Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Hager
United States
Leesburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I notice a lot of people getting custom meeples for this game... little wizards with staffs or thieves or whatnot. . .and I have to say, that I am curious as to whether I'm the only one who really likes using the cubes. They fit OH so perfectly into the box and I like it because it makes me feel more LORDLY. I'm some big-wig in Waterdeep... sending out adventurers to do my dirty work... I don't care about what they look like! I'm a lord! They are just underlings making me money! I don't know. I guess I just wanted to put a counterpoint to the rising trend in custom meeples for this game. I like the cubes. They make me feel important and pompous. . . like a lord of Waterdeep. Anybody else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm an enthusiastic proponent of cubes. I'm still baffled as to why people had to spoil their Agricola experience with a pile of uncomfortable custom made pieces. Same with Lords of Waterdeep, the cubes are elegant and simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff King
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Up with cubes! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I prefer the cubes. Easy to handle, and thematic too. Like you said, you're a powerful Lord - these aren't people to you, they're just resources to be manipulated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I upgraded my set to the meeples and they fit perfectly in the same spots as the cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the customs guys fit the box perfecly too, so this is a moot point.

Question, would WotC have included the customs meeples if their cost was the same as the cubes? My guess is yes. What it boils down to is are you willing to spent $30 on top of the game's cost? This is the first game I have upgraded this way and I am glad I did. I didn't pay retail for my game, I now have it up to retail cost with the improvements. I like the game so much I have sleeved it with pricey FFG sleeves adding to the cost. So, no, I don't like the cubes, I am painting my old cubes gold and gluing some into groups/piles of five to replace the cardboard gold. These are easily stored in a zip bag under the easily removable insert, or just glue an open sided tuck box in under the insert to form a well to hold them.

We no longer say I need a purple, orange cube, it is I need a wizard and a warrior. Amazing the change via of swapping out the parts. Very enjoyable game, with or without them. If you enjoy playing the game the way it comes out of the box why change it, gee $30 goes a long way to another game purchase, or look at it this way you have a spare $30 bucks to spent on the rumored expansion. No sin there.

PS, should point out I purchased the unpainted ones to keep down cost, I had the paint on hand. If you don't, well worth the extra cost to get them stained from Relax aka Danny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the cubes and we don't refer to them by color. Even my mother calls them Fighters, Wizards, etc. I slip up more often than her. So while I would like to have the meeples, I don't think it's that important for $30. If I were made of money though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fine with the cubes but I can see the draw of the custom meeples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis S.
Greece
Thessaloniki
Macedonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cubes are ok and creativity is always welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Kane
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
They'll tell you black is really white The moon is just the sun at night
badge
And when you walk in golden halls You get to keep the gold that falls It's Heaven and Hell
mbmbmbmbmb
I also ordered the custom dndeeples, though I have yet to play with them. I have taught a lot of non-fantasty-oriented family and friends to play the game and so I usually just glaze over the part where the colors have D&D adventurer names. Therefore unless I'm making an extra effort I usually refer to them by color. I have no real problem with referring to the cubes by color or with using the cubes. But I am darn excited about the more thematic meeples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Bowers
United States
Strongsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Richard Harrow RIP
badge
Richard Harrow RIP
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the game, but the cubes ruined the theme of hiring adventurers to complete quests for you. I much prefer the custom pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori Gayle
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried these Dapper Devil plastic tokens with the class names printed on them:
dapperdevil.com/product/lords-waterdeep-class-tokens

I can't put my finger on it, but for me the round tokens just didn't mesh visually with the rest of the game parts. I have since gone back to using the original wooden cubes, too.

In fact, if anyone is interested in the Dapper Devil plastic tokens I'd be happy to send them on to a new home in the U.S. for the cost of postage.

Edited to add: These tokens have now been claimed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: In Appreciation of the cubes - level up variant using cubes and custom meeples?
Hmmm just a thought then, does this open up options for a level up variant? I agree basic blocks could represent unknown adventurers to a lord, but surely named adventurers, those who have completed quests of significance, might come to their attention and could stand out a little more?

