B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I introduced this game to three folks at my bi-weekly Friday group (dubbed Area 42). I had 2 sets from GenCon which allowed all four of us to be playing, and after the first introductory game to get folks familiar with the terms and play of the game, that's what we did.

I made a resolution early that when I'm teaching this game, I'm using the faction+neutral decks that come out of the box 'as is'. No deck building at all.

Why?

Because the OOB factions offer a consistent world view for the new player and I can open up the box, form a deck in mere seconds and start playing. My goal is to teach the game to people, not to teach advanced deck building. If the OOB factions don't whet the appetite, then deck building won't be their thing either. Once the basic mechanics of the game and the heuristics start happening then people will learn the built-in strengths and weaknesses of the various factions and will know what they want to bring in from other factions to work in combo or plug holes. Once people have their own boxes for this game, then I'll start deckbuilding. For now, folks are using my kits and we're resetting each box at the end of play to make startup easy.

We began with the Shaper and Jinteki factions, as recommended in the manual. I went through every Shaper card's basic function with the new players and then asked if the wanted to see Jinteki's arsenal or be surprised. They wanted to start, so I just said "Jinteki does a lot of net damage in various places, so be aware of that" and we were off.

After a good game (resulting in a surprising Flatline due to a well placed Neural EMP after a particularly bad Chum/Snare double-punch), I broke out and sleeved the second set while the two players who didn't get a chance on the first game took up the same decks (Shaper/Jinteki). About 30 cards into the sleeving process I hear "Well, I guess you just won, lets try that again."

What happened there? Jinteki dropped ice on HQ and R&D and something else (probably drawing a credit).

Shaper then played 3 cards (Sure Gamble and two other cards) and on their 4th action ran HQ.

ICE: Trap -- 1 Net Damage.
HQ: Hit the Snare, 3 Net Damage.
---'\,---'\,---'\,------------------------- (Flatline)

Short game that one.

I wasn't too tuned into the next game they played (again Shaper/Jinteki I believe) as I and the other gentleman did Criminal (him) versus NBN (me). I'd let him pick the factions we both would play based on the descriptions towards the end of the rulebook. It's all new to me and I need to learn the actual play of these cards just like everyone else.

Things started off well for me as NBN... After an early bank job and easy mark, Gabriel starting looking like Scrooge McDuck. He took a tag from Data Raven in order to steal a Priority Requisition and I immediately closed his accounts, bankrupting both of us in the process.

The slow build of capital was painful after that, but Gabriel got the upper hand, first by sacrificing the stolen Agenda via a Data Dealer, then with a job from Armitage, a Bank Job and odd payments from his Desperado network every time he ran. Meanwhile, I managed to get a protected Melange Mining and unprotected PAD campaign online and pulled down 14 credits across two turns until he put a stop to that with Femme Fatale maneuvering past the only ice protecting the moon mining operation and the PAD campaign falling to Gabriel's superior finances.

In mid game Gabriel stormed into a Ghost Branch with 2 advancement counters on his second to last action. He ditched one tag but didn't have the actions to ditch the others. I had only 2 credits left after rezzing the ice tower and I had an unenviable choice. Burn Armitage Codebusting (with 10 credits still on it) or Burn his Crash Space. I picked Armitage to burn and he ditched the tag on his next turn.

Then R&D got froggy and fed me four Agenda in a row with absolutely no ice to protect them. That was the beginning of the end, and without a bluff like Ghost Branch to put into the big protected server, it was only a matter of time before Gabriel made off with the goods. Final score: 7-4.

I'm pretty sure everyone had a good evening and play definitely sped up as we moved through the evening. Everyone was excited to try the other factions (Noise, Weyland and HB did not see play at all).

My next play will probably be at 'Tad and Craig's Excellent Party' (www.barkingmad.org) over Labor Day weekend where I'll have a demo on the schedule and will be bringing this out through the weekend in open gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
If the OOB factions don't whet the appetite, then deck building won't be their thing either.

TRUTH. And thank you for the reminder -- I'll use that in our teaching games as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Opie wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
If the OOB factions don't whet the appetite, then deck building won't be their thing either.

TRUTH. And thank you for the reminder -- I'll use that in our teaching games as well.

FFG did a really good job making an excellent OOB experience.

Plus, with these two boxes being the only ones in my group currently, I don't feel the need to deck build yet -- people need to learn the game and like it.

I figure I have time to get people up to speed before someone else with a box suggests we go head to head on a deck build. I'll be thinking about it before then, but won't do much more than prep deck lists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Vee
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good session report. I enjoyed reading this - it appears that the card names really offer up some sort of narrative sense on top of the game mechanics. I like that.

I'm also glad to know the faction decks work ok out of the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a follow up in the Criminal/NBN matchup...

At one point the Criminal player got a "Special Order" and used it, looking for a code gate breaker. He got through the deck and asked me "Um, no codebreakers?" I pointed to Crypsis and said "yeah, that's one of Gabriel's weaknesses, he relies on Crypsis to solve the puzzles". Deck knowledge might have prevented him digging, but it's an early game (and he won anyway, so no terrible loss there).

