Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen Sad Meeple yet, as I'm currently a patron, but (if I weren't already a donor) I would sooner put in the half-hour to figure out how to nuke him than donate to the site. And just about everyone who has commented has said the same.

The problem is that your customers are using Adblock because internet ads suck, decrease functionality and usable space on the screen. They install it for other sites, but BGG doesn't do a good enough job of filtering annoying Google ads to earn an Adblock exception. Frankly, the admins shouldn't be asking users to send in offensive links; they should be surfing BGG with all ads active and flagging the bad ones themselves.

Anyway, that compromise: Sad meeple may have gotten a few new donors, but after the first week, he's going to alienate more customers than he's worth by eating screen space. So take him down now, and bring him back once or twice a year for a week at a time. I rarely hear anyone complain about the year-end campaign because it's done in a positive manner, and only lasts a month.

Oh, and throw in a free Sad Meeple microbadge for anyone who does join during a future Sad Meeple week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dr.mrow wrote:
[...] but BGG doesn't do a good enough job of filtering annoying Google ads to earn an Adblock exception. Frankly, the admins shouldn't be asking users to send in offensive links; they should be surfing BGG with all ads active and flagging the bad ones themselves.

Unless you send them your browser cookies, they won't see the same ads as you. And not even then, if you're from a different country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
For those of you that would like to see only the board game ads that I sell directly, we have discussed a bit on how to make this happen.

I currently sell about 70% of our banner inventory directly to game publishers and retailers, so you should be seeing mostly board game ads as is. However, I totally agree that it would be great if we could eliminate the 30% worth of junk ads. The problem is, 30% of our inventory is still a lot of ad impressions, and not monetizing them at all is the equivalent of someone's salary.

So, we currently have an idea up in the air that if our end of year pledge drive hits X dollars, we will disable Google adsense for 2013. We would then run "house" ads in those empty spots (ads for internal BGG activities such as contests, promos, etc). We might do it, and we might not at this point, but it's something we're seriously thinking about, as we would love to provide everyone with 100% advertising that is relevant to your interests.

Edit: Link
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw that, but two points remain:
1. Obnoxious Google ads are what's behind most people adblocking BGG, and turning off the other 70% of the ad revenue. Addressing the problem by punishing users with small screens is the wrong approach. Addressing the problem by blocking the bad ads is the right approach.

2. If you want to fundraising drive, make it short-lived, periodic, and positive. A long-term irritant (like Sad Meeple) isn't used by any non-profit group I know; that's probably because it's proven to be counterproductive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.