Morten Jønsson
Denmark
KBH S
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
can monsters open doors that have not previously been opened by the heroes?

the reason i'm asking is that in the second edition all monsters are placed on the table straight away rather than being revealed with each individual room, so what's to keep the overlord from simply racing every single monster to the first room and swamping the heroes?

i'm sorry if this information is painfully obvious somewhere in the manual(s)... but i simply can't find anything to prevent the above scenario

thanks for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
We few,we happy few,we band of brothers;For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother: be he ne’er so vile;And gentlemen in England now-abed Shall think themself accurs’d they were no here That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

page 11 in the section "overlord turn in detail" states one of the actions a monster can do is to open or close a door.

nothing bout if previously opened by heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Jønsson
Denmark
KBH S
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
it just seems that the optimal strategy for the overlord is to rush every single monster to the first room, in order to overpower the heroes (by concentrating his forces) and complete his objective, thusly leaving the rest of the dungeon a ghost-town... seems curious to me.

anyways, thanks for the answer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Davies
msg tools
mbmbmb
Some quests (like cardinal part 2) don't allow the overlord to put monsters in room until the heroes open the door.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not the best tactic at all usually, I don't know if you have read the quests, but usually the heroes and the OL have a specific goal, and if you just rush agains the heroes usually you'll fail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless otherwise noted, a Monster can open any door. Specific quests though do not allow monsters to open doors (like the afore mentioned Cardinal's Plight), or allow them to open the door after a triggering condition.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joel siragher
United States
silver spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in castle daeron on page six of the quest book, it doesnt mention it, but if you allow the monsters to open doors, all the villagers get killed immediately that doesnt seem quite fair.

please respond... clarify

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, monsters can open doors on Castle Daeron. Otherwise, the Overlord would have no chance, just stick all the NPCs in the middle and close the doors then they could never be killed.

It's difficult but not impossible to save all NPCs. I have once finished this quest with all 4 still alive.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
runescience wrote:
in castle daeron on page six of the quest book, it doesnt mention it, but if you allow the monsters to open doors, all the villagers get killed immediately that doesnt seem quite fair.

please respond... clarify
Opening a door costs one action, so if a monster opens a door, then moves towards a villager, its turn is finished - unless you have a Frenzy card handy...
And heroes move first, IIRC, so the villagers also can flee from the monsters and the heroes can carve some flesh before the monsters have their turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.