Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this game a couple of times at GenCon, loved it, ordered it, excited to play more.

Some ratings comments really ding on the blind "draw 2" of the travel cards and the luck therein.

A really simple fix would be a tableau a la Ticket to Ride. Since it's normally blind, I doubt you want to have five cards out there, but maybe two or three? And you can still draw off the top, of course.

Let me know what you think. Hopefully I just cured someone's buyer's remorse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a good idea if one feels the cards are too much luck. I have played this game one time so far and for the most part I was able to move about the board without too many problems. If you start a tableau of cards then the helper cards won't seem as valuable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
rogerramjet3361 wrote:
Sounds like a good idea if one feels the cards are too much luck. I have played this game one time so far and for the most part I was able to move about the board without too many problems. If you start a tableau of cards then the helper cards won't seem as valuable.

Agree. Traveling wasn't my problem with this game. It seemed easy enough to get around, especially with early guides from the books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brahan
United States
North Sutton
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this game last night with my wife and we had a blast. Only twice in the game did one of us let out an audible "son of a gun" after a card draw. I think that the luck factor is pretty light, and as someone else pointed out, it it can be neutralized with an assistant or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree it's probably not necessary, since you have a Joker to use every turn, and you can pay $5 to change the color of a card. Just going off some of the comments I read in the ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of having one or two face up cards in order to help mitigate the "luck of the draw" aspect. I've only played once, but on two of my early to mid game draw actions (separated from each other by a single travel action), I drew all green cards. That would have been bad enough, but I also already had a green helper in my hand. It was a bit frustrating.

Edit: However, having the face up card tableau used in conjunction with the card drawing bonus for joining certain expeditions may be too powerful. The bonus cards should probably be limited to blind draws off of the top of the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to confess that I taught the game Robert played, and I completely forgot to tell people about the "pay $5 to change a color" rule. It is so rarely useful, but might have been helpful in that case. I'll try to do better when I teach in the future.

In the 4 games I have played (two 2p against myself and two 4p for real), I have only once had a truly terrible hand of cards. I think it was a joker plus 3 oranges. I worked through it, and it didn't happen again. Robert's case is pretty extreme, and unfortunate that it happened in his first-ever game of Africana.

So put me in the camp of leaving the game as it is. If you need a TtR-style tableau, I would keep it as small as possible--maybe just one or two cards. And/or apply the "engine" rule to all cards: If you take a face up card, that's all you get. If you draw blind, you get two cards as usual.

EDIT: And I agree that the joining rewards should always be a blind draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.