Brian Schwartz
United States
Holbrook
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I played the full game last night with a person who had never played before, he was very patient, but a bunch of things came up:

So for Discontent workers: I'm confused about when they become discontent. I know the second box requires 2 happiness. WHen you get to the third box, does the three happiness apply to when it is full or empty? When someone is discontent, you take a worker from your unused pool and put them on the happiness track to indicate you have an unhappy worker, correct?

What is the hand limit for civil cards in the game? i know it's in the rules but i wasn't able to find it in my flipping of it. How do you know when it changes? WHen do you discard (besides the obvious at the end of an age?)

LEt's say I'm paying the production cost for something that is 5 ore, and I only have 1 ore that represents 6. Do I make "Change" for myself? And where do I put it?

Do you discard military cards for previous age at the end of the age as well?

And let's say I have a card that costs 10 to uprade, and I have the previous technology which costs 6, so the difference is 4, which I understand. What if I have an action card that says that I can upgrade with a discount of 4? Would that entail a free upgrade?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WittyreaderLI wrote:
So for Discontent workers: I'm confused about when they become discontent. I know the second box requires 2 happiness. WHen you get to the third box, does the three happiness apply to when it is full or empty? When someone is discontent, you take a worker from your unused pool and put them on the happiness track to indicate you have an unhappy worker, correct?

The 'happiness demand' increases when the box is empty. If your happiness is less than the demand, you have to check for happiness in the beginning of your production phase. At this point, two things can happen:

- If you have at least one idle worker for each unfulfilled happiness demand (discontent worker), nothing bad happens.

- If you do NOT have at least one idle worker for each unfulfilled happiness demand, you do not produce at all.

The first is not so bad, the second is devastating. In order to remember to check, and to not inadvertedly use a worker that you needed to cover unfulfilled happiness demand, you usually move the worker to cover the happy face. This has no particular gameplay effect. The guy is still a free worker. It's just that if you give him something to do, you may be in trouble.

Quote:
What is the hand limit for civil cards in the game? i know it's in the rules but i wasn't able to find it in my flipping of it. How do you know when it changes? WHen do you discard (besides the obvious at the end of an age?)

The hand limit for civil cards is your total number of civil actions. You are not allowed to take a card from the card row if it would push you over the limit, so you should never need to discard.

Quote:
LEt's say I'm paying the production cost for something that is 5 ore, and I only have 1 ore that represents 6. Do I make "Change" for myself? And where do I put it?

You do not have 1 ore that represents 6, because the best technology is oil, where one token represents 5 resources. But if you have one of those, and need to build something that costs 4, you just move it from the 'oil' card (where it represents 5) to the 'bronze' card (where it represents 1). That way, you have paid four resources.

Quote:
Do you discard military cards for previous age at the end of the age as well?

If they are older than the just-ended age, yes.

Quote:
And let's say I have a card that costs 10 to uprade, and I have the previous technology which costs 6, so the difference is 4, which I understand. What if I have an action card that says that I can upgrade with a discount of 4? Would that entail a free upgrade?

It sounds like you, like most beginners, have a few misconceptions about technology and buildings. You need to distinguish between the two:

- A 'technology' means that you have the card on the table. Playing a technology costs (only) tech. Technologies are played in a cascading manner, so you can have Coal on top of Iron on top of Bronze (with the exception of blue and orange technologies). Upgrading from one technology to the next does not give you any discounts. A tech in itself gives no benefits (unless blue or orange)

- A 'building' is a yellow token placed on a card. These are the ones that give benefits (again, except for blue and orange). Each building gives the 'stuff' listed at the bottom of the cards. These are the ones you upgrade. If you have both the 'Iron' and the 'Coal' TECHNOLOGIES and one Iron BUILDING (called a mine), you can move the building to coal for the cost difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no mechanic for "discarding" cards you don't want. You have to wait until they become outdated and get rid of them. You can't voluntarily discard an unwanted card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schwartz
United States
Holbrook
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all. There is a LOT to this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WittyreaderLI wrote:
Thanks all. There is a LOT to this game!

You're welcome.

Yes there is.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dulkal wrote:

- A 'technology' means that you have the card on the table. Playing a technology costs (only) tech.

And a civil action, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.