StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While reading through the new rules book/supplement I found entries for the Italian and French regular armies.

Not counting special units (marines, ski troops, engineers...) the US and German regular armies have no national characteristics (the Russian Komisar is a characteristic albeit frequently detrimental).

If the US and German regular armies had a trait/characteristic what would they be?

How about when national characteristics are in effect...

US - Tenacious Fighters (late war), when a Regular US infantry unit close assaults an enemy unit and forces a retreat (1 or more flags rolled) it may take ground and then conduct a 1 die attack at 1 to 2 hexes range (does not have to target the retreating unit).

German - Staunch Defenders, when one or more flags are rolled against a regular German infantry or armor unit, the unit retreats one hex and then may battle back with one die ignoring terrain modifiers (German units conduct battle back before enemy takes ground), then move for the remaining flags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Roper
South Africa
Hout Bay
Western Cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blitz Rules alter the characteristics to give the Germans an advantage, but I guess you alluded to that by saying Regular in Bold.

And the Marines have special Characteristics.

I think the national characteristics of the rest are to differentiate them from the Allies in the base game, so effectively you could say that the base rules are the American National characteristics and all of the others show how their own doctrine varied from that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I thought of Blitz rules as I was going to sleep last night... Doh!!!

So Blitz for early war and Staunch Defenders for late war.

I was thinking the Marines are more of specialized units as they are only used in Pacific scenarios... I know they did serve in Europe but I don't think the Marine Corps doctrine would apply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Roper
South Africa
Hout Bay
Western Cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
German - Staunch Defenders, when one or more flags are rolled against a regular German infantry or armor unit, the unit retreats one hex and then may battle back with one die ignoring terrain modifiers (German units conduct battle back before enemy takes ground), then move for the remaining flags.

I like the concept of both as House rules, but as most defensible terrain also blocks LOS the Germans would have nothing to fire at if battling back after retreating but before the enemy takes ground. Or is that what you meant by ignoring terrain modifiers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caroper wrote:
StevenE wrote:

I like the concept of both as House rules, but as most defensible terrain also blocks LOS the Germans would have nothing to fire at if battling back after retreating but before the enemy takes ground. Or is that what you meant by ignoring terrain modifiers?

Correct, no defense/terrain modifier for the one die attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron H
United States
Washington
Missouri
flag msg tools
I play Memor 44,Tide of Iron, and Axis and Allies:1942!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
While reading through the new rules book/supplement I found entries for the Italian and French regular armies.

Not counting special units (marines, ski troops, engineers...) the US and German regular armies have no national characteristics (the Russian Komisar is a characteristic albeit frequently detrimental).

If the US and German regular armies had a trait/characteristic what would they be?

How about when national characteristics are in effect...

US - Tenacious Fighters (late war), when a Regular US infantry unit close assaults an enemy unit and forces a retreat (1 or more flags rolled) it may take ground and then conduct a 1 die attack at 1 to 2 hexes range (does not have to target the retreating unit).

Here are some nationality rules I got from the internet;

German nationality rules
Kampfgruppe
You may form Kampfgruppe, i.e. reform 2 depleted units
into 1 unit. The2 depleted units must before the same type:
infantry,armor, or artillery. A unit with a special ability
which forms a Kampfgruppe with a unit without that special
ability loses that special ability; ie. 2units forming a
Kampfgruppe must share a special ability for that special
ability to be retained by the newly formed Kampfgruppe.
Forming a Kampfgruppe.Perform these steps:
● Order both units.
● Move either or both units into the same hex.
● Award 1 victory medal to your opponent (always!).
● Remove models in excess of the formed unit's
normal quota (if any).
● Your newly formed Kampfgruppe may move no
further in that turn, but may battle subject to all
normal rules.

U.S. Army rules
Logistical superiority
The Medics and Mechanics card orders 2units for the U.S.
Army.Roll hand size plus one battle dice for each unit.
Go!Go!Go!
You are allowed to 'Mulligan'. That is: you may discard as
many cards from your hand as you wish and draw to refill
your hand.
When you can mulligan.You may mulligan:
● At the start of the game.
● After either player has played the Their Finest Hour
card.
● After you have played an Airstrike.
Notes on timing and procedures.Apply whichever of
these rules apply to your mulligan:
● At the start of the game: mulligan after setup is
complete and before the first turn.
● After Their Finest Hour: discard before reshuffling;
draw your card afterwards.
● After your opponent's turn: discard and draw after
your opponent draws their new card(s).
● After your turn: discard after moving/battling, then
draw.
(Sorry about the emoticons before)

"And while the hordes of death are mighty, the battalions of life are mightier still. It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.