Subject: Sleeving the maps and scearios rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
hey There,
I know in some other threads people mentioned that they have stored their scenario sheets in pocket sheets for binders. I was thinking of doing this myself, but I started to wonder about the quality of the protective sheets. I wouldn't want to use them only to find out that they were actually damaging them through chemical fade or what ever.

Any comments on the use of the binder sheets, or on the binders themselves causing or contributing to damage?

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tons of binders filled with rules, maps, and various player aids for virtually all of my hex and counter wargames, including all of the CC stuff. I've been using the standard Staples and/or Office Depot binder sheets for several years now, with no apparent damage or trouble of any kind.

About the only hassle is that binders don't seem to want to sit completely flat on the shelf, unless you pack them in pretty tight. Even then, the pages can sag a little within the binder, and you *can* end up with pages that are a little bent at the bottom. This really only effects the rules pages themselves, and I've only noticed this for stuff that sits on the shelf for long periods of time without being moved. The maps are thick enough when folded not to sag, and if you plan on playing your copy of CC a lot, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C Faust
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep all the CC scenario sheets in page protectors in a dedicated binder and have had no problem with this as storage. For the page protectors, you might have an issue with storing photocopies, as the toner on the page sometimes tends to fuse onto the plastic of the protector.

As for the binders, if you get the "D" ring style as opposed to the "O" ring type, you'll be able to get more pages into the same space, and you shouldn't have as much trouble with pages getting wrinkled. I've used D ring binders for decades on large manuscripts and have never had any problem with them other than me wearing them out.

I don't bag up the individual maps, but on the other hand, I put them under plexi when I play. Between drinks, snacks, and slobbery dogs, that's when the real damage can occur (one of my pieces of plexi is still etched by a blob of a friend's spicy chili - better it than the map!).

---
Edit: Pyto
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
boddekker wrote:
Edit: Pyto

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I picked up a pack of heavy duty page protectors from a local Staples and I did a test of the sleeve using a scenario sheet from the recent c3i, and I'm notice a slight bit of the sheet sticking just above the top of the sleeve. just a bit but it's causing some OCD part of me that I didn't know existed to start cringing!
Am i going to see this same thing with other sleeves? I'm afraid this is going to cause me to go pick up the other mil thickness and also the avery brand and see what they're like.

I'm afraid.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C Faust
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ca_squires wrote:
Am i going to see this same thing with other sleeves? I'm afraid this is going to cause me to go pick up the other mil thickness and also the avery brand and see what they're like.

I'm using Avery PV119G protectors, and the scenario cards fit into them very snugly with only a millimeter or two of the protector sticking up over the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ca_squires wrote:
Well I picked up a pack of heavy duty page protectors from a local Staples and I did a test of the sleeve using a scenario sheet from the recent c3i, and I'm notice a slight bit of the sheet sticking just above the top of the sleeve. just a bit but it's causing some OCD part of me that I didn't know existed to start cringing!

I'm afraid.

Chris

Take a deep breath. What I'm about to tell you might shock you.

Get a paper cutter and trim it back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
I lucked into a deal at a local zellar's sell off, and snagged a buch of multipage protectors for a buck a peice. after sleeving a few of the cards and a couple of maps I noticed that the pages sag a bit in the binder.
Not sure if I'm going to continue.

Why am I doing this?

ASL envy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.