Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Acquire» Forums » General

Subject: Just found thrift copy sans one stock certificate, will it affect gameplay much? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Knutson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found a copy of 2008 version of Acquire at a local thrift store. It is missing a (red) Continental Stock card. Will this have much impact on gameplay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yepper - the total # of stocks is a big deal, but there is nothing special or secret about the cards themselves, so recreating one won't effect the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Time to fire up the old scanner.

Gg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll say both yes and no

The simple answer is yes, you need it.

The simple fix is to just use any marker you desire and there is no negative impact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scan one, print it, cut it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skrebs
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play with open stock holdings, just us a playing card as a substitute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carlough
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
High adventure in the world of high finance...
mbmbmbmbmb
The game will work just as well without the certificate. Some versions of acquire actually come with different numbers of certificates for different companies. You could just take one of each out and then it would play just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jasoncarlough wrote:
The game will work just as well without the certificate. Some versions of acquire actually come with different numbers of certificates for different companies. You could just take one of each out and then it would play just fine.

I don't believe that is correct. There are always exactly 25 stocks per company in all versions of Acquire as far as I have heard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
25 per company. I don't think it's meant to be played with less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Slaven
United States
Sioux City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should make a substitute, since there are supposed to be 25 of each. As for the fact that it won't match the others, if you play open holdings it won't matter. If you play closed holdings, Just make sure that your homemade card is no larger than the others so that it can hide at the bottom of the stack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann SoFrankly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think even for closed holdings, reducing the number of all stocks to 24 would be alright, as long as all players are informed ahead of time. The magic isn't in the exact number of stocks, but in knowing how many might be held by different individuals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Knutson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the answers and suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N/A
United States
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a "spare parts" thread around here somewhere where you can post your needs re: missing pieces and such. Let me see if I can fetch you the link...

edit:
It's a GeekList. Here you go:

2012 SPARE PARTS RESOURCE LIST

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
jasoncarlough wrote:

Wrong. All editions have 25 of each stock. Scan and print the missing stock, it isn't like a deck of cards with hidden info. Somebody on ebay sells missing cards cheap, so you could search there if you're really particular about your game bits (like me.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tmredden wrote:
Wrong. All editions have 25 of each stock.
In a practical sense, yes. But there was an earliest iteration which differed from the standard which we all know now that has carried through multiple versions that followed.

see this file:
Original 1962 Rules for Acquire (Variant)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
b a n j o wrote:
tmredden wrote:
jasoncarlough wrote:

Wrong. All editions have 25 of each stock. Scan and print the missing stock, it isn't like a deck of cards with hidden info. Somebody on ebay sells missing cards cheap, so you could search there if you're really particular about your game bits (like me.)

False. The original World Map edition of the game had a disparity in the number of stocks. So, NO, all editions do not have 25 of each stock. The World Map edition contains the following stocks:

22 Continental
24 Tower
26 Luxor
29 American
31 Worldwide
33 Imperial
35 Festival

Interesting. I admit I did not know that. Still, the game has evolved since that early release (which is far from available) such that 25 of each stock is expected. I've played so many games that way that if I was told we were playing differently I probably would opt out. Missing stocks are easy enough to scan.and.print (or buy on ebay) that changing the game seems like an extreme option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.