Recommend
11 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG.CON

Subject: First-time BGG.CON attendee symptoms rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CW Lumm
United States
Hampden
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As a first-time attendee, I have found myself with a number of concerning symptoms.

-Obsessional thinking: Bookmarking the BGG.CON forums and ignoring other BGG threads so I can read updates like people's thirty-word posts listing all the BGG.CONs they've been to

-Extreme anxiety relating to what games I will be able to get in while there and being able to keep up skillwise. I'm expecting the crowd to be a little more skilled with some games than I'm used to. Will I be able to play Agricola, and will it even be worth the effort, since I'm bound to lose by 38 points after taking two begging cards and growing my family in round 12?

-Depression: I'm going to have to leave on Sunday. How will I cope?

-Social anxiety: I lurk a lot but read a lot of people's posts, so I feel like I know many likely attendees far, far better than they know me. There is going to be at least one awkward exchange where I run into an RSPer I've followed, and I'm going to be all, "Hey, I really liked your post about taxes in 2009 where DWTripp said x and you said..." and they'll be like "Huh? Who the hell are you?" and I'll end up having to deal with a restraining order or something.

-Irrational fears: I'm flying out of Newark on Wednesday morning. Now, I'm pretty sure I can make it there by 9am, but what if there aren't any buses from Grand Central at 5am that day for some reason? What if the subway breaks down and I'm stuck sitting there somewhere between 14th and 34th St. watching my cell phone clock tick down and I NEED TO CATCH THAT FUCKING PLANE?

Is this normal? Does this happen to everybody?
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wanna play Indonesia? I suck at that.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not quite matching these symptoms, but I am making a list of games I hope to play while there. Basically, if it says Stefan Feld on the box, I'm in.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kamchatka wrote:

-Extreme anxiety relating to what games I will be able to get in while there and being able to keep up skillwise. I'm expecting the crowd to be a little more skilled with some games than I'm used to. Will I be able to play Agricola, and will it even be worth the effort, since I'm bound to lose by 38 points after taking two begging cards and growing my family in round 12?


I actually look forward to this. Playing a higher caliber of skilled players at BGG make the games that much more enjoyable. Most fun I will have getting thrashed at games all year.

trenttsd wrote:

I'm not quite matching these symptoms, but I am making a list of games I hope to play while there. Basically, if it says Stefan Feld on the box, I'm in.


So far, I am familiar with Castles of Brugundy, Macao and Trajan and they are all in my Top 10. Notre Dame is a recent purchase and hitting the table soon. I will be more than happy to sit down to some Feld games with you Trent!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Be sure to come to the RSP meetup. You can sit in the corner and listen to all the interesting conversations.


Also come to the RSP lurker meetup, where we will stare at each other awkwardly, waiting for someone else to start an interesting conversation, and then sheepishly bring out the boardgames.
10 
 Thumb up
1.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
Be sure to come to the RSP meetup. You can sit in the corner and listen to all the interesting conversations.


Also come to the RSP lurker meetup, where we will stare at each other awkwardly, waiting for someone else to start an interesting conversation, and then sheepishly bring out the boardgames.


We could just skip the awkwardness and get straight to the games.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You want social awkwardness? How about the year we played Descent and a female player got turned into a monkey during the game. Two days later I see her in the hall and say "Are you feeling better since your monkey-fication?"

My son, walking with me, leans over and says "That's not who you thought it was."

Sure enough, that year there were two short Asian girls with glasses at the con.

shake
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CW Lumm
United States
Hampden
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
You want social awkwardness? How about the year we played Descent and a female player got turned into a monkey during the game. Two days later I see her in the hall and say "Are you feeling better since your monkey-fication?"

My son, walking with me, leans over and says "That's not who you thought it was."

Sure enough, that year there were two short Asian girls with glasses at the con.

shake


Wow.

