jay cutler
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
I do not like games with predetermined scenarios because they are bound to purchase expansions to be able to play again

but I would like a game like this in my collection, but without pre-established scenarios

looking I found these:

Betrayal at House on the Hill
DungeonQuest
Dungeon Run

I would like other suggestions or know what is best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bodybuilder wrote:
I do not like games with predetermined scenarios because they are bound to purchase expansions to be able to play again

but I would like a game like this in my collection, but without pre-established scenarios

looking I found these:

Betrayal at House on the Hill
DungeonQuest
Dungeon Run

I would like other suggestions or know what is best.

You can also get Earth Reborn (not really dungeon crawl) or Claustrophobia which have scenarios and scenario-creating systems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Super Dungeon Explore is the best dungeon crawl I have played to date. No scenerios but one player needs to play as the monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bodybuilder wrote:
I do not like games with predetermined scenarios because they are bound to purchase expansions to be able to play again...

I don't think I understand this. There are plenty of games with scenarios where you don't have to get a single expansion in order to play again. In fact there are some games with fan made scenarios free online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Nicholas
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really understand the "no scenarios" requirement, either. All dungeoncrawl games have scenarios -- you're just asking for a game that has only a single scenario as opposed to more than one. In which case, why? What's wrong with extra scenarios?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I get what the OP is saying. Certain games, for example Mansions of Madness or Heroquest, have quite heavily scripted elements for each play, be that layout of rooms, placement of monsters etc. These have a potential to limit re-playability. There is a discernible point in the future when you can see that you will have exhausted all that the scenarios have to offer, and then you'll to get more content to continue enjoying the game.

At the other end of the spectrum,The Sorceror's Cave is a free-form dungeon builder where the game creates the environment and the encounters as you play.

My own preference is towards the free-form, partially because of the unpredictability, but also because scenarios can add another layer of rules , special cases and exceptions which becomes another set of information that I have to keep track of, which in turn lessens my sense of immersion.

In spite of what I've just said, however, I'd suggest Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game and its companions. Yes, there are scenarios, but mostly they just change the end location, final boss monster and final victory conditions. The system has the variety and the re-playability of The Sorcerer's Cave; I played through the first scenario more times than I've played some full games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Carroll
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to check out Top 10 Dungeon Crawl Games, which may give you some ideas . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay cutler
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would like to ask a question to the players of descent, how does the campaign? for example, we are the first game, won the heroes then switches to the second scenario, but if the monsters win, do you have to repeat the same scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had high hopes for Dungeon Run but it fell kinda flat in my gaming group...the 'end game' was usually an anti-climax but the diversity of characters was enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Brackney
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm quite fond of Catacombs, although the mechanics are quite a departure from what you might be looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nap16 wrote:
You may want to check out Top 10 Dungeon Crawl Games, which may give you some ideas . . .

Lacks Super Dungeon Explore in the list
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matt_k wrote:
I think I get what the OP is saying. Certain games, for example Mansions of Madness or Heroquest, have quite heavily scripted elements for each play, be that layout of rooms, placement of monsters etc. These have a potential to limit re-playability. There is a discernible point in the future when you can see that you will have exhausted all that the scenarios have to offer, and then you'll to get more content to continue enjoying the game.

I guess I can see that it depends on what someone considers a scenario. A good game with scenarios still randomizes things to keep it interesting and challenging for replay value. A good example is a scenario where you kill a dragon or obtain a treasure or fight your way to the exit, however the encounters and layout may change. Randomized tiles and encounters are great but the goal is the same. I think the best scenarios are the ones that don't change the basic rules (or if they do it's very minimal and easy to remember and makes sense in the context of the theme/goal of the scenario) but make it random enough to make you want to play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, when I hear scenerios, I think of a game like Descent. I've never enjoyed scenerio driven games so I can completely understand the OP wanting to avoid them. Especially playing games with one player that controls the monsters. I prefer that player to have control over the board layout and what happens during the game, not a selection of pre-written instructions.

That said I don't know that scenerio driven games are going to have any more or less need to buy expansions than dungeon crawls without scenerios. Either format is going to have a limit on the variety of monsters and treasure and eventually if you enjoy the game enough to play often you are going to want to mix in new elements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games without scenarios are basically more a heroes players versus monsters players than a real dungeon crawl. Effectively you just have a GM running the monsters and trying to kill the other players. Though I do agree with other posters here that various scenarios are what make the game more playable in the long run. I think the more scenarios the better for any dungeon crawl, otherwise it is just all about running in, beating on things and running out.

Perhaps the like of Chaostle, DungeonQuest or Tomb may be to your liking though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay cutler
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm glad that many people share my point of view!

I do not like even the pure coop, I prefer to think there is a player who controls the monsters and not the game itself

I tried last night on earth, it's a game with scenarios, but the players decide how to position the miniatures and not the game, and also the same scenario may be different if replayed.

I try a game with this kind of scenarios, can you tell me what are the best?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay cutler
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
bodybuilder wrote:
I'm glad that many people share my point of view!

I do not like even the pure coop, I prefer to think there is a player who controls the monsters and not the game itself

I tried last night on earth, it's a game with scenarios, but the players decide how to position the miniatures and not the game, and also the same scenario may be different if replayed.

I try a game with this kind of scenarios, can you tell me what are the best?

no one can help me to find a game closest to what I want?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Crawler is one I really, really love to play. It might be what you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bodybuilder wrote:

If that's the case then Super Dungeon Explore sounds ideal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matt_k wrote:
bodybuilder wrote:

+1. Unless the theme doesn't suite you as I know not everyone likes the anime style used in SDE, this is the game that best fits what you are asking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirenx wrote:
matt_k wrote:
bodybuilder wrote:

+1. Unless the theme doesn't suite you as I know not everyone likes the anime style used in SDE, this is the game that best fits what you are asking for.

+1 to this. The game is a blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bodybuilder wrote:

You didn't even wait 3 hours for a response when pretty much all of the US was in bed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
bodybuilder wrote:

You didn't even wait 3 hours for a response when pretty much all of the US was in bed.

Clearly a desperate Geek - "must ... play... dungeon crawler... NOW!!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Owens
United States
Saginaw
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Give me Dungeonquest or give me death.

Dungeonquest hears my plea. It gives me death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David P
msg tools
mb
Quick +1 for Catacombs, the uniqueness of the game has really invigorated our playgroup and no two games are every the same. I think the Caverns of Soloth expansion is pretty good but not at all needed, he base game has a lot of replay-ability if your group enjoys the game at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.