Popular Tags: [View All]
daniel mulia
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In 3 players game, 2 players have Holographic Decoy cards
When using Smuggler's Alliance ability, what will I take from other players?
A. I take only one Holographic Decoy from one player
B. I take one Holographic Decoy from one player and then discard another Holographic Decoy from other player

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm...your first action is to steal a tech card (holographic decoy) from player 1, then you try to steal resources from player 2 but get the HD card which is discarded because it is a duplicate.

Yup, the answer is B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel mulia
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dniel wrote:
[q="CleverMojo"]Hmmmm...your first action is to steal a tech card (holographic decoy) from player 1, then you try to steal resources from player 2 but get the HD card which is discarded because it is a duplicate.

Yup, the answer is B

But, I thought that you can't steal any resources if the player has the HD card, even take the card because with the ability you can only steal 1 card which I've done it with other player

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going from memory and an old update from the original kickstarter that I googled, but I think the Holographic Decoy says "While you possess the Holographic Decoy a player may not use the Raider’s Outpost to steal resources from you. -OR- If a player wishes to steal an alien tech card from you then they may only take your Holographic Decoy."

So you definitely wouldn't be able to steal two Decoys. From that wording it seems like maybe you could steal the Decoy from one player and then steal resources from him too? But definitely not two Decoys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Arnold
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
I'm going from memory and an old update from the original kickstarter that I googled, but I think the Holographic Decoy says "While you possess the Holographic Decoy a player may not use the Raider’s Outpost to steal resources from you. -OR- If a player wishes to steal an alien tech card from you then they may only take your Holographic Decoy."

So you definitely wouldn't be able to steal two Decoys. From that wording it seems like maybe you could steal the Decoy from one player and then steal resources from him too? But definitely not two Decoys.

That's the way I read the two rule sections (meaning you can't take two decoys). But you can DEFINITELY hammer one player by taking the HD and four resources...that is the second of two specifically listed examples in the rules. Kinda makes you not want a HD in a weird way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jer Wolfe
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CleverMojo wrote:
Hmmmm...your first action is to steal a tech card (holographic decoy) from player 1, then you try to steal resources from player 2 but get the HD card which is discarded because it is a duplicate.

Yup, the answer is B

Dave,

You seem knowledgeable and are also a designer of an add-on for AF, but your not the game designer for AF.
On 1 thread (here) you answered the exact opposite of what Tory intended.
Since your answer makes the HD basically useless, I will deffer until I hear Tory sound off.
Until then I will not allow 2 cards to be taken during the same action.
Even though it states on the HD that it will happen if the owner of HD gets raided, but that was before Factions and I think a ruling is needed, from Tory.

my $.02
Jer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Freels
Australia
Rooty Hill (Sydney)
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
David is allowed to make mistakes (just as you or I) without getting his head bit off. So please give him a break.

The Smuggler's Alliance changed quite a bit during development. At one time the Alliance were actually "Smugglers" with a black market for ore. So with the constant changes with games and the other games David has in development, one does forget rules.

Now, about the scenario mentioned:

Holographic Decoy: Opponents may not steal fuel/ore from you with the Raiders Outpost. If they steal card from you then it must be this card.

Smugglers Alliance facility: ...Once docked, the player may raid four resources AND one Alien Tech card from any combination of opponents.

Example 2: Purple docks a 2,3,4 at the Raiders’ Outpost then
immediately docks a ship at Smuggler’s Alliance and pays the
one-fuel access fee. Purple proceeds to steal one ore from Red,
two ore from Blue, a Plasma Cannon from Green, and one
ore from Yellow.

Example 3: Purple docks a 3,4,5 at the Raiders’ Outpost, then
immediately docks a ship at Smuggler’s Alliance and pays the
one-fuel access fee. Purple steals the Holographic Decoy from
Red and then steals four ore from Red as well.

I believe that example 3 covers the scenario. You would steal the Decoy from a player (that is your tech card). That player is now fair game to have his resources stolen. The player with the other decoy is still protected from resource stealing since you have already stolen your one tech card.

This greatly weakens the Holographic Decoy card when the Smuggler's Alliance faction is in play. This was intended! The SA facility is a Decoy-breaker. I recommend that you not play with the SA if anyone in your group is a Tenderheart Carebear or whinges too much about the Raiders Outpost being too powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jer Wolfe
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandon,

First off I don't think in any way "I bit his head off"
Spittledung wrote:
David is allowed to make make mistakes (just as you or I) without getting his head bit off. So please give him a break.
I stated I think he is knowledgeable and the he is a designer and linked his add-on so new readers would see it.

Second, in the thread I linked, even David said...
CleverMojo wrote:
Ah well, David is wrong again.

Thirdly, even though in that thread, David disagreed with you...
CleverMojo wrote:
I would respectfully disagree, Brandon.
does that mean I was less respectful, just because I did not use that word?

Fourthly, you seem knowledgeable and also have made an add-on, but again you are not the designer of AF. So even though you basically said I was right, I again defer until Tory chimes in.

So someone else does not mistake the "tone of this thread" and come to the someone else's defense, lets give credit where credit is due.

AF - Designed by Tory Niemann.
AF - Published by Clever Mojo Games, owned by David.
AF - Playtesters, neither he, nor you good sir, are listed in the AF rulebook.

AF Factions - Designed by Tory Niemann.
AF Factions - again published by Clever Mojo Games, owned by David.
AF Factions - Playtesters, you both are listed as playtesters.

So when it comes to "Factions" questions I would take your guys responses as cannon, unless, as in that thread, you and David, disagreed. Then I would wait for an official response.

But when it comes to a card that was from the original game, and in no way, were you or David involved with the original game (Neither he, nor you are listed anywhere in the credits, see *caveat), I will reserve my judgement on the validity of your answers, until I hear your responses are official (see *official).

*Caveat - David's company was involved with the original game, but just because you own a Ford dealership, do you know why the Ford engineers, put the AC knob on the left side instead of the right? More than likely you do not. So if there is a question, and many opinions, then only the Engineers can "Officially" answer that.

*Official - Even you, Brandon, have said "I will get the Official answer from Tory" in a few threads (sorry I did not quote, but I am tired of proving the validity of my opinion and also proving I was not disrespectful).

That is the one of the many issues I have with users on forums, in that everything is mostly taken as attacks or slights to peoples actual characters (as if) and it is usually 3rd party users who "defend" the so called "slighted one"... So it is you, who should "respectfully" fracking chillax! whistle And if David thought "I bit his head off" then he should/would have posted such and I would have explained to him, as I am to you, that I in no way did that.

As a matter of fact "THIS" post is more "slighted" than the one I was accused of doing, because I am miffed that it was taken wrong and I feel "slighted" a bit myself, but I am coming to my own defense and not relying on someone else to get involved... Hint, hint? .

And lastly, I said my $.02 cents, which in laymen terms, is my opinion.

Just my $.02 devil
Jer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.