Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vaughn Egge
United States
Oakland
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
mbmb
I recently purchased Troyes after reading and watching some rave reviews on it. I tried to play it with my girlfriend about a week ago and we were both eminently confused about whether or not we were supposed to use only the grey neutral meeples' dice or the meeples themselves.

On one hand, I know they can be used to block players from influence and victory points by combatting events, suggesting that their meeples are to be employed.

On the other hand, the neutral meeples have no influence points or deniers with which to work.

Additionally, if they (the meeples) are to be used, is it by a different player each round (always by the starting player, which alternates rounds) or each turn within the round (constantly alternating)?

Heeeeeeeeeelp! My girlfriend and I have not gotten it to the table since and the last thing I want is for us to let time engender a psychological block against such a potentially fantastic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this would be better placed in the Troyes forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Should be moved to the Troyes forum, but I'll try to help (not exactly sure what you have been doing...)

The grey (neutral) meeples occupy building spaces (and therefore the neutrals control some dice).
Dice controlled by the neutrals are rolled separately, by the starting player, and placed in the neutral sector of the city (under the Cathedral).
Grey dice are bought like other dice - the money goes back to the bank.

Grey meeples are never placed on occupations.

Grey cubes are placed as a consequence of event cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughn Egge
United States
Oakland
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sorry, I didn't realize there was a Troyes forum. I'll remember that next time.

Thanks for the help. I understand that grey meeples' dice are rolled and, if purchased, the deniers are given to the bank. What I'm not sure about is to what extent the 2 players are to use the grey meeples throughout each round. Just to combat black dice and the events (in the beginning of the round) or throughout the round.

Thanks again. I'd be happy to repost this to the Troyes forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thread moved to Troyes» Forums » General

P.S. There's a forum for every game meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Grant
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davaughnci wrote:
Sorry, I didn't realize there was a Troyes forum. I'll remember that next time.

Thanks for the help. I understand that grey meeples' dice are rolled and, if purchased, the deniers are given to the bank. What I'm not sure about is to what extent the 2 players are to use the grey meeples throughout each round. Just to combat black dice and the events (in the beginning of the round) or throughout the round.

Thanks again. I'd be happy to repost this to the Troyes forum.

The neutral player doesn't combat events or perform actions. Some events will make use of grey cubes (e. g. Support or Migrant Workers.) and of course you already know the neutral player gets dice that players can purchase by paying the bank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughn Egge
United States
Oakland
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks so much. That's very helpful.

I must say that, while the rulebook is well written and clear overall, there seem to be a couple of mistakes/things that need to be clarified. First, of course, there's the misprint with the wrong activity card being pictured. Second, the bit in the rules about using the grey meeples to block opponents on event cards could be clarified/explained.

I really look forward to playing this game now. My girlfriend and I kept saying to one another "we have to be doing this incorrectly" and, thus, finished only one round when it got late and the game became too clunky for us to go on. Just using the meeples' dice seems soooooo much easier (probably because it's the way it's SUPPOSED to be played ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.