Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I've got two guys at work that are pretty enthusiastic about playing some games during lunch. (I know, how cool is that?!) We've played Dominion a couple of times and they both said they enjoyed it, but I think they would prefer something a bit more confrontational. When I asked the one guy afterwards which types of games he thinks he would be most interested in his response was, "I want to conquer, and pillage!" I don't have any qualms with playing conquest sorts of games- the trouble is finding one that offers a decent amount of challenge, strategically speaking, and can consistently and comfortably be played during a typical lunch break, and can be played by more than two players.

I was excited about Neuroshima Hex! for a few minutes yesterday, but it sounds like it really doesn't play that well with four people. Then, again, there were only three of us playing today. But a few others have expressed interest as well. Also, NH isn't a typical conquest game. Don't get me wrong- I think it looks like a cool game, but it seems more like an abstract with a pasted on theme and I'm not sure how well it would go over with this group.

I'm also looking pretty closely at Rallyman and Cave Troll. True, neither of these are conquest games, but I think they might be pretty well received.

But back to the point- the conquest type games. Is there a decent conquest type game that can be played in under an hour, by more than two people? Feel free to share suggestions for other types of games that you think might go over well with this group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops might be worth a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo.

[edit]

You're going to be hard pressed to get a "conquest" experience in an hour or less. So give them a taste of pillaging Tokyo as a super-giant monster (a la Rampage!). It's the closest you'll get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World, time should be fine if it's just 3 people, BUT it is fiddly to set up.

Smash Up might fit better as a lunch game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
I was excited about Neuroshima Hex! for a few minutes yesterday, but it sounds like it really doesn't play that well with four people.
If you do try Neuroshima Hex with four, it's best to play in teams 2 vs. 2.
If you play with three it's best to use the alternate scoring method where everyone starts at zero and you earn points by hitting opponent HQs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunder Road
Nuclear War
Wrasslin'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Alves
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you read all two pages from the rulebook of Battle Beyond Space you will get satisfied.

I just got it. Fast, super tactical, 2 to 4 playes, with variable player powers.

And it is not expansive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Here's my shortlist as of right now:

King of Tokyo
Neuroshima Hex!
Rallyman
Cave Troll
Condotierre

Thunder Road sounds pretty cool, but I doubt I'll have an opportunity to buy it any time soon. I own SmallWorld, but it's too long. Nexus Ops is probably too long as well. I'm really tempted by The Ares Project, but I get the feeling that it's too complex a game to teach and play at lunch time. Battle Beyond Space sounds pretty awesome. It was kind of already on my radar. But it appears to be pretty difficult to acquire at the moment.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a pity you don't have more time to play.

If you had a couple of hours, the list of Conquer & Pillage games gets alot longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Damjon wrote:
It's a pity you don't have more time to play.

If you had a couple of hours, the list of Conquer & Pillage games gets alot longer.

So true. Finding the perfect game to play during my lunch break seems to have become a game in and of itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell your friends Rome is not built in an hour. You may need three hours or more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultracheng wrote:
Tell your friends Rome is not built in an hour. You may need three hours or more.

Pretty sure it's the boss that'd take issue with that, not the friends

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.