Popular Tags: [View All]
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received my copy that I ordered from Tanga (see this thread), which is surprisingly quick when you consider (1) I ordered it from Tanga and (2) I ordered it on Monday, just 4 days ago.

Anyway, the "What's Done Can Never Be Undone" label looks... odd. It looks like there is a label on top of a label and the top one is slightly peeling on the top right corner. See here:

I can put up better pictures if need be. Should I be concerned? It looks almost like the label was cut/torn and another label affixed on top of it. Could this somehow be a refurbished or returned copy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not be surprised if loads of the game were cut open to find out if the Khan (gray) HQ piece was missing (This was a pretty big problem back around March or so.)

Maybe a bunch from a specific gray-HQ-missing run of the game were identified and reopened to ensure all the pieces were there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It sure looks like what was done was, in fact, undone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what the bottom right of the label looks like:

You can kind of see the label below.

I bought this to stow away and not open until down the road so that I could play it with my kids. I thought it might be fun to open it together with them. I'd hate to open it 5 years from now only to find out parts are missing or compartments torn into, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
August222 wrote:
I would not be surprised if loads of the game were cut open to find out if the Khan (gray) HQ piece was missing (This was a pretty big problem back around March or so.)

Maybe a bunch from a specific gray-HQ-missing run of the game were identified and reopened to ensure all the pieces were there?

I wonder if there's any way to determine this using the SKU or barcode number or some sort of identifier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Bad, right?
badge
(o)
mbmbmbmbmb
I also received my copy today (MI to WI), surprisly fast for Tanga, and I have a single sticker that looks like it hasn't been tampered with or replaced.

Like you, I do not plan on playing my copy any time soon, so you have a tough decision. I do not believe that Tanga would be able to replace your copy so you would have to return it for a refund.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Weitner
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can chime in with the same report. Furthermore, there was clearly tape used to seal the bottom two corners, which has been cut. A second seal is clearly visible beneath the one that is still sealed. So, yes, all signs point to a factory refurb (I say factory because where else would you get those stickers?).

Has *anyone* opened theirs? If everything in side is mint/near mint, I don't mind a refurb copy in the least for the price (although I would have liked to have known ahead of time, and I would have expected a few more dollars off). But if they're not intact on the inside and Tanga's going to hassle me about returning open product, I'm a mite gunshy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
It's possible that there was an error in how the sticker was applied...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine also had tape sealing the corners

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw one like that on the shelf at a game store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The tape on the corners is part of the production. The sticker thing is odd though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RobDaviau wrote:
The tape on the corners is part of the production. The sticker thing is odd though.

Yeah, I checked against another copy I own and that one also had tape on the corners. I'm not concerned about that but I *am* concerned about the double "What's done" label. Anyone you can check with, Rob, or should I just fire off an email to Hasbro? Or Tanga?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Mattel Electronics Presents
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I was storing a copy to play down the road with my kids.. I think I'd open the seal anyways to check for the gray HQ and to make sure all the compartments are correct (read one post about a duplicate). Not like you will be able to get replacements indefinitely- and you could just as easily be missing something in a box with a better looking sticker.

You should be able to tell pretty easy if your game is intact as soon as you open it since all the "secret" compartments will be sealed and the bags taped closed. Not really ruining any surprise by doing this as you won't see anything not shown on the back of the box or images here on the geek.

Could even cheat and try to use a hairdryer to warm the glue on the "what's done" label to peel it back if you want, and use clear packing tape to reseal if it's that big an issue to preserve the moment in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carroll
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not wanting to hijack this thread, but this group may have among it someone who can help me...

I am interested in obtaining the Risk Legacy minis. If anyone has finished playing a copy and no longer needs those parts, please Gmail me and maybe we can work something out. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I contacted Hasbro this morning via their online chat portal and was essentially told there is nothing I can do other than just open it. If there are parts missing, they can address it at that time. Makes sense to me.

My main question is why there would be two labels, one right on top of the other, mentioned this thread, linked to the images, and noted that there was at least one other user who found similar stickering. So, I asked if she knew why there might be two labels and the response:

Hasbro customer service rep wrote:
Regrettably, I do not. The label could have been placed on wrong and that is why a second one is but I do not feel there is cause for concern.

And then...

Hasbro customer service rep wrote:
One possibility is that it could have been done in error. I will certainly pass along your comments.

I just didn't want to open it yet because I thought it might be fun to tear into together with the kids. They are both too young to play right now and since I don't know Risk Legacy's future and whether or not it will be available in 5 years, I bought this copy now to save it. My fear is if I don't open it now that it will have a part missing and Hasbro will no longer have stock in replacements in 5 years.

I suppose I could try what speltor above mentioned with the hair dryer but perhaps I'll just suck it up, cut into it just to make sure, because I'm sure the kids won't care one way or the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... look VERY carefully at the edges of the stickers. Try to see if the second one is torn. In your pic it looks like they're offset enough that you should be able to see if the bottom one is intact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William McCarroll
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
Check out my reviews at www.nerdbloggers.com
badge
Hi!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine came this way as well. What is odd, is that I can see the bottom sticker has been broken on one side, but it does not look broken on the other side.

I wonder if this was done at the factory when a seal came completely or partially undone. I can see how they could split fairly easily with just normal handling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
actually.... it wouldn't surprise me if those stickers are applied by hand. so yeah.... maybe every now and then someone fumbles a sticker and sticks on another one to cover it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender Wiggin wrote:
I just didn't want to open it yet because I thought it might be fun to tear into together with the kids. They are both too young to play right now and since I don't know Risk Legacy's future and whether or not it will be available in 5 years, I bought this copy now to save it.

This is something that worries me a lot. I want a copy to plauy with my kids....but maybe grandkids too. And maybe the group I hook up with in the retirement home. And what about the group when I move to a new job 100 miles away?

Point being, how many copies of Legacy should I buy and stash in the loft? Is this game likely to still be available in ten years time, say, like regular Risk? Aarrrgh, decisions!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
did you look to see how badly ripped (if at all) the bottom sticker is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Going to take a careful look at the sticker tonight.

EDIT: well, I took a few minutes to study the sticker as well as I could and just like hezkezl (above) the sticker that is underneath looks unbroken on one side (the right) and is definitely torn through on the other side (left). Very odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Calahan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same boat here. Two stickers, looks like a refurb. Not sure whether to break the seal and check it out or not.

I'm extremely annoyed that Tanga didn't make this clear on their website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Calahan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...FWIW, I just opened mine. Everything seems in order, AFAICT.

Hairdryer seemed to do the trick for opening it. Was able to glue the seal back into place afterwards.

Still annoyed, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
was the inside seal actually broken?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Calahan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
was the inside seal actually broken?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.