Subject: Influence rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lior Kiperman
Israel
Ramat Gan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Once a player has calculated their Influence total, he can spend his Influence points on whatever the site offers. See the Site Description card, or the corresponding City card for options."

After calculating my Influence total, and spending some of it during interaction with locals, can I add more influence later to that total?

For example, in a level 5 white city (3 shield tokens) while having the night negotiation skill (3 influence at night) and both Promise (2/4 influence) and Threaten (2/5 influence). I wanted to add more units to the unit offer before deciding which unit to buy.

If you are not allowed to add more influence after calculating the total, then I would play both Promise (4) and Threaten (5) for a total of 15 influence. Then, pay 4 influence to add two more elite units to the unit offer, and spend the 11 influence left on the best unit.

If you are allowed to add more influence after calculating the total, then I wouldn't use Promise and Threaten until I draw an elite unit that I want to recruit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caveat: I'm still in the early stages of learning this game, so I'm sure others with more experience will have more valuable answers. But...

I don't see why you couldn't play more cards mid-action. It's not like playing cards is delineated as a specific phase by the rules. The only limitation I see is that you can only play Influence cards during an Influence action. Seems logical, then, that you could play them at any time during that action. Especially since you can play other types of cards in multiple batches during their own respective phases (i.e., Move or Combat cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior Kiperman
Israel
Ramat Gan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And yet there is no sentence in the rules saying "Once a player has calculated their movement points total, he can spend his movement points..." or "Once a player has calculated their attack total, he can spend his attack points.."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HealingAura wrote:
After calculating my Influence total, and spending some of it during interaction with locals, can I add more influence later to that total?

Yes, you may absolutely do this.

DavidT wrote:
The only limitation I see is that you can only play Influence cards during an Influence action.

This is not quite correct. You may play special and/or healing cards during an interaction. For example, you may play Concentration to gain a red mana token (to power advanced Threaten) during your interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MikePustilnik wrote:
HealingAura wrote:

Yes, you may absolutely do this.

DavidT wrote:
The only limitation I see is that you can only play Influence cards during an Influence action.

This is not quite correct. You may play special and/or healing cards during an interaction. For example, you may play Concentration to gain a red mana token (to power advanced Threaten) during your interaction.

Yes, my wording was unclear, thanks. I meant that the Influence action is the only time you can play Influence cards. The way I wrote it could be interpreted the other way, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are allowed to do so, and can even do some sneaky stuff (e.g. recruiting Illusionists, then immediately using their influence). However, I believe with White city you still need to fill the unit offer like normal, by keeping the number of common and elite units even, rounding up to elite, like normal. And of course, you can't change any moves once new information is revealed, like retroactively powering up one of those influence cards with mana.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hoobajoo wrote:
However, I believe with White city you still need to fill the unit offer like normal, by keeping the number of common and elite units even, rounding up to elite, like normal.

"In the White city, you can recruit Units of all types. Also, you can pay 2 Influence points to add one Elite (gold) Unit card to the Unit offer." You only add gold units, and you can do this as many times as you like. You could have a dozen units in the offer if you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
hoobajoo wrote:
However, I believe with White city you still need to fill the unit offer like normal, by keeping the number of common and elite units even, rounding up to elite, like normal.

"In the White city, you can recruit Units of all types. Also, you can pay 2 Influence points to add one Elite (gold) Unit card to the Unit offer." You only add gold units, and you can do this as many times as you like. You could have a dozen units in the offer if you want.

Woah, guess I've been playing with a handicap this whole time. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.