Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: How are you storing those starships? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Chavis
United States
Palmyra
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up two of the core sets and one each of the expansions for Star Wars: X-Wing, at Gen Con. How are the rest of you storing your starfighters ? Or do you have any good suggestions for storing them? At the moment my expansion ships are just sloppin' around in one of the core boxes while I consider my options. I'm curious what everyone else has come up with.

And completely unrelated to the above, regarding player mats - What do you think about using the player mat from Dreadfleet? I think it was 5'x 4'. I know the theme isn't correct (water instead of empty space) but the size and material might get the job done. Thoughts?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
In hangers and docking bays.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Plano box. Not sure which one as it is out on loan right now.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally broke out a Plano 3700 and checked. I'm actually concerned that it's a bit too big. I can fit 2 TIE Fighters in one space, and 3 X-Wings standing on their engines. Not sure I'm comfortable with that yet.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll probably just toss them in the box until I get enough of them to justify a Battlefoam case.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Baker
United States
St. Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
A good man's steps are ordered by the Lord
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm using this and it's absolutely perfect: http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=ZAG+ORGANIZ...

You can put a ship in each compartment with all it's component's (dial, base, ect.) All my expansion ships are in here. Be sure to keep the ship insert and cover.

Home Depot has them.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
United States
Innsmouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend a trip to
http://www.thefoamfactory.com/packagingfoam/picknpluckcr.htm...
For some pick n pluck foam, and some assorted thickness solid foam. Then, find something to customize. I highly recommend metal lunch boxes, and even unused boxes from other games (your second base set box would hold a bunch of ships). I'm sure you can find all kinds of awesome things on Ebay that would be great to use.

And if you get something deep enough to do 2 layers of storage foam, glue some solid foam behind the top layer of pick and pluck so you can lift it out to access the bottom layer. You could even adds a bit of folded ribbon to give you something to grab and lift.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Yacullo
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lordneep wrote:
I highly recommend a trip to
http://www.thefoamfactory.com/packagingfoam/picknpluckcr.htm...
For some pick n pluck foam, and some assorted thickness solid foam. Then, find something to customize. I highly recommend metal lunch boxes, and even unused boxes from other games (your second base set box would hold a bunch of ships). I'm sure you can find all kinds of awesome things on Ebay that would be great to use.

And if you get something deep enough to do 2 layers of storage foam, glue some solid foam behind the top layer of pick and pluck so you can lift it out to access the bottom layer. You could even adds a bit of folded ribbon to give you something to grab and lift.


This is a great suggestion. What thickness would you need for these ships?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
United States
Innsmouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly have no idea as I'm waiting for mine to ship! You're probably fine with a half inch, but if you get inch and it's too deep, just punch out the whole shape at once (instead of square by square) and then cut your punch out in half to fill up the hole. Or60/40 cut as needed.

And egg crate for the lid is always handy!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My solution:



Plano 5231
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lordneep wrote:
I honestly have no idea as I'm waiting for mine to ship! You're probably fine with a half inch, but if you get inch and it's too deep, just punch out the whole shape at once (instead of square by square) and then cut your punch out in half to fill up the hole. Or60/40 cut as needed.


The largest shortest dimension is on the TIE Fighter at 32mm, or just under 1.5". All other ships have at least 1 measurable dimension shorter than that. So I would say at least a 1.5" pluck foam would be necessary.

Perhaps you could have have a separate sheet for each type of ship, in that case:

X-Wing: 18mm (0.8 in)
TIE Fighter: 32mm (1.5 in)
TIE Advanced: 22mm (1 in)
Y-Wing: 13mm (0.6 in)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Baker
United States
St. Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
A good man's steps are ordered by the Lord
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I emailed battlefoam and it looks like they will be announcing a set soon for the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Musco
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
rvrratt wrote:
I emailed battlefoam and it looks like they will be announcing a set soon for the game.


Great... MORE money to spend on this game...cry
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Baker
United States
St. Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
A good man's steps are ordered by the Lord
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tiepilot1138 wrote:
rvrratt wrote:
I emailed battlefoam and it looks like they will be announcing a set soon for the game.


Great... MORE money to spend on this game...cry


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
United States
Innsmouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
karrde wrote:
lordneep wrote:
I honestly have no idea as I'm waiting for mine to ship! You're probably fine with a half inch, but if you get inch and it's too deep, just punch out the whole shape at once (instead of square by square) and then cut your punch out in half to fill up the hole. Or60/40 cut as needed.


The largest shortest dimension is on the TIE Fighter at 32mm, or just under 1.5". All other ships have at least 1 measurable dimension shorter than that. So I would say at least a 1.5" pluck foam would be necessary.

Perhaps you could have have a separate sheet for each type of ship, in that case:

X-Wing: 18mm (0.8 in)
TIE Fighter: 32mm (1.5 in)
TIE Advanced: 22mm (1 in)
Y-Wing: 13mm (0.6 in)


My suggestion then would be the 1.5 thickness and use it for all the ships. When you punch out the spot for a ship, do it all at once, and then cut the punch out in half (more or less depending on the ship)if needed. Then put itin the hole and voila you've got customizable depths. You shouldn't even need to glue it in.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.