Subject: I'm not blocking ads rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the infamous "sad meeple" accusing me of blocking ads. I'm not. I don't run Firefox (Opera 12) and I have no ad blocking software. Right now, typing this message, I'm looking at an ad for "Call of Thrones" in the same place that the accusatory meeple appeared. In another window, "Learn Android Development'.

What gives?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
I got the infamous "sad meeple" accusing me of blocking ads. I'm not. I don't run Firefox (Opera 12) and I have no ad blocking software. Right now, typing this message, I'm looking at an ad for "Call of Thrones" in the same place that the accusatory meeple appeared. In another window, "Learn Android Development'.

What gives?

Why care?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked this yesterday in another thread. It has something to do with how fast the page loads.

Re: Sad Meeple appeared even though I'm a patron!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It didn't appear and then disappear. It appeared and stayed. It's happening, apparently randomly. I have no idea why. It's certainly unsettling to be accused of doing something you're not doing.

EDIT: it appeared again as soon as I clicked 'submit'. I'm looking at it again now on the edit screen. I click to open the front page in a new window, and there's an ad for some game called Ugg-tect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eetu Vuokko
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
I has a monocle!
badge
Ah, a brand new monocle.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the sad meeple appearing on opera, and I hadn't blocked anything. So I made sad meeple my first block, ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Very Sad Meeple
msg tools
Sniff, sad meeple knows when sad meeple is not wanted... soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eetu Vuokko
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
I has a monocle!
badge
Ah, a brand new monocle.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sad meeple shouldn't get sad for no reason, bad meeple!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
sad meeple wrote:
That "Pedo-Bear" T-shirt 'ad' tended with "following Y-O-U around" too, so: "Watch yer *Bunghole*, man!" whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's because you block 3rd-party cookies. For Firefox, this setting is under Preferences > Privacy (not sure about Opera). I don't really recommend that you start accepting them, but that's why you see "sad meeple."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course third-party cookies are blocked! Who doesn't do this? surprise This is 2012. It's the default setting of Opera IIRC.

It still doesn't explain why the nag screen only appears sometimes. The rest of the time, normal ads are displayed in the same box. (the tall one on the side of the screen, not the other two).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sad meeple wrote:

Well I should think that would be wonderful news! Now Sad Meeple doesn't have to hang around and whine so much! Good for you, Sad Meeple! Bravo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Bugs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Well, which other FORUM doesn't "HAZ thaz"? yet? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: I'm not blocking *arteries* NOR*ads*
gulp 'moi' also "HAZ A BUQ" *secreted* somewheres upon MY personal 'person', so: GUESS WHAR "R" & WHAT this "B"? surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Redmon
United States
Middlesboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
We'll see.
badge
Bro, why you so mad?
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
gulp 'moi' also "HAZ A BUQ" *secreted* somewheres upon MY personal 'person', so: GUESS WHAR "R" & WHAT this "B"? surprise

At this point, you're just being obscene!

I got the impression that everyone was seeing Sad Meeple? He seems awfully shy, though. I ever only see him for a second or two at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I am running Firefox, but I wasn't running an ad-blocker and was seeing Sad Meeple. The ad accused me of using an ad-blocker, so I decided that I would install one to see what all the fuss was about!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Menzies
Australia
Katoomba
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think that Sad Meeple might be a tad counter productive given that many people are now going to turn ad-blocker on just to see him?

Also, is there an amount I can pay that will block all meeples?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, did someone fix the bug or did the nag screen get removed from the site? Because I haven't been accused of blocking ads for a few days now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.