Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ivano Rosa
Italy
Ferentino
Frosinone
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've just read the rules very quickly... first questions arise.

1) Control of objectives. A side control an enemy objective if its units occupy the area at the end of a turn. And this is true even if there are both friendly and enemy units in that area. Right?

2)There are six seven "large bodies of water". Right?

3) For 1.4 all units placed by cards are taken from Unit Force Pool, the exception is for Hometown Support (5.0). Right?

4) 5.0 Only units placed with John Brant ("These two units may be moved after being placed"), Training and Mackinac Reinforcements (card text) may be moved after the placement. Units placed with Napoleon Defeated cannot move. Right? (PS I'm wondering why for John Brant isn't written directly into the card.. imo this is an errata).

5) 5.0 Turncoat "This card must be played before combat". Isn't wrong? All cards must be played at the start of the turn... this implies that there are cards that may be played after combat.

Thanks for replies!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question 1 says you read them VERY quickly, since friendly and enemy units will never be in the same area at the end of a turn. Battles last until all of one side's units are no longer there.

Try applying the rest of your questions to a slower read-thru and you will find the answers...plus learn answers you haven't posted yet.

The rules are very complete but not entirely clear in organization. The answers are there, so learn where and have more fun in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivano Rosa
Italy
Ferentino
Frosinone
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
Question 1 says you read them VERY quickly, since friendly and enemy units will never be in the same area at the end of a turn. Battles last until all of one side's units are no longer there.

Thanks... i've missed that row

kduke wrote:
The answers are there, so learn where and have more fun in the future.

I'm starting the read the other post... i've not seen an errata/FAQ.. but imo the "up two" instead "two" for the fishing boat in an important thing and should be the first item to added in it..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Wallace
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand what you mean.

But instead of wandering around the other posts, read the rules slowly and carefully.

The answers to game mechanics ARE there. Some are a little off from where you might have wanted it, but they are there, you just have to read and believe what they say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I am getting ready to reprint 1812. No real changes other than what you recommend for the rule book. Any advice would be appreciated.

This includes cleaning up the language to make it more understandable.
Thanks, Uwe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uwe, there's one thing I've found ambiguous - and perhaps this is due to my inexperience with war games. But some of the special cards have language like "Canadian objective area" (this is from memory). It was a little unclear to me (and has also been to some of the folks I've played with) whether this means an objective area within Canada vs. an objective area of the Canadian factions, i.e., on the U.S. side.

At any rate, it seems like a minor tweak in language would take care of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Deb,
Thanks, I will look at this. I will also post some of the 1775 cards which are done to show the difference. We have tried to clean up the language and any ambiguity of when cards can be played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivano Rosa
Italy
Ferentino
Frosinone
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BillW wrote:
I don't understand what you mean.

But instead of wandering around the other posts, read the rules slowly and carefully.

The answers to game mechanics ARE there. Some are a little off from where you might have wanted it, but they are there, you just have to read and believe what they say.

The rules says "Fishing Boats allow two armies, of up to 3
units each and from two different areas," and should be "from up to two..."

sorry i'm a dumbass and even if i'll read the rules for hundred times I will not understand that it is not a design choice...

again card A says X is allowed, card B not (ex, movement after placement)... i'm a dumbass again.. all cards should have the same effect even if one does not say so explicitly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivano Rosa
Italy
Ferentino
Frosinone
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
uweeickert wrote:
I am getting ready to reprint 1812. No real changes other than what you recommend for the rule book. Any advice would be appreciated.

This includes cleaning up the language to make it more understandable.
Thanks, Uwe

1) the "symmetry" on the cards. That is cards with the same "effect" must be identical. And ALL informations must be on the cards.

2) actually section 5 instead of clarify causes only confusion and must contain Examples not errata / additions that should be on the cards.

example

the effect on Hometown support should apply at all similar cards, not only on Hometown support... a dumbass like me read that HS has this clarification and other cards no imply that this rule apply only to HS (wrong, clarification from designer here on BGG).

Napoleon Defeated "Ex: These units can only be
placed if there are enough red
units in the British Regulars
Unit Force Pool."

what does it mean? if only one unit is available on the force pool, that one cannot be placed (there are enough red units.)

3) maybe a little rewrite of "movement" section adding a something like this:

• Place Enlistments (3.1) & Fled Units in Muster Areas (3.1.2)
• Play a Movement Card and up to Two Special Cards (3.2)
• Effects of the special cards (before or after movement), compositions of Armies, movement.

• Resolve Battles (3.3)
• Draw New Cards (3.4)

4) many little improvements
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ivano,
Thanks for the input. I have printed them out and will make these clarifications in the next edition.
Uwe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.