closest to you at this moment?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harper
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the games you have listed, I would start with these two:

1) C&C Ancients - Lots of scenarios with a fairly simple set of rules that manage to give one a great sense of Ancient warfare.

2) Conflict of Heroes - Contains all the elements of a tactical squad-level wargame, taught in an easy to learn "programmed instruction" format. Plus the rules are error free and very well presented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
ErenKoyunoglu wrote:
Prop Joe wrote:

You really jumped into the deep end of the pool my friend - if you survived PoG as your first game (a GREAT game but not usually an introductory game), you are in good shape with the others!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Weitz
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
No one in Iowa City plays wargames?
badge
Yes, I like helmets...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Sir! You have a whole bunch of great games. Not a bad one in the bunch. Play the one which is most interesting to you. You can't go wrong. Welcome!

Good Gaming~! Mick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle may not be a "wargame" but it's fun to play a few times.

Paths of Glory is not fundamentally complicated, but does have enough special rules and exceptions to make learning the game difficult. Shouldn't be too hard to remember most of the rules after 3 or 4 plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem Ruggera
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools

Case Blue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eren Koyunoglu
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
ErenKoyunoglu wrote:
Prop Joe wrote:

You really jumped into the deep end of the pool my friend - if you survived PoG as your first game (a GREAT game but not usually an introductory game), you are in good shape with the others!

I loved the game. Will try to play it with Ivan's Historical variant rules in the future if I can get my mind to reading the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eren Koyunoglu
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blatant wrote:

Har har... I knew that would be coming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eren Koyunoglu
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would probably be starting with Conflict of Heroes and then I will continue with Command and Colors Ancients.

Thank you all who shared their experiences with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go Combat Commander out of the games you own and if you are alone play Thunderbolt/Apache Leader.

Combat Commander is an excellent man-on-man tactical example of wargaming, easy to get into and plenty of meat, better than C&C Ancients and Conflict of Heroes in my opinion.

No Retreat is a good game, not quite a classic hex & counter, but a great game never the less. Its more complicated than the others on your list, and you should give it ago when you're comfortable.

Twilight Struggle is excellent and with the youtube how-to-play videos, you don't even need to read the rule book, its a great lightish wargamish game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eren Koyunoglu
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Cheong Sang Lai, will do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ErenKoyunoglu wrote:
blatant wrote:

Case Blue is the Busen Memo of wargaming at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Marrero
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
medlinke wrote:
ErenKoyunoglu wrote:
blatant wrote:

Case Blue is the Busen Memo of wargaming at this point.

Busen Memo is the Case Blue of whatever category Busen Memo is in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.