Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I won as Napoleon on round 10.

I tried a no-reinforcement strategy again this time.

Legrand deployed units onto the narrow approaches on the Marsh Side. Austria didn't have strong forces on that side so there wasn't much action on that side of the board the whole game.

I startd St. Hilaire with 2 Guard Infantries, 2 three-strength Infantries, and 2 Artilleries on the approach, ready to bombard anything that tried to advance towards it. I also deployed units into the two cities flanking St. Hilaire's starting locale and blocked the approaches there. My plan was for St. Hilaire to hold that position as long as possible; and when either the right side or the left side is being broken, fall back with St. Hilaire across the river and reinforce from the back.

I placed my Fixed Battery on a hill in anticipation of having to fall back there to defend the Blue Stars, which ended up being very critical late game.

Vandame's line was about to fall (he started with fewer forces because I put a lot into Legrand and St. Hilaire), so I pulled Murat from the Highway into Vandamme's starting locale, and pulled St. Hilaire back from the approach. Austria was able to punch through one turn earlier than anticipated though due to Guard attack. (He didn't have any Heavy Cavalry left and Vandame was plugging each of the two narrow approaches with a two-strenghth Infantry, which would draw with any three-strength Infantry--other than Guards--and win on the first tie-break for being on the approach.)

However, Preby got scattered immediately after taking Vandamme's starting locale (should have waited for Milo and Langeron to move in together next round instead of moving in by himself immediately after beating Vandamme off). Instead of moving in like Preby did, I sent only a single Cavalry in. Milo and Langeron were able to move in and reinforce that locale and what was left of Preby ran back to join them there. At this point Austria's chances of getting a Blue Star lies in breaking out from Vandamme's starting locale.

Fortunately for me, St. Hilaire had travelled around the backside to meet the Austrian push through Vandamme's starting locale, and my Fixed Battery (reinforced by Murat and Lannes falling back on the Highway) was overlooking the Austrian's route towards the Highway Side.

Meanwhile Bessierres had moved across the hills on the left towards the enemy backside and eventually was in a position to capture a Green Star. This was my fallback plan in case I couldn't hold all the Blue Stars, and also to pull away Austrian forces and keep them honest on the Highway Side.

On the last round Austria launched a desperation attack on St. Hilaire and lost on Morale. My Morale was also down to 1 on revealing of the Guards on St. Hilaire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report.

How did your strategy of placing St. Hilaire on the approach with artillery work? Was it an effective deterrant, or do you think the Allies would have taken the route further to the north anyway?

You mention that your plan was to retreat orderly with St. Hilaire if things got ugly, but I often find that retreating is difficult when you start in the approach because it takes another turn. How did that work for you?

Did you find that the rear positioning of your fixed battery signalled your strategy too strongly?

Thanks for the report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Sorry just read your comment.

Quote:
How did your strategy of placing St. Hilaire on the approach with artillery work? Was it an effective deterrant, or do you think the Allies would have taken the route further to the north anyway?
I figured if the Allies tries to punch through St. Hilaire's side, then St. Hilaire would be right where he needs to be and ready to bombard. If the Allies tries to attack from other places, then St. Hilaire would be able to fall back and swing around accordingly. Granted, the Allies can use a Cavalry to pin a unit from St. Hilaire's retreating forces by using a Road Feint. If I leave behind a Cavalry, it costs me one Independent Move to move him back to the Reserve (therefore fully functional). So that's sort of trading one Independent Move with one from the Allies. I am okay with that.

Quote:
You mention that your plan was to retreat orderly with St. Hilaire if things got ugly, but I often find that retreating is difficult when you start in the approach because it takes another turn. How did that work for you?
I guess I am okay with taking the extra turn. Game-wise, the time is against the Allies, not me (he has to grab a Blue Star in ten turns). However, I do have to react promptly and have St. Hilaire fall back and reinforce the sides in time (in this game Vandame's side). I was able to do that this game.

Quote:
Did you find that the rear positioning of your fixed battery signalled your strategy too strongly?
Probably, but it might be worth it anyways since the Allies sets up before the French.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
drunkenKOALA wrote:
Sorry just read your comment.

Quote:
I figured if the Allies tries to punch through St. Hilaire's side, then St. Hilaire would be right where he needs to be and ready to bombard. If the Allies tries to attack from other places, then St. Hilaire would be able to fall back and swing around accordingly. Granted, the Allies can use a Cavalry to pin a unit from St. Hilaire's retreating forces by using a Road Feint. If I leave behind a Cavalry, it costs me one Independent Move to move him back to the Reserve (therefore fully functional). So that's sort of trading one Independent Move with one from the Allies. I am okay with that.

Seems like a good idea to equip Hilliare with an artillery unit, as it can be really nasty, especially if he pulls back between the lakes.

Quote:
Quote:
I guess I am okay with taking the extra turn. Game-wise, the time is against the Allies, not me (he has to grab a Blue Star in ten turns). However, I do have to react promptly and have St. Hilaire fall back and reinforce the sides in time (in this game Vandame's side). I was able to do that this game.

I'm just thinking if an Allied corps started messing around in front of Hilliare, while there was also pressure on other fronts, it would be difficult to find the right timing of his retreat. The turn someone enters the locale he is pointing the guns at, it is essentailly too late to retreat, or at the very least being in the approach becomes a serious liability. That is assuming you still needed to reatreat him and not just blast away with the guns obv. His flanks just seem very vulnerable.

Quote:
Quote:
Probably, but it might be worth it anyways since the Allies sets up before the French.

Good point about the setup order modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.