Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zenjoy
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was just wondering. We're getting x3 new races, each of which I assume have a "human" flip-side.

Given the Exiled, Keepers, and Enlightened all seem the more 'alien' of forces - does that mean when they get flipped each is a Syndicate?

If so thats kinda cool! I can imagine having x3 pirate teams on the field would be rather amusing!

P.S.: the Exiles are Pink/ Purple. Which of the other races get which color? I'm assuming the Keepers are the Grey, and the Enlightened are the... cream?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Exiles, Syndicate, and Enlightened are the the 3 races with only one side,

The other race (Magellan) is the one on their reverse, and is available in three factions - like the human on the backside of the base game races, so the Magellans are the humans of the new game, actually giving us 4 new races in the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And races aren't technically assigned colors...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:

I think they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dlhammond wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:

I think they are.

If you look at the examples in the rulebook, they don't match with the colors people typically associate the different races with. It doesn't state anywhere that colors are assigned. And session reports from games with Touko have colors assigned differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:

I didn't think so either. When I play, I certainly don't make an effort to match the races and colors. Players have picked colors and races separately, and play goes on without a hitch.

I will add that, since many people do feel they are joined at the waist, it is very easy for me to convey game information from pictures that are posted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenjoy
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers on the answer :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri Savola
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you're forced to use the race specific colors, but after the first few games I've always used the race colors. It's just nice to pack everything a player needs (including starting hex and ambassador tiles and extra colony ship for green) to a small plastic bag and then give it to the player who decided to choose that color.

I guess if the expansion has starbases for Exiles and Dreadnought miniatures for Syndicate then colors can be distributed as the players wish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jelle Kaptijn
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Petri wrote:
I guess if the expansion has starbases for Exiles and Dreadnought miniatures for Syndicate then colors can be distributed as the players wish.

I think they will, because you must be able to play as Magalaen in that color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri Savola
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cirdan14 wrote:
Petri wrote:

Good point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cirdan14 wrote:
Petri wrote:

Excellent deduction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelvin Lau
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dlhammond wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:

I think they are.

they are intented to play with a particular colour to avoid confusion for those who have little brain. but of course, colours are only some dummy variable and when people could handle colours exchanged, they could of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Watney
United Kingdom
Welwyn Garden City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lofung_hk wrote:
dlhammond wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:

I think they are.

they are intented to play with a particular colour to avoid confusion for those who have little brain. but of course, colours are only some dummy variable and when people could handle colours exchanged, they could of course.

maybe those of us with little brain like to stick to particular associated colours so as to reduce setup time, and to make it easier to associate factions to differing faction abilities for new players? how me know?! ug! where submit button?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they are also assigned a particular color so that choosing Terrans/Magellans eliminates an alien race so you have some control over what you have to play against. Of course it makes no difference if I use the red terran and play with purple (I play purple with every race) as long as no one else can play Eridani.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the background color behind the picture on each of the original six cards indicates the color that race is supposed to play - such as green background behind the art for the Planta .... It does make it much easier to remember who is who in the middle of a six player game if you stick with the intended colors and everybody gets used to those colors.

You can play how you want but if it wasn't intended for certain aliens to play certain colors then why would they bother making the backgrounds match the colors like that?

It also makes set up easier and it makes elimination of a particular alien race easier.

It just makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glookose wrote:
the background color behind the picture on each of the original six cards indicates the color that race is supposed to play - such as green background behind the art for the Planta .... It does make it much easier to remember who is who in the middle of a six player game if you stick with the intended colors and everybody gets used to those colors.

You can play how you want but if it wasn't intended for certain aliens to play certain colors then why would they bother making the backgrounds match the colors like that?

It also makes set up easier and it makes elimination of a particular alien race easier.

It just makes sense.

Yeah, it is intuitive and may make things "easier" but it's also clearly not necessary or even intended. If it were intended, then why specifically put examples in the rulebook where the colors don't match? And based off of session reports, the designer doesn't necessarily play with matching colors every game either...

Of course, it really matters not. I oddly comment on it when I see it brought up....but it's just silliness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Magellan are humans who have returned from the void. (oops, sorry for the misinfo) I really like them so I'm happy to have 3 chances at selecting them. The starting fusion source is awesome and takes away a lot of the clunkyness the normal gun/source/computer upgrade causes. Their predilection for discoveries is also fun as is their use of colony ships to create an extra resource. It's amazing how often having that 1 extra resource really helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sampo Sikiö
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
it's no secret that the stars are falling from the sky / it's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight / they say the sun is sometimes eclipsed by a moon / you know i don't see you when she walks in the room
badge
Shapers of Dorado
mbmbmbmbmb
tranenturm wrote:
The Magellan are humans who have returned from the void.

No, they are not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.