Popular Tags: [View All]
Sai
Australia
Jerrabomberra
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a very basic question:

In the core rules it's mentioned that for most skills, the number of green pips rolled will scale the effect of the skill. However the character creation rules specify that only a single green skill pip can be put on each die. As only one die is used from the dice pool for each roll, how can a player get more than one green pip to use a skill?

The rules themselves are fairly simple, so I get the feeling I'm overlooking something incredibly obvious. Any insight would be much appriciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sai
Australia
Jerrabomberra
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I came across my answer. This post is for anyone else stumped by this:

I was thrown by the change in mechanics (I think because it wasn't explicitly called out as being different to the previous dice usage). Apparently skills differ attack/defence rolls in that you're supposed to count green pips from all of the dice rolled instead of just one.

answer found in this thread:
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/7727599#7727599

schattentanz wrote:

swgod98 wrote:
Another question: If there can only be 1 green pip per die, are you supposed to count all the green pips showing on all dice when calculating skills? This is unlike red/yellow/blue attack pips, which are only counted from the die with the highest amount showing on a single die.

This! Exactly!
To quote the "Skills" section:
"Each number in a skill's description, that is written as a number instead of a word AND that comes after a coloured pip, scales with the number of the green pips rolled"
(Just noticed, I have to change this. The spells scale with the number of blue pips, too)
Btw: Here are the approximated chances to roll that many (or more) green pips, calculated by http://topps.diku.dk/torbenm/troll.msp :
1 - 60%
2 - 20%
3 - 3.5%
4 - 0.3%
5 - 0.01%
So you've got a good chance to roll 1 green pip, getting a good bonus, and fair chance to roll 2 green pips, making the bonus stronger. 3 or more pips are rare occasions makeing the bonus rediculously strong, but that is the whole point of it: lucky hands get rewarded. (Minted dice users should get punished, btw!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm .. apparently I didn't put that well enough ..
Thought, the rampage example would explain it good enough, but obviously it does not ..

Thanks for the feedback and kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sai
Australia
Jerrabomberra
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for a great system Kai.

I re-read the rules after I read the other thread & realised the answer: It makes sense as written. I had trouble with it because I still had the combat rules going through my head and tried to make the skill rules fit that mechanic when I read them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.