Benjamin Piehler
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whats up BGG! My copy of Descent 2e arrived a couple of days ago. It appears to be a solid game so far. Ive decided to be a good historian, and record the events of our campaign in a series of threads for future generations to benefit from, or something like that.
Drew Meg
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
and I began our campaign last night. Asides from a couple of solo plays, neither of us have played Descent before. Both of us have played RPGs on computer before, but have limited experience with tabletop RPGs and board game RPGs.

I am playing as Overlord and Drew took the role of the heroes. We decided to use 3 heros in case more people join us in the future. The hero party is made up of Berserker Grisban, Disciple Avric and Runemaster Leoric. I will do my best to recall as many details as I can... the beer of the evening was High Life.

The first mission we undertook was the "First Blood" map.

EDIT: So the BGG community has brought to my attention we did a number of things wrong rule wise during this session. For episode II, we will start with Drew doing a modified shopping phase considering the mistakes we make here in Episode I. The outcome of the game could have been different considering the amount of time Drew spends searching when there should only be 1 tile. Thankfully, the winner of "First Blood" doesn't win any rewards asides from choosing the next scenario, or at least to my knowledge it doesn't. Obviously, we will play with the correct rules from now on.

Round I
Drew decided to move the heroes to the middle of the map intersection and forgo using a 2nd action.

Mauler moves even farther from the heroes. The goblins path to the exit is blocked by the heroes, so they inch a bit closer and fire at Leoric, only doing a bit of damage.

Round II
Grisban moves and then attacks the Master Goblin Archer but due to some poor rolling, only does 1 damage. Leoric moves to the North search pile and performs a search. I can't remember the order of the search draws, but I do know that Drew managed to get all 8 search tokens flipped. Averic fatigue moves to get adjacent to Mauler and double attacks. Mauler's formidable defense prevents Averic's first attack from doing any damage and the second did 2 damage. Drew managed to roll two surges, but could only stun Mauler as he was already at full health.

Mauler resolves his stun and the goblins take the opportunity to sprint towards the exit. All three minion goblins double move, some get as far as the middle of the pool on the West side of the map. The Master goblin moves to the middle of the crossroads and does a ranged attack on Leoric... he manages to get Leoric to about 50% HP.

Round III
Grisban moves from the Wild Garden on the East side of the map to my Master Goblin in the middle and easily kills him with his 2h Axe. Leoric double searches and Averic double attacks Mauler, this time with no surges. Mauler takes 3 damage (10 hp remaining).

The 3 goblin minions in the pool use all their actions to move from the pond to the exit, earning me 3 of my 5 required fatigue. Mauler moves and attacks the weakened Leoric. Thanks to a surge roll, Leoric is knocked down and I recieve another OL card devil. I reinforce with a Master Goblin.

Round IV
Averic fatigue moves next to the downed Leoric and then heals him for a couple hp. He then attacks Mauler, doing a damage and stunning him. Leoric takes the fourth search token in the North pile, exausting it (not sure if having the search piles have four tokens each is the official rules or not, but thats how we've played so far) and then drinks a health potion... getting him almost back to full hp. Grisban moves and attacks my Master Goblin Archer, who barely survives.

I play my Dash card and move my Master Goblins all the way to the exit. I now have 4/5 fatigue tokens. Mauler then resolves his stun condition and then I reinforce with a Master Goblin who I place in the bottom right corner of the Wild Gardens.

Round V
Leoric moves to the South search pile and searches. I play poison dart, but Drew successfully performs the awareness check. Grisban uses a fatigue to move next to my new Master Goblin and prepares to double attack him... Except he kills the Master Goblin in 1 swing. He moves bacak to the square he began in, keeping most of the Wild Garden within a square or two. Averic double attacks Mauler who after the double attack has taken 8 of his 14 damage.

Mauler moves a square for the hell of it and then attacks Averic, doing only 1 or 2 damage. I reinforce another Master Goblin.

I may have gotten 4 out of 5 goblinss to the exit, but Grisban is in a good position to double attack any reinforcements I place in the Wild Garden. Averic is chipping away at Mauler while Leoric is rapidly depleating the search tokens... and I have no dash cards, even if any of my goblins do survive.

Round VI
Leoric double searches. There is now only 1 search token left. Grisban fatigue moves and kills my Master Goblin... this time needing both attacks. Averic double attacks Mauler, who after defense rolls only takes 1 damage, but is stunned. 9/14 Dmg is done to Mauler.