That's the facepalm to end all facepalms, right there. I was about to say I'd have committed hara-kiri on the spot, but really, that would've just compounded the awkwardness.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CW Lumm
United States
Hampden
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Wanna play Indonesia? I suck at that.


Yes. If anyone else sucks at Indonesia, too, they're welcome to join!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kamchatka wrote:
-Social anxiety: I lurk a lot but read a lot of people's posts, so I feel like I know many likely attendees far, far better than they know me. There is going to be at least one awkward exchange where I run into an RSPer I've followed, and I'm going to be all, "Hey, I really liked your post about taxes in 2009 where DWTripp said x and you said..." and they'll be like "Huh? Who the hell are you?" and I'll end up having to deal with a restraining order or something.

The easiest way around this one is to wear someone else's nametag. Like, last year, I made one saying I was DWTripp, and as soon as people would read it and start to say, "Hey, I really--" I would punch them right in the face. It was pretty liberating.

kamchatka wrote:
What if the subway breaks down and I'm stuck sitting there somewhere between 14th and 34th St. watching my cell phone clock tick down and I NEED TO CATCH THAT FUCKING PLANE?

You should have plenty of time between now and then to get a police badge, or to make one out of cardboard & aluminum foil. I believe this would count as the sort of emergency where it's legal to stop someone and say, "I'm a police officer; I need your car."
12 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CW Lumm
United States
Hampden
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
trenttsd wrote:
I'm not quite matching these symptoms, but I am making a list of games I hope to play while there. Basically, if it says Stefan Feld on the box, I'm in.


Trent, I've never played Macao or Castles of Burgundy, and only played one game of Trajan, but I adored it. If you end up putting a game together, ahem, I'm just saying, you'd have at least one eager participant...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
kamchatka wrote:
-Social anxiety: I lurk a lot but read a lot of people's posts, so I feel like I know many likely attendees far, far better than they know me. There is going to be at least one awkward exchange where I run into an RSPer I've followed, and I'm going to be all, "Hey, I really liked your post about taxes in 2009 where DWTripp said x and you said..." and they'll be like "Huh? Who the hell are you?" and I'll end up having to deal with a restraining order or something.

The easiest way around this one is to wear someone else's nametag. Like, last year, I made one saying I was DWTripp, and as soon as people would read it and start to say, "Hey, I really--" I would punch them right in the face. It was pretty liberating.

kamchatka wrote:
What if the subway breaks down and I'm stuck sitting there somewhere between 14th and 34th St. watching my cell phone clock tick down and I NEED TO CATCH THAT FUCKING PLANE?

You should have plenty of time between now and then to get a police badge, or to make one out of cardboard & aluminum foil. I believe this would count as the sort of emergency where it's legal to stop someone and say, "I'm a police officer; I need your car."
See, I'd be worried, wearing a DWTripp namebadge, of walking up to everybody and getting punched in the face.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kamchatka wrote:
trenttsd wrote:
I'm not quite matching these symptoms, but I am making a list of games I hope to play while there. Basically, if it says Stefan Feld on the box, I'm in.


Trent, I've never played Macao or Castles of Burgundy, and only played one game of Trajan, but I adored it. If you end up putting a game together, ahem, I'm just saying, you'd have at least one eager participant...
Look for the Feldian support group that I'll be facilitating in the boiler room.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kamchatka wrote:

-Extreme anxiety relating to what games I will be able to get in while there and being able to keep up skillwise. I'm expecting the crowd to be a little more skilled with some games than I'm used to. Will I be able to play Agricola, and will it even be worth the effort, since I'm bound to lose by 38 points after taking two begging cards and growing my family in round 12?


Don't worry. I'm not really all that good at games. If we play 3 games together, you're bound to win at least 4 or 5 of them.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kamchatka wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
Wanna play Indonesia? I suck at that.


Yes. If anyone else sucks at Indonesia, too, they're welcome to join!
Woo! Let's have a whole "We Suck at Indonesia" event!

P.S. I also like Feld (and especially Trajan).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.