james murray
Canada
Pickering
Ontario
flag msg tools
Would anyone suggest using the deck if it only contained all +1's and +0's? I want to keep the game as strategic as possible but I also want it to reflect a real battle, you cant be sure of everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek W
Poland
flag msg tools
Commutator
badge
.Komutator
mbmbmbmbmb
Nay.

ToB are meant to bring huge uncertainty to the game. And while during most of our games we don't use them, when we decide to add some randomness we expect to have more than -1/0/1 change.
ToB should encourage some risky moves, like attacking with a single footmen heavily guarded stronghold.

Your trim, for me, would nerf the randomness of the games with ToB, when I want it, and still I would play without them when I'd like to have a strategic gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fizolof wrote:
Nay.

Agreed. I don't use them in every game, but when I do use them I do so for a reason. This mod would make them almost pointless: You may as well not use them at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Menzel
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
Missed it by that much ...
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't trim them - either go all in or leave them all out. I don't like the cards because of the randomness they introduce into the game, but from a thematic standpoint they kind of make sense. Of course, dice hate me anyway, and any time cards get a chance to conspire with them ... angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Baker
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with the +3's removed. It's just too large of a swing for my tastes. Otherwise it psychologically feels like Risk to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One possible compromise: a +3 card is a relatively bigger swing in the early game than later on. One could start with a deck containing only +1s and +0s (yes they do make a difference on the first turn) and then add the +2s after the first mustering, and the +3s after the second mustering. This way the deck's randomness naturally scales with the strenghts on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheza Moonmaiden
Germany
flag msg tools
I don't really understand the question. Ask all the other players in your group, if they are fine with it. There is no real point in asking the users of this forum.

I wouldn't remove the +2 or +3 cards. The bonus sounds huge, but you have consider three things:

a) In many cases, the difference between both combat cards will be +1. The +2 or +3 cards have their use, since the player with the sword can't calculate the victory easily, if he has drawn a +1 card. If you remove all +2 and +3 cards, it's a huge bonus for that player.

b) In all cases, a difference of 1 is enough to determine the outcome of a battle. So if you win with a higher difference, the additional bonus from the combat card didn't matter. The combat cards were introduced to give any player a small chance to win a fight, no matter what. So the +3 bonus is only crucial in those situations where the difference in combat strength is already very high.

c) Even if you lose a fight, you usually won't lose any combat units. In many cases, this will be a delay rather than a misery.

Also keep in mind that ALL the strength 1 cards have an additional bonus of either adding an extra kill or a reduced loss. So even if I could choose between a +1 card with a sword and a +2 bonus without any special rules, I wouldn't always prefer the card with the higher bonus. In other words, they are "balanced" by some means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Dearborn
msg tools
I like to play with the Skull Icons removed, if I use ToB at all. The randomness is okay, but you shouldn't have to fear losing a troop if you win the battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke O'Hearn
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't use them - we find the game has a lot going on as is and prefer to let strategy determine the battle.

But I've considered using ToB but ignoring the +/- icons. Basically the cards wouldn't change the winner of the battle, but only change the death count. Sometimes I think too many units survive battles - ythis would be my only motive to include ToB cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.