Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played D2 a few times. My friend and I started a campaign a few days ago and we're about halfway through. Although I've never played AH, the only reason is because of the finicky rules and the long play time. I was wondering how people would compare mansions of madness to descent, as i'd be looking to buy one.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Hogan
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Completely unrelated gameplay between the two; hell between the three...AH and MoM have only character and mythos in common, absolutley nothing in the mechanics of gameplay are similar. Both AH and MoM are great games (IMO) - I own both, with several expansions each, as well as a near-complete Descent 1E collection (which I will be completing, as well as getting 2E).

If you like D2 and don't have reliable access to it with someone else in your gaming group, get yourself a copy of D2.

If you have dependable access to D2 and want to try something new, both AH and MoM are great. If you wants something you can also play solo, AH is the way to go.

My $0.02

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I meant just the similar feel of exploration, and Overlord type character versus heroes -

But Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Hogan
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, gotcha.

As far as exploration, MoM is the winner, hands down.

For adversarial gameplay...that's a little trickier. To me, the Overlord role in Descent is purely aggressive and very...mechanical?...while the Keeper role in MoM is more thematic, and a good Keeper should not be purely antagonistic but work within a story. Each scratches a different itch but the Keeper role in MoM ekes out a win over the Overlord role in Descent, IMO. Keep in mind that I have *not* played 2e, so I don't know how that part of play has changed but I imagine it's not incredibly different than in 1e.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see, so more of like a GM aspect for the Keeper then?

Mansions of Madness looks so interesting, but I really do enjoy D2 so far, so I think I might go with that, I was just hoping a few people would chime in and help me make a decision :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Hogan
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doh! Here's what I should've done in the first place for you!

Go here, and watch Rodney Smith's (WatchItPlayed)series on Mansions of Madness:
http://www.youtube.com/user/WatchItPlayed?feature=g-user-u

and you will know *exactly* in what ways it's similar or different than D:JitD2e, and you should know without a doubt whether or not it's the game you should pick up next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dochogan wrote:
Doh! Here's what I should've done in the first place for you!

Go here, and watch Rodney Smith's (WatchItPlayed)series on Mansions of Madness:
http://www.youtube.com/user/WatchItPlayed?feature=g-user-u

and you will know *exactly* in what ways it's similar or different than D:JitD2e, and you should know without a doubt whether or not it's the game you should pick up next.

Yeah thats what I wanted to suggest you first.
Watch the playthrough from Rodney, and you know what you would get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
If long play time is an issue, I'm not sure MoM is what you want either. For an equal number of first time players, Arkham Horror (unexpanded) and MoM probably have about the same play time (counting setup, which is long for both, but particularly so for MoM, especially the first time).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been amassing quite the collection lately, and Mansions of Madness is right at the top of my list of favorites. The theme is amazing, it's being well supported by FFG with expansions, and it has amazing components. If you are at all into the mythos, get MoM. It scratches the Descent-style itch for me, and if I want a bit more old-school fantasy, try Dungeoneer (extremely inexpensive by comparison).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.