Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought this at the target in St. Charles Illinois today! They had 3 more copies, just FYI. If you call, they would hold one for you. We're about to play! I'm excited!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Godwin
United States
Branson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto for Branson, Missouri. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let the flood of Star Trek fans into the board game hobby begin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Waddington
United States
Wisconsin Rapids
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I didn't even know about this game until my husband spotted it tonight at Target! Normally, I'm the one with the uncanny ability to spot anything Star Trek even when I'm not looking for it. However, it was late and I was purposely avoiding the lure of scanning the shelves for new board games.

The cashier recognized the game immediately and said that she had just put it on the shelf today and wondered who would ever pay $50 for a board game! Ummm...well geeks who love Star Trek and already own over 400 other board games, ha ha.

But what an amazing coincidence that we happened to find this on the very day it came out--especially since we don't have a Target in our city and so shop there pretty rarely! Three left in Marshfield, Wisconsin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wessels
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto Omaha, Nebraska.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim williamson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aoi_Neko wrote:

The cashier recognized the game immediately and said that she had just put it on the shelf today and wondered who would ever pay $50 for a board game! Ummm...well geeks who love Star Trek and already own over 400 other board games, ha ha.

I have to wonder what she would think about the price of the War of the Ring collector's edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here I was, thinking that I might pass on it for $49.99. Then today I was in Target and I saw them there with the price on the shelf of $29.99!

I took a copy up to the register and it rang up at $49.99. I told the cashier that the price on the shelf was different and the supervisor told me that it was $49.99, but then agreed to come with me to look at it and let me take it for the price posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Adams
United States
Portage
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
anglotiger wrote:
Here I was, thinking that I might pass on it for $49.99. Then today I was in Target and I saw them there with the price on the shelf of $29.99!

I took a copy up to the register and it rang up at $49.99. I told the cashier that the price on the shelf was different and the supervisor told me that it was $49.99, but then agreed to come with me to look at it and let me take it for the price posted.

Wow $29.99! If I could get it for that price I would buy one right now. I went into Target the other day and I about had a heart attack when I saw it in the games section. As a HUGE Star Trek fan and a fan of Catan, this really excited me to see the two together. But then I saw the price. I was very disappointed in it being $50. I really don't think any of the Catan games are worth that much. Hell I just don't think most games are worth the $50 that most are priced at. Especially games like Ticket To Ride, Power Grid, Dominion. I mean look, you can buy Axis & Allies for around $30 at Target and Walmart and that is a game I would price around $50. So if Axis and Allies can be priced at $30 so can many other games including the Catan games and the Start Trek: Catan.

I really want Star Trek: Catan and tried to buy it when I saw it even tho i'm adverse to the price but my gf wouldn't let me. She said I could get it later tho. So I'm gonna try getting it later. I just can't wait to get it and play it. I just hope that people want to play this version. I bought the Star Wars Trilogy: RISK game and no one ever wants to play it. But this being Catan maybe people will be more for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Adams
United States
Portage
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
Aoi_Neko wrote:

True, us Trekkies would buy this game for $50 even if we are adverse to the price. As far as Star Trek and Star Wars games goes, this is actually the best one I've seen so far. I bought the Star Wars Trilogy: RISK game and I havent even played it yet as no one ever wants to play. And most people I have found don't want to play movie or tv theme based games. They just want to play the regular version of the game, which is really disappointing to me. I own probably around 50 games but don't really own games that everyone wants to play on a regular basis like Catan. I just don't see why games like Catan have to be $50 when games like Axis & Allies is only $30 at target and walmart. But even so, I will still be buying this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
slipknot9 wrote:
I mean look, you can buy Axis & Allies for around $30 at Target and Walmart and that is a game I would price around $50. So if Axis and Allies can be priced at $30 so can many other games including the Catan games and the Start Trek: Catan.

It's worth noting that Axis and Allies is produced in massive quantities, far more than Star Trek: Catan will likely ever be produced. That allows for economies of scale and bulk production which reduce costs significantly. Milton Bradley will always be able to sell their mass-produced titles for much less than games from smaller publishers like Mayfair. You're more than welcome to compare the values on a bits level, recognize that there are realities of production that lead to that difference in price. It's not just pure mark-up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slipknot9 wrote:
As a HUGE Star Trek fan and a fan of Catan, this really excited me to see the two together. But then I saw the price. I was very disappointed in it being $50. I really don't think any of the Catan games are worth that much.

I think that they have the regular version of Catan at $41.99, so when you take into account that there are surely some hefty licensing fees that need to be paid to Paramount etc for use of the Star Trek name and images, and the fact that they can't be undercut on the price by anyone, the price makes sense - whether we like it or not.

I do have to say that the production quality is really very high - better than I was expecting. Little plastic versions of "Constitution Class" starships (like the original Enterprise to those who don't know), little plastic stands for those and the outposts and starbases - it's pretty cool.

From reading the rules, the game itself plays exactly like original Catan apart from having five resources instead of four and the character cards - which allow you to break the usual rules. I'm hoping to get it to the table at a gathering tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim williamson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anglotiger wrote:

From reading the rules, the game itself plays exactly like original Catan apart from having five resources instead of four and the character cards - which allow you to break the usual rules. I'm hoping to get it to the table at a gathering tonight.

Not sure what version of the regular Catan your playing but my version has always had 5 resources: Wood, Sheep, Wheat, Ore, and Brick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cheese8242 wrote:
anglotiger wrote:

Not sure what version of the regular Catan your playing but my version has always had 5 resources: Wood, Sheep, Wheat, Ore, and Brick.

I've obviously been playing the one with a missing set of cards and island tiles, and misprints on the helper cards... laugh

Can you tell I haven't played it in a looooong time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian esser
msg tools
i bought my copy today and they did the same thing. the price on shelf was $30, but when it rang up it was $50, they went back and gave me the $30 price because that's what it was labeled as! Sweet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
MILLINGTON
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I just picked up 2 copies for $49.99 each. Only 2 left at the Target I went to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
USMMA95 wrote:

Why would you want two copies? (I just picked up a copy today too).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cauldronofevil wrote:
USMMA95 wrote:

Why would you want two copies? (I just picked up a copy today too).

So you can play 6 players before the expansion comes out! :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.