Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lloyd Crosby
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once both gladiators and their equipment have been committed to the arena and bets have been made there is an influence card ("reaction type") called something like "Match fixing" that requires one of the two Dominus involved to replace their chosen gladiator with a different gladiator.

My question is can the new gladiator use equipment that was sent with the fist gladiator?

Are you considered to have purchased access to shields, axes, nets, armour, etc.. so all of your gladiators can have the equipment when you buy the card or do you have only one of each and it can't be requiped when the "Match fixing" scheme is played?

We played it as if the equipment was with the first gladiator and the replacement gladiator could not benefit from the equipment. This ruling changed the odds drastically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Moberg
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 18 of the rulebook under Equipment Abilities states:

"Equipment cards represent money and training invested by the houses to prepare their gladiators for the arena rather than representing a single sword or helmet."

I would allow the equipment to be moved to the new gladiator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Preder
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChaosChild wrote:
Page 18 of the rulebook under Equipment Abilities states:

"Equipment cards represent money and training invested by the houses to prepare their gladiators for the arena rather than representing a single sword or helmet."

I would allow the equipment to be moved to the new gladiator.

This is one of the more fun cards in this game, and that specific wording from the rulebook tends to make me agree that this is the correct interpretation.

Got to play a full game of Spartacus this weekend and I am totally loving this game. It's some great Ameritrash with a hugh dose of treachery thrown in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gale Force Nine LLC
United States
Earlysville
Virginia
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the Equipment Cards would transfer over to the new Gladiator.

New Equipment Cards cannot be substituted once they are committed to the combat. The Reaction card ONLY affects the Gladiator not his "training". It’s also worth pointing out that only Gladiators may be targeted, Slaves are not affected by this Reaction. If the invited Dominus does not have any other ready Gladiators in his ludus, this card has no effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diogo Correia
msg tools
what happen with the equipment after the gladiator is dead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin N
Canada
Victoria
British columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xstrike wrote:
what happen with the equipment after the gladiator is dead?

Equipment cards belong to the Dominus, not the gladiator. they represent training that the ludus can offer to their gladiators...

just because a gladiator dies, doesn't mean their Doctore cannot teach a new recruit to wield a gladius.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diogo Correia
msg tools
I agree... but the rules does not say that it returns or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin N
Canada
Victoria
British columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xstrike wrote:

I'd be willing to put GG on it being in the rule book somewhere... i'm at work so i can't go find it... my wife likes to stalk me on here, so maybe she'll pop in and comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kantas wrote:
xstrike wrote:

I'd be willing to put GG on it being in the rule book somewhere... i'm at work so i can't go find it... my wife likes to stalk me on here, so maybe she'll pop in and comment.

ninja

Page 13 and Page 16, under 'thumbs down' and 'decapitation' respectively (both sections that cover gladiator death):

Quote:
The Combatant’s card is placed in the discard pile and any Equipment Cards are returned to the controlling Dominus.

Also, in the FAQ, there's a big section on Rigging the Match (emphasis mine):

Quote:
Question: A few questions about Rigging the Match: can Rigging the Match be used to swap a Slave in for a Gladiator? Can I use Rigging the Match on my own Gladiator? What happens to Tribute Gold paid for a Favored Gladiator if he is swapped out by Rigging the Match?

Answer: Participants in an Arena combat are called Combatants. Cards and effects that refer to Combatants affect anyone fighting in the Arena. Cards that refer to Gladiators can only affect Gladiators while cards that refer to Slaves can only affect Slaves. In the specific case of Rigging the Match, only another Gladiator may be substituted for the original Gladiator. If the target Dominus has no other Ready Gladiators, the Reaction may not be played.

The Dominus who played the Rigging the Match decides which Gladiator replaces the original Gladiator. A Dominus may target their own Gladiator with Rigging the Match. Any Dominus who committed a Gladiator to fight may be targeted, including the Host.

Since Rigging the Match is played well after Tribute is paid, a Dominus retains any Gold that was paid in Tribute. A Dominus will not receive Tribute if the replacement Gladiator has a Champion or Favor Tokens.

Any Equipment Cards committed to the match are transferred to the new Gladiator. Once Equipment Cards are committed to a fight, they cannot be changed.

If a second Rigging the Match Reaction is played in the same Arena Phase, the original Gladiator is eligible to be placed back in the fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Sequeira
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Right!

And yep, very fun card! this is the only card i always make sure to explain in the beginning, because someone asking what it does mid-game would ruin the surprise factor (there are other, but this is the most extreme in my opinion)

Very fun use of it was when i refused to use my "best in game" gladiator in a primus, because the host just needed +1 influence to win the game. and if i was put on his team we would win for sure. I send a starter, he fixes the match and sends in my good gladiator.. and we won, meaning i lost the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.