I draw a dash card! Oh, if only I could keep a Goblin Archer alive for a turn! Fortunatly, I've got a few overlord cards that I am ready to throw down. I resolve the stun condition on Mauler and place yet another Master Goblin Archer in the Wild Garden.

Round VII
Leoric takes the final search token and moves towards the center of the crossroads. Averic again double attacks Mauler and I throw yet another bad defense roll. Mauler takes 3 damage and has now lost 12 of his 14 health. At the beginning of Grisban's turn, I play the "hypnotize" card... I'm drawing a blank on its name. Drew fails the attribute check roll and I move him towards the center of the map. Grisban then moves back towards the Master Goblin and attacks him. I use the "re-roll a die" OL card to reroll one of my defense dice. The Master Goblin only takes 2 damage!

I use dash on my Master Goblin Archer and double move him, allowing him to juuust get to the exit, immeadiatly ending the game.

Experience Phase:
Leoric spends his 1 XP on unlocking "Ghost Armor". Grisban spends his on "Brute" and Averic decides to save 1 XP.

The Overlord adds "Exploding Rune" to the Overlord deck.

Shopping Phase
Drew amassed 8 search cards during the encounter, and purchases Iron Shield for Averic and Heavy Cloak for Leoric. He has 100 gold remaining in his coffers.

Remaining Cards in OL Hand
2x Frenzy, 2x Tripwire, 2x Dark Might, 1x Critical Blow, 1x Word of Misery
--------------------------------------------------

At this point we called it for our gaming session... it was getting late and we'd amassed a number of empty beer cans... It was a really close game! Drew was pretty sure he had it in the bag, and he would have if I hadnt ended the game that turn. I was pleased to have won the first encounter, but there were no rewards for winning and Drew managed to accumulate a good bit of gold for his heroes. It was also Drews first time learning the game, and I probably took advantage of that as well. I expect the next encounter will be another close one...

Thanks for reading! If we're playing the rules wrong, we'd love to know... we're noobs after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bpiehler wrote:
Drew managed to get all 8 search tokens flipped.

WHOA! Unless you are using some house rule, there should only be one search token per hero. One in the 1 space, one in the 2 space, one in the 3 space.

Using eight brings way too much money into the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Did your goblins use their "Scamper" ability to move through heroes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Piehler
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kubigaruma wrote:
Bpiehler wrote:
Drew managed to get all 8 search tokens flipped.

WHOA! Unless you are using some house rule, there should only be one search token per hero. One in the 1 space, one in the 2 space, one in the 3 space.

Using eight brings way too much money into the game.

Smacks forehead. Drew is not going to be pleased to hear this, haha. We obviously messed that up big time. I just too all the regular search tokens and divided them evenly between the two searches... Oh lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Piehler
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:
Did your goblins use their "Scamper" ability to move through heroes?

I actually forgot about scamper completely. I'm learning a lot by posting this session report!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, not having 8 searches will dramatically reduce the gold he has available to him too (keeping his heroes in check item wise for that first quest).

Also, what does this mean?

Bpiehler wrote:

Just for our reading enjoyment or are you keeping the cards from Quest 1 to Quest 2? In between quests, the Overlord can spend XP and then trim his deck down to 15 cards. He then shuffles and draws 1 card per hero. He doesn't keep his hand from the previous quest (encounters are different).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Piehler
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Yes, not having 8 searches will dramatically reduce the gold he has available to him too (keeping his heroes in check item wise for that first quest).

Also, what does this mean?

Bpiehler wrote:

Just for our reading enjoyment or are you keeping the cards from Quest 1 to Quest 2? In between quests, the Overlord can spend XP and then trim his deck down to 15 cards. He then shuffles and draws 1 card per hero. He doesn't keep his hand from the previous quest (encounters are different).

-shnar

I actually thought those carried over blush. But Ill play it off cool and say it's for your reading enjoyment cool.

We'll probably have to re-do the shopping phase for Drew... What is a fair amount of gold to spend going into the 2nd mission?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randomly draw 4 search cards and count the gold, sounds fair to me.

And the Overlord cards carry over from Encounter 1 to Encounter 2 in the same quest, but they don't carry over from one Quest to the next Quest.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

You mean 3, right? It's a 3 hero game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kubigaruma wrote:
shnar wrote:

You mean 3, right? It's a 3 hero game.

I really mean draw a number of cards equal to the number of heroes.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.