He ended up picking an Aurora out as a consolation prize, and now he knows... Gabriel doesn't have a Code Gate Breaker. If he wants one in constructed play, he'll have to pull one in from Kate or Noise.

Lessons like this help you learn deck construction. If you choose to run without a breaker type, you need Crypsis (or Wyrm {shudder}) or other ways around the problem. And he found the other ways. He had a few timely inside jobs and a very unfortunate Forged Activation Order that took out my tollbooth (that really hurt).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

ICE: Trap -- 1 Net Damage.
HQ: Hit the Snare, 3 Net Damage.
---'\,---'\,---'\,------------------------- (Flatline)

I just wanted to prove you can play the game as a 2 minute filler whistle

byronczimmer wrote:

I wasn't too tuned into the next game they played (again Shaper/Jinteki I believe)

Yep, we just reset and began again playing the same decks. It was a fun game, though a bit off balance due to me getting two "Maker's Eye" runs on an unprotected R&D within the first turns and scoring 6 points. The game actually went on for a good while after that however without me being able to clinch that final point. The early lead did give me a big advantage though, as I had the luxury of playing a couple of his advanced cards much more conservatively than I would have otherwise done, which proved to be a lucky break as both turned out to be "Project Junebugs"...

Tim's (The Corp's) ultimate downfall was just miscounting the rez costs for his server guarded by a "Cell Portal" and "Wall of Thorns". I managed to sneak in twice when he was low on credits; once to trash a melange mining corp and the second time to score the winning agenda. The difficult thing is that "Cell Portal" does absolutely nothing by itself, so unless he could pay to rez the wall, I was home free.

The other interesting thing about the game was that the only ICE-breakers I ever got out were Crypsis and Battering RAM. My decoder and killer were trashed out of hand by damage on the first couple of turns, and I never drew into the other copies.

Had a blast, big thanks for bringing the game and letting us play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
argus88 wrote:
Had a blast, big thanks for bringing the game and letting
us play

I was still kind of chuckling when you asked "are you sure you want to open your second box?"

YES... I want people to play this game and want to play it more!

Looks like mission success so far.

Remember, Joe give 25% off if you're a member. Given that membership more than handles the cover charge for the evening -- it's kind of a no brainer to me. I'd love him to have to order 6-8 of each expansion every time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report! You're a very clean writer.

On a related note, I still wonder if Gabriel's lack of a code breaker was an oversight. It doesn't make any thematic sense that the Criminal's would be the least equipped faction when it comes to icebreakers. Then again, maybe the code gates in the core wouldn't stand up to a criminal version.

Either way, I enjoyed the read.

p.s. What kind of sleeves did you score?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:

On a related note, I still wonder if Gabriel's lack of a code breaker was an oversight. It doesn't make any thematic sense that the Criminal's would be the least equipped faction when it comes to icebreakers. Then again, maybe the code gates in the core wouldn't stand up to a criminal version.

It is specifically mentioned in the rulebook that the Criminals do not have any such icebreaker types. So, I'm pretty sure the designers know about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:

FFG standard greys, 1 box (of 10) and 1 extra. I have like 46/47 left over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What was the success rate for correctly fitting sleeves, just for the uninitiated who don't know about FFG sleeves?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak for BT's success, but I literally finished sleeving mine not 5 minutes ago. Used 5 packs of FFG greys, which is enough for everything if you don't sleeve the action summaries.

Out of 250 sleeves, all fit, and none broke. 100% success rate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kingjames01 wrote:

It is specifically mentioned in the rulebook that the Criminals do not have any such icebreaker types. So, I'm pretty sure the designers know about it.

Of course FFG knew about it, the game was playtested if nothing else. The question is, did they realize it before they locked the cards down, and there is no way to know.

In game development, oversights become product features all the time, especially in video game development where milestones can lock down the details of development.

Anyhoo, I was speculating on a long shot, you're probably right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingjames01 wrote:
What was the success rate for correctly fitting sleeves, just for the uninitiated who don't know about FFG sleeves?

I thought I answered this but must have closed browser before submitting.

2 Core sets, I sleeved everything. Very consistent sleeves, easy to install and 100% success rate with no bending, warping or breakage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have sleeved 5 of my boardgames so far and I can report a 100% success rate using FFG's Regular-Sized sleeves.

So, out of just under 500 sleeves, not a single one of them have split, been too small or too large.

Once I get my copy of A:NR, I know what I will be using to sleeve the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Search function is apparently not broken:

Card Sizes known?
Sleeve Size
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Froehlich
msg tools
Hi all, I was one of the newbies that Brian taught. Just wanted to thank Brian again and Noah for the good games. I've already purchased my copy and I can't wait to play it again on Friday. I'll be staying away from deckbuilding for a while, I've got a bunch of friends interested in learning the game and I want them to be able to try different factions without breaking my deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.