A suggested variant then, for game setup use cubes. Whenever a quest is completed, the cubes don't go back to the supply like normal, instead they are put aside and the cubes are replaced by custom meeples - representing named adventurers. Named adventurers count for 2 normal adventurers. When replenishing buildings or as a result of a quest card etc. slots are filled first by named adventurers. People activating buildings can take one named adventurer instead of a normal adventurer... so basically they work like normal except they count for 2 when being redeemed.

I haven't tried this yet, and do wonder if it might make completing quests too easy, but at the same time its sort of a catch up mechanic for people falling behind.. if someone is completing lots of quests, it floods the market with heroes, which other lords can use to catch up.... although the heroes will be of the type the other lord is using, so might cause an accelerated run away leader problem....

anyway, just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
PraetorianXVIII wrote:
[...] I like the cubes. They make me feel important and pompous. . . like a lord of Waterdeep. Anybody else? [...]

Just remember that many of them (the Lords) are retired adventurers (cubes)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Zebel
Mexico
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
danamark wrote:
Well the customs guys fit the box perfecly too, so this is a moot point.

Question, would WotC have included the customs meeples if their cost was the same as the cubes? My guess is yes. What it boils down to is are you willing to spent $30 on top of the game's cost? This is the first game I have upgraded this way and I am glad I did. I didn't pay retail for my game, I now have it up to retail cost with the improvements. I like the game so much I have sleeved it with pricey FFG sleeves adding to the cost. So, no, I don't like the cubes, I am painting my old cubes gold and gluing some into groups/piles of five to replace the cardboard gold. These are easily stored in a zip bag under the easily removable insert, or just glue an open sided tuck box in under the insert to form a well to hold them.

We no longer say I need a purple, orange cube, it is I need a wizard and a warrior. Amazing the change via of swapping out the parts. Very enjoyable game, with or without them. If you enjoy playing the game the way it comes out of the box why change it, gee $30 goes a long way to another game purchase, or look at it this way you have a spare $30 bucks to spent on the rumored expansion. No sin there.

PS, should point out I purchased the unpainted ones to keep down cost, I had the paint on hand. If you don't, well worth the extra cost to get them stained from Relax aka Danny.

Hi Mark, where did you get your figures from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B. Hansen
Denmark
Odense N
flag msg tools
badge
"duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck" Ralph Wiggum .....
mbmbmbmbmb
Cubes also makes the whole cleavage/no cleavage a non-issue.

Pure win imo.

edit:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1028480/suitable-art-or-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Architeuthis wrote:
Cubes also makes the whole cleavage/no cleavage a non-issue.

Architeuthis wrote:

Ohhhhhh... LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PraetorianXVIII wrote:
I notice a lot of people getting custom meeples for this game... little wizards with staffs or thieves or whatnot. . .and I have to say, that I am curious as to whether I'm the only one who really likes using the cubes. They fit OH so perfectly into the box and I like it because it makes me feel more LORDLY. I'm some big-wig in Waterdeep... sending out adventurers to do my dirty work... I don't care about what they look like! I'm a lord! They are just underlings making me money! I don't know. I guess I just wanted to put a counterpoint to the rising trend in custom meeples for this game. I like the cubes. They make me feel important and pompous. . . like a lord of Waterdeep. Anybody else?

Nope.

I like the custom meeples for the game more than I like the game itself. At this point I'm hitting cube fatigue: they're energy, no wait they're goods, no wait they're buildings, no wait they're adventurers. The mechanics of LoW are fairly dry: go to a place, get cubes, get card, turn cubes in for points. But it has the potential to think that you're doing something else and the DnDeeples accomplish that. I haven't taken them out yet where people didn't like them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Down with cubes, long live DnDeeples!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The custom dndeeples are unanimously better than cubes in my game group. For us it's a no-brainer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Zebel
Mexico
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
Myoman wrote:
Down with cubes, long live DnDeeples!!!

I just checked the dndeeples and, yes, they rock!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lydia Demme
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the idea of turning the cubes into gold!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.