Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

I've been reading some ACW history recently which has re-awakened my interest in this game. I've got old copies of the 1st and 2nd editions from way-back-when, but the production quality of these is a bit way-back-when too - Euros have spoiled me!

Does anyone know what the differences are between the previous Phalanx version and the upcoming Mayfair version?

I have a few Phalanx games (Age of Napoleon, Revolution: The Dutch Revolt, The First World War, and Before the Wind), and the production quality is extremely good (their generic "one-size-fits-all, just not very well" box insert apart, which I can live with). Nicely finished cards, the best counters I have ever seen, lovely boards, all very smart.

They also support their games reasonably well - I was able to pick up a set of the AoN V2 cards at a very reasonable price when they came out, and I believe they offer sticker kits to correct the AHD board errors.

So I'm tempted to get a copy of the Phalanx V3 edition.

However, if I was to wait for the new Mayfair V4 edition, what would I get beyond what's in the Phalanx V3 edition? I understand there's a more recent set of rules, but I also believe they're available for download, and the posted Mayfair V4 box cover art is awful IMHO, so can anyone tell me what I would gain by waiting for the new edition?

Thanks,

Jim

Edited for typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious too, and I guess I'll find out when my preordered Mayfair edition arrives.

The Phalanx edition was the first I ever owned, and it's very nice (except for the unwieldy rules and the need to paste two stickers on the map to correct errors--and the fact that according to the online "living rules" there are a couple more errors on the map). However, the unit-counters are big, and the game takes up a bit of space, and I was curious--so I acquired copies of the first and second editions as well.

I haven't played either of those earlier editions; I bought them just to see what they looked like. I haven't looked closely yet, but I like the smaller unit-counters and space-saving maps.

I'm hoping the Mayfair edition will have a perfect mapboard and a clear, complete, unambiguous set of rules. If I can have those two things, I don't care if the box art and unit-counters are ugly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Moslander
United States
Fenton
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no experience with this game, but my review copy came in the mail today. I am hoping to take some pictures tonight and get them on the web. When I do I'll send you a link so you can see what comes in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I certainly love the feel of my Phalanx edition. I think the new Mayfair one looks absolutely terrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Moslander
United States
Fenton
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a link to some pictures of the new Mayfair Edition.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.414447335284228.98...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Moslander
United States
Fenton
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen the Phalanx Edition, but the Mayfair edition is not very good.

Windopaene wrote:
I certainly love the feel of my Phalanx edition. I think the new Mayfair one looks absolutely terrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
jmoslander wrote:

Doesn't look too bad to me. I don't like the box art, but the rest I can easily live with.

Anyhow, I'll have all four editions to choose from. So I can pick one to go with my mood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't seen this one, but Phalanx certainly makes some beautiful stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwoodall wrote:
Terrible

Even compared to this earlier edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Gelman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
The RallyBird Baseball board game
badge
The RallyBird Baseball board game
mbmbmbmbmb
jmoslander wrote:

Cool beans! Dig the counters with their different shapes that help functionality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the Mayfair have any state specific units? Looks like the Phalanx version does. I'm a total noob to the game, but like little touches like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmoslander wrote:

After looking at those pics, all I can say is that I'm glad I have my Phalanx edition!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Fletcher
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
I think the Mayfair edition uses the GDW (is that the right publisher for the first US edition?) map graphics--judging by the photo above, and the counter graphics from the Phalanx edition. I was skeptical from photos of the game I saw, but now that I have it I don't mind. Still the same great game--accessible and fast. I'm satisfied with the Mayfair edition, especially at $24 cost!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Togu Oppusunggu
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
>>>Here is a link to some pictures of the new Mayfair Edition....

For next time, I'd suggest taking some pictures with counters on the map. Often enough, a map standing alone might not look so nice but looks much better when counters are on the map as intended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.