Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drschaffner wrote:
Anyone know what this is for?

It will be for use on the website, with the online Dominion thing. But it's not active yet. The first cards like this came out with the Base Cards set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks! I figured it was related to the online Dominion game site, but the instructions indicated that it should be held up to a mobile device.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Arnold
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I was fiddling with the Base Cards one for a while, I think maybe it's specifically to get a promo or discount or something? Not sure how it will tie in but the cards from each set are different if memory serves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gray
United States
Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it will trigger a multi-touch gesture when held on the phone with the app open.

(Cut & paste from my post on G+ https://plus.google.com/103850062796903816685/posts/WNaytFhE...)

It includes a card which it instructs you to "hold here" and hold up to the screen of your phone. At first, I thought this couldn't possibly make any sense: NFC isn't super ubiquitous and works on the back of phones. It wasn't telling you to hold it up to the camera, and besides, there's nothing obviously machine-readable on the card. The card isn't transparent and didn't look like it would "line up" with anything on screen in any meaningful way. But, I figured they must have something up their sleeves.

Opening up +Markers, and holding the card up against the screen as directed yields 5 spots. They have some sort of conductive element in the card creating a multi-touch interaction. I'm guessing once the real app comes out, if you do this, it will recognize the particular spacing/configuration of this 5-touch gesture and do something interesting.

It's clever in that it should work well across a broad variety of devices, but is hard or impossible to accidentally trigger by hand, depending how precise the tolerances are on the spacing of the 5 points. I look forward to seeing what the app actually does with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
mkgray wrote:
I think it will trigger a multi-touch gesture when held on the phone with the app open.

(Cut & paste from my post on G+ https://plus.google.com/103850062796903816685/posts/WNaytFhE...)

It includes a card which it instructs you to "hold here" and hold up to the screen of your phone. At first, I thought this couldn't possibly make any sense: NFC isn't super ubiquitous and works on the back of phones. It wasn't telling you to hold it up to the camera, and besides, there's nothing obviously machine-readable on the card. The card isn't transparent and didn't look like it would "line up" with anything on screen in any meaningful way. But, I figured they must have something up their sleeves.

Opening up +Markers, and holding the card up against the screen as directed yields 5 spots. They have some sort of conductive element in the card creating a multi-touch interaction. I'm guessing once the real app comes out, if you do this, it will recognize the particular spacing/configuration of this 5-touch gesture and do something interesting.

It's clever in that it should work well across a broad variety of devices, but is hard or impossible to accidentally trigger by hand, depending how precise the tolerances are on the spacing of the 5 points. I look forward to seeing what the app actually does with it.

Really cool find. I'm curious about the algorithm behind it. iOS and Android browsers both have an array of points in the touchMove events. The different phones have very different resoultions, so I guess the algorithm checks the relative positions, with some tolerance for rotation when dragging horizontally.

Wonder who thought this up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick ZInn
United States
Vacaville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it will let you get the dark ages deck without paying since you bought the physical game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McNeal
msg tools
Maybe it's using Touchcode? Described here:

http://gizmodo.com/5941313/how-does-the-ipads-touchscreen-re...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.