Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe C Faust
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm now engrossed in reading Antony Beevor's "Second World War" and it's given me an itch to play a strategic game incorporating both Europe and Pacific at a level that is manageable, say, on a single table top, that would be solo friendly. I've been poking around haphazardly looking, but have come up with games like GMT's A World At War (I like all the "what-ifs", but it's too large). The Axis and Allies Pacific and Europe 1940 combo looked about the right size footprint wise, but I've never been a fan of that system.

Any suggestions for what to look for?

PS: Before any one else gets there: Case Blue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Europe Engulfed and Asia Engulfed. Both excellent games, and fairly solitaire-friendly. (More than you'd think for a block game!) Detailed enough to be fairly good sims, without being a ton of rules overhead.

Even though AE is the second game in the system I think it actually handles the war better than EE does. The naval combat system is terrific, and makes excellent use of those blocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about World in Flames?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I second the Engulfed series and add:

Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg! and Axis Empires: Dai Senso!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Carroll
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to check out Top 10 Strategic WWII Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of tying them together, I'd suggest finding a good one on each and playing them.

Somebody already mentioned Asia Engulfed and Europe engulfed. Highly recommended!

If you prefer card driven games, I'd suggest World War II: Barbarossa to Berlin and Empire of the Sun.

And if you insist on one game for all, there's always Axis & Allies, but that one really wasn't my thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

With respect to the Europe Engulfed (EE) plus Asia Engulfed (AE) combo, be advised that EE will very shortly come out as a retuned 2nd edition. Rick Young, the designer has stated explicitly that AE will not be reworked nor even reprinted. So, EE2 will no longer combine with AE. If you have settled on this combo, perhaps it is wise to grab EE1 and AE as soon as possible.

Axis & Allies Europe 1940 2nd edition and Axis & Allies Pacific 1940 2nd edition are due out in a couple of weeks (18-Sep-2012). I think the combined game will be an epic beer & pretzels WWII treatment.

The next step up in terms of historicity would be the EE + AE combo.

Then there is sort of a gap in terms of complexity; a system that is meatier than EE+AE but still doesn't become a lifestyle game.

I think the big three contenders for that epic 10,000 counter WWII treatment are:

(1) World in Flames
(2) A World at War
(3) Advanced European Theater of Operations + Advanced Pacific Theater of Operations

I think number (3) arguably edges out the other two as the uber-treatment.

Having said that, the Australian Design Group (ADG) has come out with Blitz! A World in Conflict, which is World in Flames lite. Similarly, there is Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg! + Axis Empires: Dai Senso!.

I'd like to see that game between the Engulfed combo and the 10,000 counter consim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Nemo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boddekker wrote:
So I'm now engrossed in reading Antony Beevor's "Second World War" and it's given me an itch to play a strategic game incorporating both Europe and Pacific at a level that is manageable, say, on a single table top, that would be solo friendly. I've been poking around haphazardly looking, but have come up with games like GMT's A World At War (I like all the "what-ifs", but it's too large). The Axis and Allies Pacific and Europe 1940 combo looked about the right size footprint wise, but I've never been a fan of that system.

An excellent question to which I have yet to find an answer but I am hopeful that Blitz! A World in Conflict may be the answer. Interested to read of suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
With respect to the Europe Engulfed (EE) plus Asia Engulfed (AE) combo, be advised that EE will very shortly come out as a retuned 2nd edition. Rick Young, the designer has stated explicitly that AE will not be reworked nor even reprinted. So, EE2 will no longer combine with AE. If you have settled on this combo, perhaps it is wise to grab EE1 and AE as soon as possible.

Your kidding me. When I first started reading the above, I thought great they are redesigning EE so it will mesh better with AE, but apparently it will be exactly the opposite. Looks like I'll be skipping EE2 unless of course they are planning a future Pacific game to go with it. I'm still a fan of the Third Reich system and its latest incarnation, aWaW although I don't care all that much about the research system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boddekker wrote:

Any suggestions for what to look for?

PS: Before any one else gets there: Case Blue

Here is a thread that I started on the very same topic in January:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/755330/wanting-to-game-w...
Some pretty good suggestions in there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glenn
United States
Wheaton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Second World War doesn't have many reviews, but it looks like it could be a winner. I am probably going to pick up a copy at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on what you're interests are in WWII, this upcoming title may work:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/125977/cataclysm-a-second...

May not thrill on the solo aspect though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dougherty
United States
Maplewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't recommend one title over another per se, but I've been working on an AAR of Totaler Krieg if you wanted to see how it plays a bit/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are any of these playable in one sitting, say 6 hours or so?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mwindsor wrote:
Are any of these playable in one sitting, say 6 hours or so?

No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D T P
United States
Pikeville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you might be able to punch the counters and set one of the games up in 6 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C Faust
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone for their input! I've looked these over and found that WIF Blitz! seems to have the most of what I was looking for - other than being readily available. That's a good thing, though, because I'm wrapping up trimming counters for GMT's three Panzer releases, and that's going to be the next thing onto the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.