West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read a great deal about the recent changes to Star Wars the card game following my disappointment when I realised the change that was being made in a Gen Con video. I am sure that FFG are simply trying to respond to feedback from the potential buyers and perhaps a PvP will be a more successful formula, but I can't help but feel a little saddened by the decision.

So here is a thought FFG, how about you try and crack both nuts with a single card game. PvP to meet the need in the market and Coop for when you are trying to improve your deck building skills. I am sure that with a couple of extra mechanics and icons on the cards with perhaps some additional LOTR LCG style scenario cards specifically designed for coop you could potentially keep both sides of "the force" happy the cooperative Jedi and those PvP Sith who are forever trying to beat one another. Oh, I can here the cries now, but wait it will be sub-optimal for both sets of players because it is neither one thing nor the other. Why? Surely with the best minds applied to the problem an optimal result could be sort for all.

Do it now FFG before it's too late. Think of the sales if you could really crack this, instead of dividing a market you could bring all the players together
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was really hoping for a Rune Age type of mechanic - a game that can be played co-op, competitively, and in teams.

Oh, well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't anything in the rules though that makes me think it would be impossible to design a Solo/Co-Op encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found LOTR TCG actively unenjoyable after my first dozen games...though it was reaching that point well before that.

When I heard Star Wars went from co-op to PvP, I went from 'not interested' to 'I'll definitely have a look.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Sutherland
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I found the first 12 games of LOTR to be very enjoyable and punishing. Now that I have better deck building skills and more cards to play with, it only gets better. And I have won a few...

Kinda hard to get tired of an LCG, after all, thats the whole point of an LCG in the first place, new cards regularly to keep it fresh.

I went from drooling over SW to not going near it. I have scarab lords for pvp, and that game is unique, not similar to any other FFG games, unlike the new SW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Brimer
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is PVP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kennan Ward
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Angry Joe Show Army Community Admin
badge
Hot sauce is life
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:
I found LOTR TCG actively unenjoyable after my first dozen games...though it was reaching that point well before that.

When I heard Star Wars went from co-op to PvP, I went from 'not interested' to 'I'll definitely have a look.'

I was the exact opposite but I still plan to check reviews for the game when it comes out and pick it up if it interests me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt West
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
How I desire the touch of Nothingness
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, did this go from being a Star Wars-themed Lord of the Rings: The Card game to a Star Wars-themed Android: Netrunner? Boooooooo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is absolutely in no way even remotely similar to Netrunner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he was referring to the asymmetrical win conditions. That's probably the only thing they have in common.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Hackman
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:
This game is absolutely in no way even remotely similar to Netrunner.

It might have been interesting if it was, though. Bothan spies stealing the death star specs. Or the Empire hunting through the Rebel deck trying to locate young Skywalker and turn him to the dark side. Netrunner would have been a good jumping off point for a Star Wars game with asymmetric win conditions pitting a powerful but lumbering Empire against versatile but outgunned rebels.

Also, the co-op version didn't seem that much like LotR except that there were quest cards and a clock. Though in the Star Wars coop, if I recall, you could fail the first two parts of the quest and still win, which I found very intriguing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Hermann
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never mind the fact that their both LCG, PVP, futuristic theme, made by FFG, and I'm sure we will find a few similar mechanics just like you can find in any other LCG pvp game that FFG made (warhammer invasion, game of thrones, ect)....no, nothing in common.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.