Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
43 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: Worldwide Promos & Accessories Math Trade, Part III (GENCON edition!) Discussion Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Please use this thread to discuss anything related to the currently running Worldwide Promo-only Math Trade.

There's also a wantlist available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
NB As I do these quarterly, the next one will be in November (post Essen). Hopefully there's some good Gencon loot people are looking to offload and/or acquire right now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Damnit.

I got quite a few Promos. And not many I still want. Those that I want tend to be on the costly side, while those that I have tend to be not so much...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, you might want to put a link to the discussion thread also as a comment to the GeekList.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kreikkaturkulainen wrote:
Hey, you might want to put a link to the discussion thread also as a comment to the GeekList.

Good thinkin', as always!

Dumon wrote:
I got quite a few Promos. And not many I still want. Those that I want tend to be on the costly side, while those that I have tend to be not so much...

You should definitely list them anyway. There's nothing stopping people from putting cash offers into the trade (and there very likely will be quite a few), so you might end up getting enough dough to buy a new game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to see some RPGs in this one. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, I should have done in the past. And there's tons of videogame shwag that gets handed out at conventions too, so why not, I thought

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If anybody is interested in the promos that I offer, but wants to have an offer that combines promo items, then contact me. There are a couple of single cards, for example, and if anybody wants to combine them into a pack of multiple promos so that he can bid on it, I'd be happy to oblige.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin Schiavone
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whad do you consider as "pricey"?

I don't like to buy promo cards so it's just curiosity of me whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Valahuir wrote:
Whad do you consider as "pricey"?

I can't speak for Karsten, but if you don't mind me butting in, I would consider anything over $5 too expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've paid upwards of $15 for some rare promos, but I'm a pathological completionist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin Schiavone
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And what is rare, according to you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just the promos that are exceedingly hard to get: Lords of Waterdeep promo, Alien Frontiers Space Crane (which I got in the last maths trade, hurrah!), just the ones that only got a limited release and/or people generally won't trade away for whatever reason.

Usually I'm willing to go up to $10 for something I really want like Mundus Novus promo, Star Trek Expeditions Tribbles, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Valahuir wrote:

I didn't mean that you need to bid on them with money. Just that if all your promo items are things like miniatures, or multiple tiles to be punched out of a frame, then you probably don't want to trade them against single playing cards. But it is always a one-for-one trade in a math trade, and you can't split your "big" promo into smaller chunks to bid on multiple "small" promos. In that case, I could combine smaller promos so you'd have something that's comparable to what you're giving.

EDIT: Oh wait, I think you were referring to
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:

You should definitely list them anyway. There's nothing stopping people from putting cash offers into the trade (and there very likely will be quite a few), so you might end up getting enough dough to buy a new game!

I found some. Heaven knows, there are some listed that I still want...
surprise

Well, I am going to list everything I have anyway. Just waiting for the Trade List to be available in the OLWLG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
Well, I am going to list everything I have anyway. Just waiting for the Trade List to be available in the OLWLG.

If the reason is that you want to add items from previous geeklists, you don't have to, just use this custom URL:
http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/addmygames.cgi?listid=1462...
That's the way that I had my items in there that fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand. I can add items to a list in the OLWLG that is not yet listed in the OLWLG? Really?

And yes, that was my reason...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Hammen
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Just wanted to check before I add it, does this count as a promo?Fresco: Expansion Module 7 – The Scrolls

I only ask because I am pretty sure this is now an available expansion, though I do have the bagged promo version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good to me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
This is not yet showing on OLWLG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
I don't understand. I can add items to a list in the OLWLG that is not yet listed in the OLWLG? Really?

Using the link that I provided: yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool link Karsten. I'm amazed I can still learn something new each maths trade.

Also, we're listed on the OLWLG now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So how do people ship promos? I've participated in the last few math trades, and I won't ship even a single card without:
A: putting it in plastic
B: taping the plastic to a stiffener, usually a piece or two of scavenged cardboard
C: putting the cardboard into a bubble-wrap envelope

Each of the last two math trades, most of the items I've shipped have been overseas. Even with all the packing materials free, stiffened envelopes (due to the cardboard) have to be shipped as packages, not letters. The net result is that the shipping cost is around $3.60.

Most of the things I've received have been packaged the same way.

Sure, BGG can sell promos for $5, but if something happens to it in the mail, either A) they can just ship another one, no problem, or B) they can refund the buyer $5. If something I ship gets damaged due to my poor packing, my only recourse is to track down another copy of it, buy it, and mail it on. Hence I have to protect it well.

So I have to ask - why do people put $5 Paypal entries in the math trade?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Digren wrote:
So how do people ship promos? I've participated in the last few math trades, and I won't ship even a single card without:
A: putting it in plastic
B: taping the plastic to a stiffener, usually a piece or two of scavenged cardboard
C: putting the cardboard into a bubble-wrap envelope

Each of the last two math trades, most of the items I've shipped have been overseas. Even with all the packing materials free, stiffened envelopes (due to the cardboard) have to be shipped as packages, not letters. The net result is that the shipping cost is around $3.60.

Most of the things I've received have been packaged the same way.

Sure, BGG can sell promos for $5, but if something happens to it in the mail, either A) they can just ship another one, no problem, or B) they can refund the buyer $5. If something I ship gets damaged due to my poor packing, my only recourse is to track down another copy of it, buy it, and mail it on. Hence I have to protect it well.

So I have to ask - why do people put $5 Paypal entries in the math trade?

Some promos are not available at the BGG store, and I guess some would like to pay $5 for it. In any case, nobody is forced to put those money items in their want lists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Pachner
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shipping from Germany is about the same price (3.45 EUR) for most promo items. And the difference to $5 barely covers the PayPal fees. So the only items where I put $5 offers on my want lists are those I'd have thrown away otherwise. But as a regular visitor of the Spiel in Essen I have plenty of those so I usually list one or two nonetheless.
While gamer-me says "You idiot, it's not even worth the time you spend on packing!", collector-me is a very superstitious guy who thinks that throwing away board game related items leads to bad karma and it's better to give them away to a place where they are welcome ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.