Subject: Partisan-controlled capitals in scenarios rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jersey Guys
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
Hello. Field Marshall Roe, Private Schmedley and I are about to undertake a scenario game, and we were hoping to get some clarity on a rule concerning BRPs at YSS.
Under 10.345 the rule states ''BRPs are never subtracted for loss of a country or colony if the nation started the scenario with that country or colony in its control.''
But here's rule 32.7: ''If partisans control their country's capital and Axis counterattack fails, the BRPs are deducted from the controlling Axis nation provided it received them in the previous YSS (or in the 1942 and 1944 scenarios controlled the capital at the start of the scenario).
Note that the clause inside the parentheses appears to contradict rule 10.345, since it is saying that BRPs can be deducted for a country that was controlled at the beginning of the scenario.
Is the partisan rule an exception to rule 10.345?
In other words, if the Allies free Paris using a British unit it doesn't cost Germany any BRPs, but if it captures Paris with French partisans it does?
Or has this discrepancy been seen as a mistake?
Any advice, guidance would be greatly appreciated. We start the war tonight!
p.s. I have been compiling notes on our wars but simply haven't had time to gather them into readable form, but when I do I will share them online!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I believe the partisan penalty is an exception rather than a contradiction. So BRP's for a minor / colony cannot be lost due to conquest by another power, but can be lost due to partisans. In a sense it is more of a 'penalty' than an issue of conquest and resulting lack of control.

I've always felt that it is 'conceptually incorrect' for 'conquests' that obviously took place prior to the start of the scenario are handled differently, but it is clearly what is intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Bauer
United States
Reading
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Waste Water too
badge
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great find for the "list".

Rule 10.345 states: "BRP totals are always derived by adding conquests since the start of the scenario and allied minor country BRP totals to an existing BRP base. BRPs are never subtracted for loss of a country or colony if the nation started the scenario with that country or colony in its control—they are just added as per step 10.34." which I find very confusing as its last part contradicts 10.343.: "Never include a territory controlled by the nation at the beginning of the game/scenario, not even if lost and reconquered. EXCEPTIONS: Minor Allies (25.3). A major power that has been conquered during the scenario being played does, if later reconquered by its own side, yield BRPs to the controlling power."

Now Rule 32.7 clearly makes an exception to 10.343 in so much as it states in part: "(or in the 1942 and 1944 scenarios controlled the capital at the start of the scenario)." So it's pretty clear that say for the '42 scenario that French partisans taking and holding Paris results in the loss of 42 BRPs from the German tally.

FWIW I believe it works like this (staying with the '42 scenario):
1) Don't add BRPs of nations controlled at the start of the scenario, so in '43 YSS Germany does not add 42 BRPs for controlling Paris

2)Generally, do not subtract the loss of BRPS for such capitals. So if Germany loses Paris there is no need to worry.

3) Partisans are the exception, if a partisan takes an Axis controlled capital then the controlling Axis power is in jeopardy of losing the appropriate BRPs for failure to recapture.

4) This would not extend to partisans moving into their capital if it is Allied controlled. That is, if US forces take Paris and then a French partisan moves to Paris, Germany is not at jeopardy of losing BRPs. This is a bit of derived statement but Rule 32.6 implies that partisans can only control Axis controlled hexes.

Anyway this seems a reasonable way to proceed if you're playing a scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.