Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Andersen
United States
Athens
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
Do the miniatures come out of the box pre-painted and if so can you tell the difference between the sides by the way they are painted or do you have to do extra painting work in order to differentiate them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what the ships look like out of the box:

The French ships are to the left and the British are on the right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen the models in an opened set. They look really nice. It's not too difficult to tell the difference between the British and French ships on close inspection. There is a decal sheet which has different heraldric-type shields that can be applied to the ships. I think if you really wanted to distinguish between models within a particular class, you can probably add or paint some small, colored piece of detail.

It's a purdy-lookin game, for sure. I'm very tempted to buy a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm planning on a simple color stripe/band around a smoke stack to show different ships in the same class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
This is what the ships look like out of the box:

The French ships are to the left and the British are on the right.

BUT...aren't the french and british "add-ons"? i don't believe they come with the base game; i obv could be wrong but i thought they were going to be like expansion packs and are not even avail yet...if they are avail, can you tell me where you found them? thanks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game has British and French ships. The fleet sets have the same ships with different ship cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
The base game has British and French ships. The fleet sets have the same ships with different ship cards.
ok...thanks for the update/correction...(i'd assumed that since the fleet additions were british and french that the base game came with 2 diff nations)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Robinson
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering about the importance of having the fleet sets, thanks Todd for answering my question due to my lazyness in not perusing the net yet I may not be able to get the base game past my wife due to it's cost let alone deciding on more ships!

Of course the miniatures are painted.... Battleship Grey

hehe sorry.

Diff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Haward
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There was much debate on this, both internally and on the forums at www.monstersinthesky.com about prepainted or not. It came down to prepainted, because we wanted something that people can just unpack & play right out of the box and feel excited about the minis, without having to paint them.

On the other hand, we did make sure the pre-painting was a light coat - if you like painting, they're easy to bring up beautifully. Check the picture gallery, recent pictures - some repaints by Nightmoss that really show what you can do with them. And others have tried dazzle camo too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
worktroll wrote:
There was much debate on this, both internally and on the forums at www.monstersinthesky.com about prepainted or not. It came down to prepainted, because we wanted something that people can just unpack & play right out of the box and feel excited about the minis, without having to paint them.

On the other hand, we did make sure the pre-painting was a light coat - if you like painting, they're easy to bring up beautifully. Check the picture gallery, recent pictures - some repaints by Nightmoss that really show what you can do with them. And others have tried dazzle camo too

awesome, this makes me want the game now. I would have passed with out the painted minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yeolde modelshoppe
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
May I ask what the thinking was on not showing the miniatures on the box art, or even mentioning on the box that the miniatures inside come painted?

I ordered it online, so I didn't see the box when shopping for it, but looking at it with that in mind, it seems odd. I feel that the quality of the ships is a big selling point for the game, and one that is inexplicably absent on the box.

I remember reading about the issues with getting the different components products, was this an issue of the boxes being printed before the decision on painted vs non painted was made?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
There were tremendous setbacks in production to the point where a lot of people remember playing Leviathans even 2 years ago at cons. They had box art well before any of us saw any footage of playing components and that could be a big reason.

There are currently plenty of pictures on their website and here however as "advertisements" for the ships and I guess the current box art sells the game just fine (in fact, I'd say I don't see components on most of board game boxes anyway.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yeolde modelshoppe
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
What board game with a model focus can you think of that doesn't put pictures on the box? I just checked every one on my shelf and didn't find any that didn't have pictures of the models inside on the box.

I get the idea that the production issues might have resulted in the boxes being printed before models where available for photography, maybe that was it. I would hope that future boxes correct this, as these models are too nice not to show off to prospective buyers.

The game is selling well because a lot of people have heard of it and were already interested. If you take a look at the box itself without any other information, as a customer in a game store might, you wouldn't know that the ships look nice, are quite large, and are ready to go right out of the box. I know I wouldn't have put down that much money for the game without knowing how the ships look.

On that point, I had looked at all the pictures of the ships on this site before I purchased my copy, and I was still quite surprised when I opened the box at how much larger the ships were than I expected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Haward
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to say that having pictures of the models on the box cover never really entered our minds. More than just the minis, the game is a universe, and the box art (by the great, late Doug Chaffee) has that immediacy and sense of immersion we wanted.

Now that you mention it, though, I've never really gone and looked at the bottom cover! I have no idea what's on there any more.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeoldemodelshoppe wrote:
What board game with a model focus can you think of that doesn't put pictures on the box? I just checked every one on my shelf and didn't find any that didn't have pictures of the models inside on the box.

If we are talking the box top/front:

Zombicide
Dreadfleet
Space Hulk
Last Night on Earth

Since the front is what is displayed on web stores and on real store shelves, it would seem that the art is what grabs people. On the web, there are generally enough other pictures to include pictures of components. I would assume that folks who worry about it tend to do the web search/research before purchasing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yeolde modelshoppe
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
No, I'm talking about the back and sides, pictures on the box, not on the cover. The part of the box you look at after the cover catches your eye when you want more info before you buy. Sure, you can get pictures online, but I've been in game stores a *lot*, and many of the games are purchased based on the information on the box alone.

I can fully understand having art on the cover, that does a great job of grabbing your attention and making you take a closer look. I just think that the models are more than nice enough to show off, they should be a selling point, not a nice surprise after you purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Haward
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A fair point - probably too late to get any change on the second printing, but certainly worth keeping in mind for the future German/Italian box, and other reinforcements currently planned.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Fleck
United States
Forks
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
worktroll wrote:
A fair point - probably too late to get any change on the second printing, but certainly worth keeping in mind for the future German/Italian box, and other reinforcements currently planned.

Cheers!

When is that German Italy box coming out?? Just ordered this and can't wait to get the basic game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.