Subject: New player -few combat questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb

First, love the game!

However we have some confusion on combat with multiple monsters and/or investigators in the same space.

If there is an investigator with two (or more) monsters in the same space and the investigator fights and destroys monster one - What happens with monster two? Does monster two deal damage this phase or does it just stay there ignoring the investigator until next turn until combat starts fresh?

2nd question.
If there are two or more investigators in a space with multiple monsters does each investigator simply choose a monster to fight and the rest are ignored? Do the ignored monsters deal damage this phase or are they just considered not engaged?

3rd
If there are multiple monsters in the same space as the investigator and he tries to evade but fails (and receives damage) do the other monsters deal damage? Or are they also ignored until another evasion attempt is made?

Lastly, if there are multiple creatures in a space does fighting/evasion attempts complete in the current phase or is it one phase per fight? (IE...Three monsters in a space and I fail to evade or kill it so I take damage. Do I wait until next turn to try again or can I continue until success or failure?)

Thanks so much and hope the questions make sense

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wise ol Gnome wrote:

First, love the game!

However we have some confusion on combat with multiple monsters and/or investigators in the same space.

If there is an investigator with two (or more) monsters in the same space and the investigator fights and destroys monster one - What happens with monster two? Does monster two deal damage this phase or does it just stay there ignoring the investigator until next turn until combat starts fresh?

2nd question.
If there are two or more investigators in a space with multiple monsters does each investigator simply choose a monster to fight and the rest are ignored? Do the ignored monsters deal damage this phase or are they just considered not engaged?

3rd
If there are multiple monsters in the same space as the investigator and he tries to evade but fails (and receives damage) do the other monsters deal damage? Or are they also ignored until another evasion attempt is made?

Lastly, if there are multiple creatures in a space does fighting/evasion attempts complete in the current phase or is it one phase per fight? (IE...Three monsters in a space and I fail to evade or kill it so I take damage. Do I wait until next turn to try again or can I continue until success or failure?)

Thanks so much and hope the questions make sense

I was going to answer these one by one but it's all the same answer. Monster's are encountered on an investigator's movement phase. Each investigator in a space, as their turn to move arrives, must face every monster in the space, one at a time, in the order the investigator chooses. Each monster is resolved completely before the next is dealt with. The encounters are always individual, between one investigator and one monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Changed my mind; this might be clearer.

Wise ol Gnome wrote:

After evading of defeating monster one the investigator must immediately engage (evade or defeat) monster two. The investigator chooses the order.

Wise ol Gnome wrote:
2nd question.

As each investigator's turn to resolve movement arrives, they resolve according to the scenario above.

Wise ol Gnome wrote:
3rd

They are ignored until the first monster is resolved. Each engagement is one-on-one and always starts with the investigator's choice of evade or fight.

Wise ol Gnome wrote:

You deal with all of the monsters in the space during your movement phase. If you chose to evade each one, and were successful, you could now move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Lj
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just to expand on Rianane's answer:
Turn order is very important and can be used to your advantage (or screw you sometimes in these cases). Say P1 isn't a fighter, and P2 is. P1 finds themself in a spot with 2 monsters, but it's P2s turn to go first. They can run to the monsters, and since it's still their movement phase, deal with each monster before P1s turn.

Each fight is independent of each other, so you fully resolve 1 fight (horror + combat) till the monster or you is dead, then move on to the next fight (horror + combat). You choose which monster engages first, and always the current players turn. The other player just sits and watches. If you kill 1 monster, but are killed by the other (thus moved to the hospital), that monster is left there for the next player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb

Thank you so much, Dan.

It clears up all of the questions perfectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
Oogarasu wrote:
Just to expand on Rianane's answer:
Turn order is very important and can be used to your advantage (or screw you sometimes in these cases). Say P1 isn't a fighter, and P2 is. P1 finds themself in a spot with 2 monsters, but it's P2s turn to go first. They can run to the monsters, and since it's still their movement phase, deal with each monster before P1s turn.

Each fight is independent of each other, so you fully resolve 1 fight (horror + combat) till the monster or you is dead, then move on to the next fight (horror + combat). You choose which monster engages first, and always the current players turn. The other player just sits and watches. If you kill 1 monster, but are killed by the other (thus moved to the hospital), that monster is left there for the next player.

TY for the tip!

I think our confusion was we kept looking for ways to team up to kill monsters. We just have to get used to the "one at a time" concept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.