Hide
13 Posts

DreadBall: The Futuristic Sports Game» Forums » General

Subject: Dreadball What do you think? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon PJ Jon PJ
msg tools
Hello all, Just wondering what you guys think about Dreadball by Mantic Games. It has the look of Tron but with added league play....and of course a good dose of violence. I know a few of the playtesters who have told me that the game runs very well, and unlike some first impressions isn't Blood Bowl in Space.

Anyways let me know what you think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This reads like a press relaese. If it is this is the wrong forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering this is a KS project in it's early stages, you might as well ask on the games actual forum.

http://boardgamegeek.com/forums/thing/129731/dreadball-the-f...

To me it looks like an already funded game due to miniatures with no real examples of gameplay. Have fun with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy waffles
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
JonPJ wrote:
Hello all, Just wondering what you guys think about Dreadball by Mantic Games. It has the look of Tron but with added league play....and of course a good dose of violence. I know a few of the playtesters who have told me that the game runs very well, and unlike some first impressions isn't Blood Bowl in Space.

Is this you? http://jonathanpeace.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/review-dreadball...

If yes, that is a nice write up; if not, you should read it, it is a nice write up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teik Chooi Oh
United Kingdom
Chorley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JonPJ wrote:

I see it more akin to 'Sci-Fi version of Basketball' rather than Blood Bowl 'Fantasy version of American Football'. Fast-paced, higher scoring but equally violent I expect.

What I really like about it as a KS is the free UK shipping

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's more like Football (Soccer) than Basketball. Makes sense since Mantic's from the UK.

Anywho, I think the goal hexes could use some work being prettied up. Either by goal posts or a little net marker to put on the goal hexes.

I know it's a miniatures game and you need to use some imagination but still. Given the success of the kickstarter already it could be a stretch reward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I won´t touch this.
I was so disappointed with Project Pandora. It sounded great in the first place, the cover looked great and I bought it without knowing the rules.
It arrived and the whole material was a disapointment although it was made looking good on the website. The (paper)box was already fallen apart when it arrived, the models didn´t fit together well, the tokens were printed off center, the rulebook was b/w and said it contains things that just weren´t there. The overall impression: cheap production to sell minis.
The system looked interesting but there are important open questions that were never answered on the designer´s forum or by mantic since asked two or three months ago.
Looking at the BGG entry the game seems to be pretty dead.
Sold it.

I love Blood Bowl and I´m very interested in this kind of games but it´s the same publisher and the same designer. I´ll wait till it´s released and read the comments here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teik Chooi Oh
United Kingdom
Chorley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blair46 wrote:
I think it's more like Football (Soccer) than Basketball. Makes sense since Mantic's from the UK.

Anywho, I think the goal hexes could use some work being prettied up. Either by goal posts or a little net marker to put on the goal hexes.

I know it's a miniatures game and you need to use some imagination but still. Given the success of the kickstarter already it could be a stretch reward.

For me I think the fast pace and higher scoring plus larger points for throwing from further is more akin to basketball or a multi-target handball even than (true) football.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Thornton
United Kingdom
Wallsend
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
@ Lines - sorry to hear you didn't get on with PP. If the box had missing components then you should have returned it. That's what I always do.

The rules questions on my blog were mostly dealt with quickly. The more complex ones have had to wait till I got DreadBall out of the way as it ate all my time. More importantly, they were too complex to deal with when my head was full of a completely different game without risking being wrong and making things worse. I only have one brain, I'm afraid, and it can't be doing detailed work on 2 completely different systems at the same time.

That said, none of the issues raised should stop you playing it.

Finally, in terms of component quality, DreadBall is much higher quality that previous board games by Mantic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon PJ Jon PJ
msg tools
Its not a press release and I do not work for Mantic. I'm just really excited about this product and wanted to get a general feel/idea/impression others had about the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siegfried Steurer
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I am quite disappointed. The Artwork and theme are great, but after seeing the latest video this seems to be just another risk-y dicefest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first saw the promotional image for the game, it instantly reminded me of Klash Ball for the NES. Great game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Otto Sandstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
I can't say that I've looked through the rules as much as I could, but from what i've seen and read from Jake, the game designers blogg, http://quirkworthy.com/ and from looking at the content I have a good feeling about this game! I would recomend reading Jakes blogg, from a couple of post ago, and looking through the updates on the Kickstarter and gather as much information as possible your self.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.