Bora Bora» Forums » News

Subject: Overview rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pasvik -
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you non-germans, who are waiting for some news of the game, I forward my translation of a Gameoverview on the german-based Page "Pöppelkiste" which I provided for CarlG on a "Stefan-Feld"-post:

"Bora Bora will be published by alea (probably no. 15 of the big sized boxes - makes it the 6th in a row by Feld) and is a game for 2 to 4 player from 12 years on.

"Advice: The pictures are from the prototype by Stefan Feld. The description of the game is based on the proto which is already very developed. To date (June 2012) it is not clear if the game will be produced until Spiel 12 or if it will be - as with Burgen von Burgund - merely presented as a proto with almost finished graphics.

The Bora Bora Atoll is devided into one central island with four areas. Around this are another four islands with two areas each. On one of these areas you will start the game with one dwelling.

The main mechanic are 5 to 7 actions (depends on the number of players) which are detrmined by a roll of a die and will then be executed. In addtion, every player rolls three own dice. Each player in turn order takes a die, places it on the action he wants to do and executes the action chosen. As long as no die has been put on an action before, every die can be placed on the respective action-spot. Afterwards the next die has to have a number smaller than all the other dice on that card. At the beginning of the game the players only have little property. Three taskcards will help to find a direction what to do. Gods and a "Supergod" will help along the way.

Lets have a look at the possible actions.

With people and - at first only - huts (later men and women) the players establish a village. Both will give advantages later in the game. What to select will be determined by the rolled dice. The persons are on a scale from 1 to 6 and the palyer is allowed to take a person with a number equal or smaller to the rolled die. Thus, with a 6 a player may pick up every person. With a 1 only that one. This mechanic is almost the same when expanding on the islands, whereas moving on land and water is treated slightly different. Every route demands a specific number, which needs to be reached with the rolled die. Quite similar it is with the secret-council, where the players can reach better positions when the number rolled is higher. Then there is also a worker who brings raw-material for a final building which - as being finished - will give extra points. Moreover, the worker delivers gods and flowers. Flowers are donated to the gods in order to activate them. Gods help the players e. g. by allowing to place dice where it would normally not be possible anymore or to make a 6 out of a just rolled dice.

After this placing-phase the persons will be activated as by type of the person or the huts, which means that, in case a players has more than one person or hut of a kind, all of them will be activated. By this way the players can get more persons, expand, gather shells and much more.

In the last phase of a round victory-points will be given depending on rankings. Tatoos, another goodie, give points and determine the new playing order. In the secret-council players receive points for every person placed there and the player with the majority gets a "Supergod". This one substitutes any other god and has not to be paid with flowers. For their shells players may purchase sea-animlas which also give points. At last a taskcard will be fulfilled and replaced by a new one chosen by the resp. player from an open stock. Game ends after six rounds. At the end of the game players receive further points for the kult-places on which they placed persons. Only the player who expanded to that place last gets the points. Finally the remaing three taskcards of the players will be evaluated.

Concl.: It is a game which feels a bit like Burgen von Burgund, while the structure has more veriaty and is much more thematic. I wait for the final version"

After this quite vast description, which left many things a bit unclear to me (gods? SUPERGOD? Shells, Flowers, Seaanimals and tatoos???) imho it seems more like a Luna with a dice mechanic. Anyway: Its a Feld!!!! and I am very excited!

Hope I could transport a first expression of what information was given to us so far."

Can´t wait until October, still! Though it seems that the game won´t be finished until then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pasvik wrote:

Concl.: It is a game which feels a bit like Burgen von Burgund, while the structure has more veriaty and is much more thematic. I wait for the final version"

This is why I've held off on getting Die Burgen von Bugund...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pasvik wrote:
After this quite vast description, which left many things a bit unclear to me (gods? SUPERGOD? Shells, Flowers, Seaanimals and tatoos???) imho it seems more like a Luna with a dice mechanic. Anyway: Its a Feld!!!! and I am very excited!

For a designer who has made some fun but extremely dry-themed Euro's, it makes me wonder what sort of state he was in when making the theme to this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasvik -
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dyepbr wrote:

For a designer who has made some fun but extremely dry-themed Euro's, it makes me wonder what sort of state he was in when making the theme to this game.

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Abrunhosa
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A must have for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen
Belgium
Rotselaar
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the info, sounds great! I love Burgund and Luna so this will be high on my wish-list
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Afterwards the next die has to have a number smaller than all the other dice on that card

This is beyond genius. It essentially makes the number of spaces in a specific action dynamic AND the number of spaces a player chooses to block dynamic aswell. I hate you Stephen Feld. This man is the most solid designer in the industry today. He might not have the best games consistently, but he has the most consistency in bringing out solid games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
RoosterJuice wrote:
Quote:
Afterwards the next die has to have a number smaller than all the other dice on that card

This is beyond genius. It essentially makes the number of spaces in a specific action dynamic AND the number of spaces a player chooses to block dynamic aswell. I hate you Stephen Feld. This man is the most solid designer in the industry today. He might not have the best games consistently, but he has the most consistency in bringing out solid games.
Gah! You're right. That simple mechanism really is brilliant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasvik -
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the Prototype yesterday. This mechanism truly IS beyond genius. Although it is "just" about using dice, it leaves you with hard decisions since there are three dice to be used and you cannot be sure if you will be able to use your next die the way you planned to when it gets your turn again. I will write more about the game later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RoosterJuice wrote:
I hate you Stephen Feld. This man is the most solid designer in the industry today. He might not have the best games consistently, but he has the most consistency in bringing out solid games.

This title goes to Vlaada Chvatil in my book, but I already checked that you don't like, for instance, Dungeon Lords, which I find a very good game .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
RoosterJuice wrote:
Quote:

I take offence at him NOT bringing out the best games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." - Philo
badge
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really looking forward to this game! thumbsupcool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
RoosterJuice wrote:
Quote:

Didn't Alien Frontiers do this exact thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not even remotely

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
RoosterJuice wrote:
Not even remotely

You put a die in an area and others must use a die with a higher value to take the action. Sounds pretty similar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Alves
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elltrain wrote:
RoosterJuice wrote:
Quote:

It does! In one of the actions, but the inverse (most put a higher die).
And the fact that the value of the dice gives different outcomes in the same action.

I love AF, and I'm very excited to get this game too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gugadin wrote:
Elltrain wrote:
RoosterJuice wrote:
Quote:

It does! In one of the actions, but the inverse (most put a higher die).
And the fact that the value of the dice gives different outcomes in the same action.

I love AF, and I'm very excited to get this game too!

I think the twist in Bora Bora is that the higher #s are more desirable in terms of action allowed or resources collected, but you can block out other players by placing the lower #s. At least that's more or less what I gathered from the info I've read...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, but though the higher numbered die in Alien Frontiers may not be more valuable at the dock being referenced (where you gain the gray resource), it is in fact more valuable at a few other docks. So when you use a six to gain one resource and block others, you are doing this instead of using it to gain a colony, to gain three energy, or combined with any other die to gain a card, all of which are (generally) of greater value than one ore.

This game makes the trade-off in the decision more immediate (maybe not the best word). Regardless of possible similarities, it's distinct and smart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.